Author Topic: Dirty, Dusty R9  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
Dirty, Dusty R9
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:38:33 PM »
Anybody ever had a failure that you attribute to the gun getting  dusty or dirty from being carried?  

We live in the woods and I carry either a R9 or a Glock 26 when doing chores and such.  Sometimes I get pretty dirty doing these chores.  

I have faith in the Glock to work when dirty, but don't know much about the R9s capabilities when dirty...

**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: Dirty, Dusty R9
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 06:57:36 AM »
I carry my R9 every day I can. I carry it weather doing chores around the house or wearing a suite. I have not experienced any malfunctions of any kind due to being dirty.

I have belt carried my PUP on my ATV in the rain and mud and no problems.

I have pocket carried my PUP when I cut down a tree last fall on my property. My pockets had wood chips in them and no problems.

I clean my R9 once every week or two. I shoot one magazine through it once every month or two. I think if you keep up on the maintenance you should not have any problems. A good quality holster helps keep the dirt out as well.

Offline joco

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 07:48:40 AM »
Started carrying my r9 this week, i manage my families 440 acre tobacco ,cattle,hay and corn farm. I will have this 9mm in all kinds of conditions i  keep my guns clean and well lubricated, i will let you know how this little gun does!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:13:17 AM »
My experience is similar to that described by "Wolverine."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:00:54 AM »
Started carrying my r9 this week, i manage my families 440 acre tobacco ,cattle,hay and corn farm. I will have this 9mm in all kinds of conditions i  keep my guns clean and well lubricated, i will let you know how this little gun does!

I can definitely say I've never carried mine in those conditions, however, as long as it's lubed well and cleaned after a hard day, the R9 should be good to go for the next one.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 06:24:48 PM »
If my R9 gets too dusty, I will use a little compressed air to get out the debre (unloaded just to clarify).

A shot of air and a wipe with a silicone cloth and your back in business. It does not take long at all. If you carry in harsh conitions daily you may want to field strip your R9, clean and lube more often.