Author Topic: Max # of rounds for an R9  (Read 1439 times)

Offline 75scout

Max # of rounds for an R9
« on: May 01, 2007, 09:47:31 PM »
What would you guys estimate as a maximum number of rounds a Rohrbaugh can have shot through it before breaking?  I know its very subjective and varies from gun to gun, but whats your guess?  

I ask this because I like to shoot all of my guns frequently.  I don't abuse any of them, but I bought them to shoot not to keep in the safe or just carry.  It keeps my skill level up for that particular weapon and keeps up my confidence that it will function 100% in the clutch.

To be honest thats the main reason I'm looking at the R380.  The dramatically lower recoil should increase the round limit by quite a bit.  That and follow-up shots will be much faster and more accurate.

Offline grayfeathers

Re: Max # of rounds for an R9
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 10:53:18 AM »
I think that as long as you follow the manufactures guideline for replacing the springs and proper lubercation, that you can shoot the Rohrbaugh just about as much as any other wel made firearm.

Offline harrydog

• Master
Re: Max # of rounds for an R9
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 04:25:54 PM »
I think that as long as you follow the manufactures guideline for replacing the springs and proper lubercation, that you can shoot the Rohrbaugh just about as much as any other wel made firearm.
I'm not so sure that the R9 would withstand 100,000+ rounds like a 1911 or certain other larger pistols, regardless of how well you maintain it. Because of its size the gun takes a bit of a beating which is why +P ammo is not recommended.
The highest number of rounds through any single R9 that I'm aware of is around 5000.
However, it was never meant to be a range gun that digests huge amounts of ammo. Its only mission in life is to be carried for self defense purposes. Once you're satisfied that it's reliable, there's really no need to shoot it much, other than an occasional test firing of a magazine or two to keep yourself familiar with it.