Author Topic: Another small gun :)  (Read 12210 times)

Offline Datan

Another small gun :)
« on: June 18, 2004, 12:52:28 PM »
Guess this is an area for "other" guns so I'll talk about something different - a Serbu Super Shorty.  My reason for buying it was one of the reasons I bought the R9S - because I love small things… small guns, computers, electronic items, and so on - the more powerful the better.  There was another thread that asked if folks like expensive things - guess the question here is along the lines of small things..

This is the smallest 12 gauge that I know of; a Serbu Super Shorty with a 6 inch barrel (yes, it's class 3).  After shooting this thing, the recoil of anything else seems nearly non-existent.  It puts the biggest smile on my face every time I fire it and look at the damage it does to the target.  And I can carry it concealed (although I haven't) :).

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Another small gun :)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 03:03:47 PM »
I had and got rid of an NAA mini-revolver -- now I would like to have it back.  Now THAT is small...  
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Datan

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 03:46:23 PM »
Yes, I have one of those too.  It was the first gun I bought.  My wife told me one day that she had a dream of shooting someone with the little .22 revolver and that the bullet bounced off.  She then asked me to buy a bigger gun... I was happy to do so :)

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 04:18:50 PM »
Datan, my goodness, a vest-pocket howitzer! How many rounds does it hold, and what is the pattern like at say, 15 feet? Wouldn't a folding stock be welcome on such a beast?

Offline Datan

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 04:49:31 PM »
It holds 2+1 of 2 3/4" or 3" shells.  The pattern is ~ 4.5 inches at 20 ft with 00 buck.  The pistol grip works well and avoided a $200 tax stamp (only a $5 tax stamp) - yes it does take getting used to.  I hold and fire it from a few inches above the hip.  I found that after a few shots, I am able to shoot it accurately - seems pretty natural.  2 3/4" reduced recoil shells are quite tolerable.  I won't shoot more than a few rounds of the regular 00 buck or slugs, however.  The Aguila minishells are great fun in this gun - I could shoot them all day.  They won't cycle properly, however, without a slight modification to the feed ramp and extractor that's not supposed to affect the cycling of regular sized shells - I'm thinking of doing this because I could then get 3+1 capacity.

You can read all about it and see a video of it being shot at: http://www.serbu.com/shorty.htm

I sure that the shells being shot in the video are NOT regular full power shells.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 05:06:17 PM »
Datan ... be sure to remind me to walk behind you!!  But not close to your elbow however . as recoil will I feel result in some significant rearward motion.!

That has to be the ultimate ''visual deterrant'' ... A BG seeing that will comply! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thought I'd better add another ''small'' gun .... to help match that howitzer of yours ... haha ...... this is 'only' 45-70 :) . just a ''mouse'' revo!!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 05:13:01 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 07:38:15 PM »
I'm drooling.

Offline Datan

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 01:05:09 AM »
R9SCarry, That "mouse revo" of yours would have the same visual effect as well I'm sure - nice!  Wouldn't want to see that pointed my way.  

Okay, I like big things too :)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 02:08:20 PM »
Hi R9s:

Is that a Freedom Arms SA revolver?

On my wish list of guns, I want a Freedom Arms 44 mag revolver.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 09:55:20 PM »
[size=13]Is that a Freedom Arms SA revolver?[/size]

George ... no, this is Magnum Research's BFR ..... I have lusted myself for a Freedom Arms but ... this appealed because it is available in 45-70 ... and I love it ... call it ''Mr Large''! :)  ''BFR'' .... ''Biggest Finest Revolver'' ..... of course, the acronym can be altered, as you wish!!!!!

I am still playing with loads .. currently shoving a 405 grain laserCast SWC with 40 grains of good ol' Reloader 7 ..... that is quite ''sturdy'' as loads go and achieves around 1500 ft lbs.  I estimate pressure to be around 30,000 which is sorta mid-range (lever rifle) stuff.

Apparently . the gun will take hotter loads such as one might use in a Ruger #1 or #3 rifle ... pushing up to 35,000 region.  I think tho things might get a tad ''uncomfortable'' up at this level with hand held. !

Mind you .. someone mentioned about this gun .... ''is it crew-served'' haha!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 12:16:42 AM »
Well.... If we're talking hand cannons, I have to throw in my baby.  It has a way of clearing out the pistol line at my range -- guys actually leave to go to the rifle range when I shoot a few rounds.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 12:17:04 AM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 11:38:09 AM »
All of these photos are causing the drool that is collecting under my seat to become a safety hazard.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 11:53:01 AM »
Fly
Someone needs to make a Carbine stock for that beauty...
RJ=

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 12:00:11 PM »
RJ,

No chance for a custom pocket holster??  It would make a great marketing tool!
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Bandit

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2004, 09:24:51 PM »
Datan-

That shotgun is per se illegal in the very State it is manufactured, unless it is lawfully owned and possessed under provisions of federal law.

If you don't mind sharing.....what hoops did you have to jump through in order to purchase that gun?  Please describe.

I went to the website and it sounded like a hassle to say the least.  Do you have to retain a BATF certificate or something to prove it is legit just in case?  Thanks for your reply.