Author Topic: Lotsa pretty holsters  (Read 6950 times)

Offline hedrok

• Expert
Lotsa pretty holsters
« on: February 20, 2006, 05:52:01 PM »
Never saw so many pretty wrappings at one time as are seen
on this forum!!  Very nice!  I'm in the market for at least 2
holsters....but the problem is many questions....few answers.
So, here I am...seeking the advise of the ones who have covered this ground before.  Which is better...cowhide or horsehide?  Will a paddle be the most versatile to go from
driving to walking for a medium frame semi-auto? I really want to be "concealed" when carrying a larger gun, so will a paddle ride high enough?  What's the reality of all day comfort with a IWB?  I do wear a vest of some type almost all the time throughout the year to accomodate all the communication devices...so about 3" past the belt is covered...unless I reach up.  I'm gettin' a headache.  I do know that  to start with,the R9s will be in a IWB Ace from Palehorse.  I'm sure that will work for quite a while.....but as the opportunity and $ permit, I'd like to be watching for some of the dress leather shown here on other threads and know whether to pursue or not.  So many
holsters......so little time.  Hey, whatever information you all have accumulated would be appreciated...Thanks....Brian :o

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Lotsa pretty holsters
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 08:18:54 PM »
Brian,

I have been buying Milt Spark's holsters.  In my opinion, the black horsehide is stunning.

During a recent phone conversation,  I said that concealment was important to me, and they quickly recommended the 55BN for my large HK .45 full size.

I'm hoping there will be many times when concealment will be practical.  It is right on the borderline, of course.

Bill  

Offline jsw4178

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:37:55 PM »
WOW!! :)
Scott

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:16:39 PM »
I was going to ask what the "WOW" was....then I went to
Milt Sparks' website.....now I'm not going to ask anymore.Very
nice...seems reasonably priced and practical.  Thanks for
the lead.   Brian

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 11:39:46 PM »
If you wear a vest, maybe one of those coranado leather vests would be an option.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Seven

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 12:15:32 AM »
I have one of the Coronado vests - use it to carry my Steyr S9 - and I just love it.  Most comfortable way to CC I've ever come across.  The vests are very good quality, and don't "print" at all.  And because of the way they're designed, you can leave them hang open, even flap open the front to say "see, nothing here" and the inner pocket with your weapon won't show.  I wear mine all the time.

Like Science Fiction?  Read my novel for free:  
http://www.communionofdreams.com/

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 08:21:26 AM »
Generally, I wear a Duluth Trading Co. work vest....designed for really heavy duty wear including all the junk a carpenter
or roofer or HVAC installe rmight take up a ladder and not want to come back down for.  In a construction material supply type
business....I am guessing that a leather vest might a little
showy......that said...Coronado sounds like it would be much
better for casual.  I've always wanted a leather vest now I
have an excuse..AND.....I can blame it on you guys!!     ;D ;D
THANKS.......What a great way to start the day......Brian

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 08:34:45 AM »
I bought one of the Coronado leather vests here on the forum.

The quality and appearance are outstanding.

It has not been worn yet, but I will be using it for a new .45 just acquired.

Bill

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 02:01:23 PM »
Great tip on Coronado vests....Futures trading on cow hide and maybe even buffalo hide is gonna get active!! And I'm gonna
have a little less disposable cash.......I can see it coming.
Thanks for the info.....I don't think my wife says "thanks" tho.
Brian ;D ;)

Offline erh

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 03:26:58 PM »
hedrok - No doubt; those ARE nice holsters... But, (IMHO) "You should do yourself(S) a favor & check out the great leathergoods & holsters sold by Ross & made by Ron Graham; see the goods @ (These 2 guys are excellent to deal with..!):
www.palehorseholsters.com
and also try emailing RJ Hedley (Really great products by a guy that makes his holsters by hand, one at a time.)  @ rj@hedleyholsters.com
I hope he is able to help; his products are in high demand...tell all these guys that (erh) from the boards sends his best regards & compliments..!

Hope this helps,
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 11:31:48 AM by erh »
-E!-
"The Hill", GA.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 03:33:39 PM »
RJ here at the forum makes nice pocket holsters, so does Matt Del Fatti and Milt Sparks. I like horse hide given the choice.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 06:00:46 PM »
An Ace IWB from Palehorse is just about to be shipped ...at least that's what Ross said a week or so ago.  I'll be happy to see it.  After I wear that a while then I'll be in a lot better position to make a decision on a little fancier rig.  I think that Ace will be a steady favorite for most of the time.  All these wee toys get a might pricey when you start adding it up and,
as someones' sig line says "my decisions are easy...I just want the best"  Thanks for the input....it's much appreciated.   Brian

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 09:01:31 AM »
I generally wear IWB when not in the office.  With the right belt and slightly larger waist on my jeans it can be comfortable.  The holster is kydex from sidearmor and I would recommend an undershirt in between you and the gun.  It isn't very comfortable for driving long distances in though.  I would imagine leather would be slightly more comfy overall due to in giving more than the kydex.  

I also have a paddle holster for my glock 23 from K&D and really like it.  I don't get to carry that way as often but I have used it with just a t-shirt and have been fine.  If I was wearing a vest with the paddle I don't think I would have any issues with concealment.  The paddle goes on and off quickly and clips on my car door pocket nicely so I have access to it quickly if needed.  
Here is a link to pictures from Kevin;
http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Classifieds;action=display;num=1130729211

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 01:32:40 PM »
I have a few holsters from Lou Alessi and love them. He is a true master. For a comfortable and stable IWB I like the Alessi WSDT. Sparks also makes a version of this design. For an OWB I like his CQC/S
Alessi holsters are in high demand, even though he doesn't advertise or even have a working website. He's constantly backed up with military and law enforcement as well as civilian orders, but it's well worth the wait. He's a great guy to deal with too.
I have no experience with Alessi pocket holsters though. I'm sure they're excellent, but there are so many great options available from Hedley, Graham, etc. that I haven't felt the need to try one.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 03:40:52 PM »
It's like being in a little toy shop for big boys....which one do I pick this time?..I really like a LOT of the choices....soooo, I guess I'll just take my time, once I have the basics covered, and order just exactly the one I want.....then try not to change my mind in the 6-24 weeks it might take.  Does it take a long time to learn to be patient?.....Brian