Author Topic: Anyone's R9 been flawless?  (Read 4054 times)

Offline 75scout

Anyone's R9 been flawless?
« on: October 15, 2006, 05:44:53 PM »
Have any of the R9 owners had a 100% flawless one?  With all of the pocket pistols I read about I hear of some that are never reliable, some become 100% after X number of rounds, and some are flawless from day 1.  So whats your story?  Has yours always been 100%?  Or did it become reliable after some number of rounds?

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Anyone's R9 been flawless?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 08:03:31 PM »
Mine was perfect at 62 rounds.  Then I carried for five months without cleaning, and it had one failure in each of three magazines.

Bill

Offline eblackhawk

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 08:20:52 PM »
So far, 250 rounds through the pup with federals, gold dots and Winchester White Box and not so much as a burp, let alone hiccup!
                                                 Eric

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 08:38:38 PM »
No problems here.  I think the silent majority have not had any problems.  Then again I remember reading that the average number of rounds put through all firearms was a whopping total of seven.  I would think that most firearms are never fired and then you have some that have several thousands of rounds through them.

Offline mtarnold5

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 10:16:15 PM »
Hello, Not flawless.......but very close!  120 rds. thus far..........1 failure. I think it may have been my fault though.

Take care, Mike Arnold

Offline 75scout

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 11:04:54 PM »
It's good to hear such good results.  After my experience with a Kahr PM40 I am a little leery about purchasing another pocket pistol.  Especially after reading reviews about reliability issues.

Offline Seven

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 11:17:19 PM »
Not entirely flawless...at 85 rounds have had some failure-to-feed with WWB, but never had problems with 115 gr Gold Dots, which is my carry ammo.  I think if your pup is a little particular about what it'll eat, GDs or Silver Tips are the way to go.

Like Science Fiction?  Read my novel for free:  
http://www.communionofdreams.com/

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 06:35:49 AM »
Flawless!

WWB fmj and Gold Dot 115 go through my R9 like X-Lax through a goose.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Ubik380

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 09:05:21 AM »
Again, Winchester white box, and Gold Dots as well as Silvertips feed flawlessly. I changed my recoil spring at about 200 and have shot as much since with no misfeeds or other failures after the first fifty rounds. However I _can_ make it fail using Horniday TAP ammo.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 08:40:26 PM »
Mine has been flawless since day one.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 01:51:52 PM »
My R9 has been perfect approx 200 rounds. WWB and Gold Dot 115s. Goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Have let many people shoot the gun including my then 15 year old daughter, perfect throughout. I am very happy with the gun. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 04:03:57 PM »
From the testing I did with my #1 pup - I cannot say flawless - simply because I tried all sorts of ammo and did have a few issues - plus of course to be fair, some testing was also really in the break-in period.  Some info on that is accessible thru my FAQ.

However, I discount those minor hiccups entirely and once settled into my (still) regular 124 GD carry option, it functioned fine.  That one is now a queen in safe but #2 has been near perfect - and I broke that in mostly with FMJ's and then moved it on to my GD's - with really no problems.

I did get to recognize, well for me anyways - a significant part of shooting that gun is in getting the grip right.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 11:04:07 PM »
My number one has been fine.

My number two is still NIB.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
My Re: Anyone's R9 been flawless?
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 11:28:33 PM »
My number two has been fine;
Number one is still in the box.

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 02:18:47 AM »
my r9 (which i recently sold to a friend) was flawless for the 200 rounds i put through it (mixed off the shelf fodder - nothing weird).  my buddy has put another 50 or so through it and reported nothing bad so far.  HIS problem is going to be not overfiring it . . . he'd go to the range with it every day if he could.   got to remind him to check his spring pretty quick.  

i am of course thinking of replacing my r9 with a new stealth model . . .  it's hard to think of that 1000 dollar bill floating through the mail when my used kel-tec p3-at only cost me $225, and so far (knock on wood) has been without flaw for the 150 rounds i've pumped through it.

regards to all on the forum.  i keep coming back to see what's going on.

michael hildebrand
juneau, alaska