Author Topic: Other holsters that fit R9  (Read 13270 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Other holsters that fit R9
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 10:46:21 AM »
I have tried one on, but not with an R-9.  I have heard far more negative than positive, mostly about comfort when sitting.  There is also an issue with now fast you can draw (as with many deep concealment methods) and whether you want to to a cross-draw.

A pocket holster is a much better alternative if you can get that to work.

If you must have deep, deep cover -- consider a SmartCarry underwear type holster.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 11:23:09 AM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 10:53:00 AM »
laxasgs400, I have a customer who has a pager pal holster for his R9s. He ordered and now has a new RJ Hedley back pocket holster, and loves it.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Buz

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 01:31:59 PM »
My first post here.  Glad to be a part of such a well rounded, mature group.

I bought my R9s to replace my J-Frame PD as mostly an IWB carry piece.  Smaller & flatter than the J.  I have been using a Bianchi suede IWB holster for my J-Frame for many years and love the no nonsense, no frills approach to this holster.  It has one single clip and holds just fine.  It's also very soft and skin friendly.(No offense to the holster guys here, in fact I have one of Mr. Hedleys on the way)
Since I recently received my R9s, I notice it fits in my old Bianchi quite well except there is some excess "flab" of leather that needs to be cut off and restiched.  
I know some people say the soft leather holster won't hold it as well but I feel the tension between my gut and my waistband holds it just fine. (I'm not in the habit of juming up and down on my hands.)
My question is does anyone know of a soft suede holster with only one clip designed yet for the R9s, or do I have to have my Bianchi cut and restitched by a professional? (maybe a shoe repair shop?)
I'm sorry if I've offended any of the Holster guys here.  I know "suede" is probably like saying "Cubic Zirconia" to a Diamond guy.

Once again, glad to part of such a decent group of people.

Buz

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 01:48:42 PM »
Buz, welcome and enjoy the forum. Good to hear from you. You could go to Milt Sparks and get the summer special.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Buz

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 02:23:45 PM »
Tom,
Thank you for the warm welcome!  
I've looked at the Milt Sparks.  Fine holster but I usually do not wear a belt.(no need for the loops)  That is why I like the single clip on type.  I don't think a soft suede IWB holster exists for this gun yet.  
I actually think I am looking for a "rag" of a holster which is probably below the quality standards of most people here.  After all, I want IWB which is DIRECTLY against my skin.  That is not the place for hard leather and beautiful stitching and such.  I just want a soft "pouch" to securely hold my R9s with a single "no nonsense" belt clip that can be clipped on my pants even without a belt.
Maybe I'm looking for something too simple!  
Anyway, I may just have to have my Bianchi cropped and possibly I'll have the first soft IWB holster for the R9s.  

I think this would be too "medial" a task for the holster makers here, and I don't blame them.

Buz

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2005, 03:08:45 PM »
Buz:

Welcome to the Forum.  As one of the holster makers available, here are a couple of thoughts.  Most suede leathers, not all, are tanned by a process of what's called chrome tanning.  Essentially it can wreak havoc on a gun's finish.  The majority of holster makers stay away from it for that reason - if it's going to come in contact with the gun.  

With respect to refitting the Bianchi, a shoe repair shop should be able to do that very easily for you at minimal expense.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2005, 03:27:07 PM »
Buz,

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you post often.

Bill

Offline Buz

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2005, 03:52:23 PM »
Thanks Bill & K-Man

Point well taken about the chrome tanning.  As georgeous as the R9s is, I may just have to live with a few spots(god for bid) on the slide.  After all, something I entrusting my life with is entitled to have a few "freckles" if it must be.  (My wife has a few freckles and..........oh you know what I mean.)
Could the crome tanned leather REALLY mess up the R9 or would it just be cosmetic?

Buz

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2005, 05:04:08 PM »
I normally carry in my  www.buybrownholsters.com  kydex paddle holster with kydex spare magazine belt pouch.  However I am starting to carry in an Uncle Mike’s size 3 pocket holster.  I may be ordering a leather pocket holster from a poster on here soon as I am starting to carry this gun that way more than I thought I would originally.  I also have an Uncle Mike’s size 1 inside the waist band holster.  This holster has a Velcro retention strap.  Lastly I have another Uncle Mike’s inside the pants holster size 36 which is the same size as the size 1 holster.  The only difference is this one does not have a retention strap and has a more angled cant to it.  I have not actually used these two last holsters.  They are just in my holsters drawers and fit this R9 gun.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 05:04:54 PM by bigyimmy »

Offline Buz

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2005, 06:35:08 PM »
I like the Uncle Mike's Inside the pants holster.  It looks perfect and it doesn't have the chrome tanned suede K-man was talking about.
I think I like it, Thank's bigyimmy!!  
Now if I could figure out which size fits perfectly.  Does your size 1 seem a little big?  I'm wondering if the size 10 made for small autos would work.  It's made for .22 & .25's.  Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2005, 07:23:46 PM »
Buz

Wanted to welcome you to the forum!!

Enjoy... ;) ;D 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2005, 07:24:21 PM »
lexasgs400:

Welcome to the Forum.  It's a good group which gathers here.

As for the PagerPal, I have one in my safe.  The design is a good concept, but it just doesn't work for me.  You may like it.  Others have.  I have pretty much settled on IWB for primary and pocket-carry for BUG.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2005, 09:41:18 PM »
Buzz,
Welcome to the Forum. I have every size of Uncle Mikes inside the waist band and pocket holster. I got the #1 inside the pocket to fit my Rohrbaugh R-9S, but I had to cut some of the upper sitching and redo it. Yes real men do sew, just ask R.J. Hedley  ;) When I get home I'll check my ISWB holsters and report on how they fit my R-9S. FYI I usally carry my R-9S in a Smart Carry holster.

Ed
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 10:25:21 PM by ed5380 »

Offline Buz

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 12:00:58 AM »
Ed,
I appreciate your reply and I am curious as to which of your IWB's fits the R9 like a glove, as I am NOT good with a needle & thread.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 12:47:05 AM »
Buz - welcome from me too :)

If I am not using K-Man's pocket holster I do find odd occasions that an Uncle Mikes #2 pocket holster can be useful - it is a sorta soft  pouch deal but wrapped with grippy rubber to help keep it in place.  

I got it not as an R9 item but IIRC probably to suit KelTec P3AT.

Leather - real leather - is tho IMO best way to go for most pocket purposes tho having said that I also have Kevin's belt Defender for the R9 and that is sweet - and sees use periodically - darned tiny gun is all but invisible even worn OWB!.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.