Author Topic: Laser Sights on R9  (Read 4829 times)

Offline gr8guns

Laser Sights on R9
« on: July 05, 2005, 02:18:10 AM »
Rohrbaugh Store shows a laser sight for the R9.

It looks very interesting. I'm wondering what the drawbacks could be:
a) Maybe only one finger on the grip?
b) Slows down your emergency draw because you need to get a finger in the hole?

Does anyone have experience, insight, or comments on this?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Laser Sights on R9
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 02:29:51 PM »
These have been available for small guns for quite some time.

I think you are asking the question – what drawbacks (or advantages?) does this have over using a pocket holster for pocket carry? The Slipper, certainly without the laser, is designed to be a pocket holster replacement.

So… My answers to the question that I have posed – which I hope you want the answer to…  ;)

Disadvantages over pocket holster carry:

1.      It does not protect the trigger.  ???  To me, this is an absolute necessity for a holster.  It is the number one job.  I don’t care what kind of trigger pull you have, I think an exposed trigger can be asking for trouble.  I would disqualify this product solely on this basis.

2.      It does not protect the finish of the gun.  A minor concern perhaps, but these are expensive guns.  No protection from scratches, dings, sweat, etc.

3.      It does not, in any way, prevent the entry of pocket lint into the gun or barrel.

4.      It does not, I am guessing, stabilize the gun in the pocket as well as a good holster.  My pocket bottoms are not square.  Maybe some people’s are…

5.      I question whether this really camouflages the print as much as they say.  Maybe it does – but I prefer a holster with little boning to show as little detail as possible if the fabric of the pocket gets stretched tight.

Advantages over pocket holster carry:

1.      There MAY be a SLIGHT increase in ease of use in that you don’t have to worry about separating the gun from the holster, but it is minimal or non-existent.  A proper pocket holster will stay in the pocket without even thinking about it.  Of course, this assumes that the gun is still oriented properly in your pocket for the draw and that you are not fumbling for this big square, all while hoping not to get your finger in front of the muzzle or in the trigger guard.  :o

Now, the laser version may have some advantages – I like lasers for some applications.  However, Disadvantage #1 above would still have me saying “no” to this product.

Hope I haven’t offended anyone… just my opinions… but I have a lot of them when it comes to pocket carry.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 02:30:32 PM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 06:42:30 PM »
Duane:

You've about said it all.  My sentiments exactly.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 12:59:56 AM »
Bought one for the Seecamp tested for SAG..
Never carried-just fooled around with..

Nice dot-would be OK for a dresser gun.. ;)

There are people that "mexican" carry that would probably be okay with the pocket with this.. :o ::)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 03:20:51 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would toss in a comment anyhow.  

For personal self defense, I have to question the utility of a laser aiming device like this one, or even a guide rod laser.  Heck, many people question their utility for military and LE use.  

In a personal SD situation, if you're shooting, the target is most likely well under 30 feet away and moving, probably toward you.  If both of these circumstances don't exist, you had better be prepared to explain exactly why you pulled that trigger.

Anyhow, with a moving target that close, you won't have a lot of time to line up the red dot and you won't need to.  Find the muzzle or front site, put it on the target and squeeze.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline mefly2

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 10:16:36 PM »
"Heck, many people question their utility for military and LE use."

That is likely an accurate statement, but my observation is that those of us who stake our lives on our duty gear prefer to have as much going for us as we can.  Even though I graduated from our state law enforcement academy over 25 years ago, I EMBRACE technology that will enhance my odds of living through a life-threatening situation.  That is why I am visiting this forum; it is also why my duty 1911 wears a light / laser on its rail 24/7.
mefly2
  ;)

Offline mefly2

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 12:12:56 AM »
Anyone have actual experience with the latest iteration of laser for the R9 and other small autos? I'm not asking about what you've read or been told, or even opinion, but how do they hold up under actual firing / field use? TIA
mefly2

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 06:38:15 PM »
My only experience with a laser sight on a pistol is the LaserMax mounted in the guide rod of my 1911 .45.  It was expensive, but it is worth every penny.  I agree with Duane's comments above with regard to a laser sight on a pocket pistol.  I would also worry about the recoil of a 9mm Rohrbaugh throwing a hang-on laser sight seriously out of line.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 06:42:14 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 07:36:21 PM »
Dang - can't believe I'd not posted here!

Anyways - I have CT grips on 2 semis (SIG 226 and 220) and three revo's (SP-101, M629-6, and M28-2) and regard them highly, even tho they are an expensive addition.  I may be trading my Para P12 soon for a SIG 228 and that too will get CT's.

I know many like Lasermax but they are not for me - I am a dedicated CT guy.  The option for R9 or any small semi does IMO somewhat defeat the object of having such a small gun - which like as not would be needed and used in the region of ''bad breath'' distance.  It is also more BUG for me than primary anyways.

The guns I do have these on - whichever was used for carry at the time - would effectively allow me an engagement distance further out more easily.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.