Author Topic: It's Here!  (Read 1729 times)

Offline 4mallard

It's Here!
« on: September 17, 2010, 04:42:03 PM »
Gentlemen:

Thought I would let everyone know, the new R9s from Tom Watson arrived today. The pistol and everything in the box were all fine, but Old Reliable Post Office Department, up to its usual tricks. had crushed the outer box and plastic case. Speaks well for the case, as anything of lesser quality would have resulted in damage to the contents. It also reinforces my experience with the Post Office, which has been almost universally bad.

The good news is, Tom called Maria, who is sending out a new plastic box, directly to me. As you may recall, this Pup is going in for some custom work, then into the safe, unfired. The plastic case is a necessary component to such an arrangement, and since there are no labels or other markings on the plastic case, only on the external cardboard box, it will work out fine. I can salvage the outer box, so all's well.

I believe it speaks awfully well for a dealer and for a manufacturer, who get right on the problem and fix it. And on a Friday afternoon! My confidence level, which was already very high for both of them, just ratcheted up a few notches.

So, from the first e-mail to Tom to gun-in-hand, about ten days, including a weekend. Man, how do you beat that? As I said before, don't say it if you don't mean it.

Kindest regards,

4mallard
"Speed is life."
James "Red" Best
RADM, USN (Ret.)
Gunfighter Extraordinaire

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: It's Here!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:01:31 PM »
4mallard.  Grreat balls of fire; the R9 is there.  I know you're proud, and will be even more so when you get the custom work done.  Enjoy.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline cooperr1234

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:08:26 PM »
Nice, good luck. What kind of work you getting done ? I'm always looking to spend money I dont have and have the wife stay mad at me.

Offline 4mallard

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »
Thanks, KJ. This story is made even better by the fact that neither Tom nor Rohrbaugh was obligated to do anything. The problem with the crushed box/case was really my problem, and one I rightly could have been expected to work out with the Postal Service. I asked Tom to get me another case, but would have cheerfully paid for it. However, that issue was never even discussed. Instead, I got an e-mail from Tom, saying that Maria was sending the new case directly to me. Guys, that's the kind of folks we're dealing with here. You gotta love it.

4mallard
"Speed is life."
James "Red" Best
RADM, USN (Ret.)

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:43:53 PM »
Congrats!! What kind of custom work are you going to have done?

Offline 4mallard

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 12:03:40 PM »
Fla.:

I am interested in a frame and slide refinish job, with with something like Robar's NP3, or Cogan's chrome process. That will include a silver frame and grip strap checkering, and perhaps the edge rounding which we saw a few months ago, when Corey put his custom pistol up on the forum. I have been meaning to ask Corey where he had that done, and how he likes it now. In any event, it was that thread, and the photos of that beautiful Pup, which really solidified my interest in the Rohrbaughs. Now, I am afraid I'm hooked up pretty bad. But, I'm happy with that.

Thanks for your comment.

4mallard
"Speed is life."
James "Red" Best
RADM, USN (Ret.)