Author Topic: Range report  (Read 5918 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Range report
« on: May 13, 2019, 04:47:12 PM »
Those of you who have been around this year may remember that my Covert “ate” the slide retainer pin and broke the hammer strut.  After filing down the burrs and the rails and replacing the pin and the strut (MANY THANKS TO ERIC!!!) took it to the range and had a failure to fully extract impaction of the next round against the fired case, but also the trigger spring kept slipping off on the hammer side, so did some bending...now it was slipping off the trigger side. Did some more smoothing and filing, same result. Grips were tight and I was afraid the pistol was a dead loss.  On a whim I removed the VZ grip (ejection side) that I had on it for years and put on the original R9 grip.  Now it works like a charm!  I cannot imagine what happened to the grip, and next trip will put it on my spare R9 to see if it works there.

After confirming the problem by re-trying the old VZ grip, went back to the original grip.  I shot Spear 124 Gold Dot at 7 yards and the first two rounds were very low left (took out the man-target’s liver).  I realized I was staging the trigger and aiming, IMO a bad habit with pocket pistols used for self-defense, so I went back to quick-fire point and shoot.  With the Covert, which has a bright white dot on the front sight, the first 3 rounds were in the 10 ring, #4 was in the far left side of the 9, and slightly low, and #5 was almost in the same place in the 8 ring...so happy my Pup is back!

I also fired my spare, a standard model and did not do as well.  I realized that even though I did not think I was using the sights on the Covert, the white dot on the front sight created a nearly instantaneous correction to the “point” of my “point and shoot”....Will equip the spare R9 with a white dot for sure!

I am really impressed with my Sig P365 and will make it my EDC when carrying IWB/OWB.  Here in Florida front pocket carry is usually necessary, and I sometimes use my Seecamp .32, but for comfort plus power, in my book nothing beats the R9 in a DeSantis Nemesis or Superfly holster.

Again, many thanks to Eric who was instrumental in resurrecting my Covert.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Range report
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 06:46:41 PM »
Thank You and I am glad that everything has turned out well backup.

Carry on . . . . . . . .

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 09:22:33 PM »
Good to hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 02:02:00 AM »
Did you examine the VZ grips to see what the difference was between the factory grips? I have a pair of VZ's on mine.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 10:14:59 AM »
Haven’t been back to the range recently. The original grip is flatter but the inside of the grip should be the same The VZ grips were the ones I had on the pistol for about 3 years and they always worked fine...Generally the problem would be caused by the upper right grip screw not getting the grip tight enough.  I’ll try it on another R9 when I get a chance to see if it is the grip or the gun.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 09:43:00 AM »
Range trip yesterday....did not change grips, but put in a new spring.  I ordered 1000 rnds of Lawman 124 several months ago, but did not open the box until yesterday...it was 9mm American Eagle FMJ 124...too late to fuss, so I tried to shoot it...the R9 does not like it.  I had some Lawman 115 with me, shot 30 rounds without a hitch.  I usually do not shoot 115 gr and had forgotten how brisk the recoil is in an R9!  I really like the P365 but there is nothing that carries as well as the R9.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis