Author Topic: Rohrbaugh Ammo  (Read 9956 times)

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Rohrbaugh Ammo
« on: May 22, 2004, 04:03:49 PM »
From the range report in another thread, it appears the velocities and energies of firing standard 9mm ammunition out of this short barrel doesn't provide much benefit over what the .380 is doing in the P-3AT.

I'm thinking we need to find and solicit an innovative ammo producer to work up a "Rohrbaugh load" that would utilize a light bullet at standard pressures -- but high velocity -- to generate the most effectiveness out of this new pistol.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 04:04:34 PM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
Re: Rohrbaugh Ammo
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 11:55:55 PM »
RBCD civilian ammo is all standard pressure. Magsafe Defender rounds are standard pressure also.

I know that there a very emotional debate over these exotics, but I think that I will use RBCD as my carry ammo.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 12:07:28 AM »
I will be testing a LOT of different ammo in mine.

I've "had" mine for a few weeks now but it is still in my dealer's showcase, as a favor, to let him show it off to the regulars, etc.

I will likely use Winchester White Box or S&B or PMC.  These are the ones that shoot most accurately so far...  

However a lot will depend upon what the chrono says.

I learned a LOT from www.AmmoLab.com and I plan to not use anything other than fmj at this point.

However, I'd love to have some special Rohrbaugh ammo loaded for us here.  That could be a very interesting feature of this forum, and a major traffic builder for these forums.

We need someone very savy to the physics of ballistics to design something for us.  I would like to have three loads; light and fast, medium weight at medium velocity and heavy and slow velocity but all at standard pressures as prescribed by Eric and Karl.
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 01:26:20 AM »
Check out Golden Loki's web site: http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/9mm/gel9.htm

The performance of RBCD was unreal. It completely pulverized an area 2.1 inches by 5 inches, with total penetration of 8 inches.  2.1 inch expansion is one hell of a big hole. 300% larger than anything else tested. And standard pressure to boot.

I've been using Magsafe Defender rounds for about 14 years know. The Defender version is Magsafe's standard pressure cartridge.

One side benefit of these ultra-light, high velocity rounds is that felt recoil is reduced, allowing for rapid accurate fire. You cannot ignore bullet placement.

The LEO/military version of RBCD is devoid of lead. It was designed to penetrate light armor (diamond plate, cinder blocks, and body armor), yet expand in a fluid rich enviornment. But nevertheless, I'm impressed by the civilian version tested by Golden Loki--although primarily a lead round, a 2.1 inch permanent wound channel makes my jaw drop.

After 14 years with Magsafe, I think I will convert to RBCD in my 32 ACP Guardian/Seecamp and the Rohrbaugh.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 11:25:57 AM »
Anyone have an online source for the RBCD ammo?
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 04:15:34 PM »
Per my report on the R9S ... and I think you saw it Jody .. the WWB comes out very well indeed ... that'd be my choice of ball ammo.

The other one tho - and I have adopted this for my carry ammo for now - is the Golden Saber ..... also very tight on velocities and good energy.  Speed is bracketing 1,000 fps .. ME coming out at 275 ft lbs as per the White box.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 08:09:08 PM »
I am finding WWB to be the best ammo as a rule in all my 9mm guns.

My shooting buddy is now going out about once a week and buying all the 9 and 45 ammo available in the 100 round boxes in each of 5 Walmarts in this area.  

We have our Chrono now, with software, and will probably use it on Tuesday.

But, based on your reports and my findings too, I am using WWB in my Rohrbaugh.
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 01:28:26 AM »
What Chrono did you get?

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 09:09:49 PM »
My R9s Loves Rem GSHP's 124g.  Shoot to POA and very controlable.  

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 09:56:13 PM »
In general I like Golden Saber. Always have.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 11:26:49 PM »
 :o That RBCD is some nasty stuff!

I looked quickly but it appears you can order it direct.

Is'nt there a Federal expanding FMJ in standard pressure? Anyone know anything about it??

Offline Jeff_OTMG

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 09:34:04 PM »
I am the manufacturers rep for RBCD ammo in Indiana, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arizona, Nevada, and Utah.  If you are in one of those states I can help you, otherwise you will need to find who the rep is for your area.

I sent Rohrbaugh a box of the 9mm Tactical for them to try, as of yesterday they had not been out with it yet.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 11:01:33 PM »
Where can I get RBCD in Michigan?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 11:25:18 PM »
George . I went to RBCD site - wanting in fact to read up on what makes this special ... not found what I want yet . (Jeff ... any useful link??)

Go to http://www.rbcd.net/distributors.htm ..... I didn't see a distributor in MI at a quick look.  Seems like Jeff doing IN is closest.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 11:57:41 PM »
A couple of questions:

Chris, I thought you now favored the Gold Dot 115gr.

GeorgeH, I don't want to start a discussion about torts (or the better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 stuff) but I can't help but wonder how a plaintiff's attorney would spin a bullet that eviscerated a person so thoroughly.