Author Topic: Good News  (Read 1696 times)

Offline 5hole

Good News
« on: July 04, 2006, 05:55:11 PM »
Since originally firing rounds through my R9s, I have since run around 125 rounds through it with no misfeeds. Apparently I was limp wristing and absorbing the slide action through my wrist instead through the slide and the round feed. I fed it 125gr Independence, 125gr Remingtons UMCs and Federal 147gr Hyra-shok.
    I have cleaned the pup twice because the superlube grease gets dirty fast. I have however noticed 1 potential issue I would like some feedback on. There appears to be some wearing on the frame from the slide movement. I've attached a picture for review. If anyone could inform me if this is normal or I should take further action with the factory I would greatly appreciate it.

By the way, I absolutely love the R9s. Groupings were nice at 18.5 to 21 feet. I'm confident it will do the job if ever called into duty.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9813/pict04411nx.jpg

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: Good News
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 07:24:16 PM »
5hole,
Welcome to the forum, and I'm happy to read your R9 is behaving itself.  

Frame wear:  There have been several threads over the last year on the condition you photographed.  My R9 shows the same wear, and after 600 rounds I've stopped worrying about it.  The abrasion thru the anodized finish alarmed me at first.  Other forum members posted similar photos.  The condition seems to stabilize after a couple of hundred rounds.  And Karl Rohrbaugh has been quoted as saying the wear is 'normal'.  :P
Just keep it clean and well lubed, and you should be okay.

Steve

Offline 5hole

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 08:31:31 PM »
Thankyou Steve for your quick response. This is a very helpful and useful forum. Have a happy 4th of July.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 10:43:47 PM »
5hole

Welcome and I'm glad you have had a good R9 experience - post often.

Everything Steve said about the frame wear is exactly correct.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 10:44:57 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 11:05:05 PM »
5hole,

Welcome to the forum..

Glad to hear about your pup.. 8)

Some wear appears normal it seems to have been reported..

My pups have shown a bit but I assume they all vary as things are..

Once again Welcome and enjoy your pocket rocket..

Brenden

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 12:28:18 AM »
5hole - welcome from me also :)

Yes - the ''wear'' is self-limiting and is IMO due simply to the extra fine toilerances of the gun.  Chances are the R Bros could machine away a small amount more of the frame in that area and so then we might see nothing.

It is purely down to the barrel movement during its drop and climb within the unlock  - relock sequence - limited of course by the main pin.

Glad you have ''tamed'' the pup and yes - assiduous cleaning and re-lube is way to go.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.