Author Topic: Two R9S???  (Read 7011 times)

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
Two R9S???
« on: May 30, 2004, 08:38:15 AM »
Anyone plan or ordering a second R9??

I just got my R9 and liked it so much I ordered a second just to keep away,,, :o

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
Re: Two R9S???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 10:10:48 AM »
Yes, mine was ordered the day I saw my first one, when Eric brought it to PA to show Chris and I our new pistols.

Eric has asked me to take it easy on my first one as it is the more collectable and to carry and shoot the second one... as I've told Eric and Karl that I plan to shoot a LOT...  ::)
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 02:33:41 PM »
I really would like a #2 .... am considering it but having just spent out a similar amount on a BFR in 45-70 ... not so sure I should!! :P  Hey, there's a comparison .. sublime and ridiculous eh!?

Maybe will weaken ... if only because of wanting like Jody to keep the early issue one in good shape.  A #2 would permit me much more volume of shooting i think.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 03:27:59 PM »
I think I'm going to defer on a second R9s in order to get a S&W 500 Magnum snubby for pocket carry..... ;D
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 10:39:26 PM »
I shot mine another 350 rounds today.  That was about 700 rounds total and it started to mess up based on being dirty.  Tonight is cleaning night.  

It shot more accurately today.  I tried several different types of ammo and Winchester White Box, 100 round boxes from Walmart, is still the best!!!!  ;D

I will now just settle in on WWB for my little baby now, and knowing it is perfectly reliable out to more than 600 rounds, even without cleaning... it will now be semi-retired to perhaps a hundred rounds a week or so... and all WWB except for chrono tests.

The next one will be my daily shooting partner!!  ::)

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 11:23:15 PM »
With the WWB are you talking FMJ or JHP?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 01:35:02 AM »
Murray - I am all but sure - Jody is using the WWB FMJ's.  A very consistent round IMO.

Jody - wow, you sure are puttin some stuff thru yours!  I doubt mine has far exceeded 100 rounds so far.  I have BTW weakened  ... I am gonna be in for #2 ......  :D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 02:09:03 AM »
Mine is serial number 131, and yes, I will most likely order another in time. Maybe an R9 or maybe another R9s. But, in the meantime, I want to pick-up a few more mags, and recoil springs.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 08:25:05 AM »
Yes, the WWB, fmj is most accurate and most reliable in everything I've tried it in.

We have not unpacked the chrono yet...

Because of the reduced speed in the short barrel I'm opting for the reliability of the fmj since I'm not at all certain that the higher cost hp will open up anyway.

By the way, George, our pistols are very close sisters... mine is 133.

I wonder if any were sold under 100, or if they started at numbers above 100?

Note: I never have understood why people won't put the serial number of a gun on email, etc.  mine is not number xxx.  :o
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 08:25:51 AM by Mr_Jody_Hudson »

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 09:53:39 AM »
Cool.

I have not had a chance to shhot mine again, hopefully today I can get away.  I'm # 141

Its funny in the catolog that comes with it,  the R9 pictured it ser. # 221 or so.

Does anyone know what grease Rohrbaugh is using at the factory.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 12:00:57 AM »
I'm a big fan of Militec-1.

Offline Meggacatz

• Proud Daddy!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 07:20:49 PM »
I'll have to get in line for another (my one year old son has me working extra).

I dunno' about which grease. I cleaned mine and applied Militec....great stuff.

I was told by Eric that the first 100 guns were kept by them. I'd expect them to be T&E and for collection purposes. Imagine the collectability of the low number guns.....especially if they could meet demand and became huge like GLOCK, Ruger, or any of the others.
Keep watching, I'm bound to do something stupid again.
R9 #11x

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 12:11:30 AM »
Another Militech user here . a sparing film of this is I believe all that should ever be required.  Other alternative ... again used very sparingly - is RIG grease which I have always felt an excellent slide lubricant.

I think I said - on another thread (DUH!! - this one!!!) ... I have now gone ahead and placed my order for #2!  I am not tho in the elite quite with my first - it has the huge S/N of #321. :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 12:12:29 AM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 01:48:55 AM »
Militec is a perfect lube for this gun. If reapplied often, it builds up and should protect parts like the rails to early wear.

About, maybe, a year ago, I met a guy, who like myself teaches a CCW course once and awhile. At one of his classes, he took a magic marker and drew a line down the short slide rails of a Glock to show his students where they should lube. It was a new gun. He then lubed it up with Militec and shot it at several range sessions.

When I saw the gun, you could still see the line from the marker. I was impressed. Really impressed.

He also told me that he had a hardball bullseye 1911A1 that he shoots for fun that he uses Militec-1 on. He claims that it makes the gun easier to clean.

I am amazed how these new lubes work. How they literally bond to the metal.

When Mobil-1 first came out, I saw some 1911A1 shooters use it on guns claiming that it didn't burn off like regular gun oil. I haven't seen that in a while, but I wonder if people are still doing it.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 03:44:59 AM »
Go to this weblink, and you can request a free sample of Militec oil AND grease!

http://www.militec-1.com/freesample.html

I use the grease on my rails and a very light coat of the oil on my internals.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...