Author Topic: OK..if I have to pick SOMETHING to complain about.  (Read 5226 times)

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
OK..if I have to pick SOMETHING to complain about.
« on: July 20, 2004, 10:37:29 PM »
As I have perviously posted, I have had my R9s for a few days now and couldnt be happier regarding its overall quality, size, reliability, "shootability" , uniqueness, etc, etc. Playing devil's advocate though, Rohrbaugh really should come out with a tool to help disassembly...although R9S Carry's suggestion to use a chopstick actually does work pretty well...but this has already been discussed. The only other "complaint" i have regards the grips...they are thin enough, and feel good, but how many of you like the looks? Not that aesthetics is that big of a deal, and I am sure many people like the look, but that "blue tinge" kind of turns me off....does everyone else like it? Not that this topic is very worthwhile, its just I likle everything else about the gun so had to think of something!  It gets boring just reading how great everyone thinks it is  :P

Offline justin2992

• Expert
Re: OK..if I have to pick SOMETHING to complain ab
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 11:16:31 PM »
I think the blue in the grips blends nicely with the plum gray frame color.  They have grown on me much as the gray frame has.  At first I wanted the silver frame but now I'm kind of glad it was discontinued.  When I first saw the grips in pictures online I wasn't too crazy about them.  They don't photograph too well and I wondered why the company didn't go with something more conservative.  When I picked up the gun at the shop, all three of the guys there said they really liked the blue in the grips when I said I wasn't sure about the color.  I think it was a bold move on the Rohrbaugh's part.  I've also noticed that the pattern of the blue is different for each gun almost like variations in burl wood.  I think this adds a little character and uniqueness to each piece.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 10:37:29 AM »
There may be some changes, or at least some options coming, with the grip panel colors.  I haven't heard anything new yet, but I posted about this a while back:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1088124255

The bad news is that carbon fiber is very difficult to work with and not cheap either.  Replacement grip panels won't be cheap.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 11:13:04 AM »
Jim ..... (nitpickin dude you!!  ::) :P :D )

I do agree in as much as, any ambivalence I ever had with the lil' pup was directed toward the grip color.  I am used to it now and it bothers me little.  I guess I'd like perhaps to have an all black .. or even black/grey ..... as might occur with the process that makes these blue a sorta ''two-tone''.

Beyond that - can hardly really define this as ''dislike'' .... the pup is too enticing otherwise to fall down on just a color  aesthetic.

Maybe one option I could envisage ... if t'were ever to be done ..... is moulded rubber panels ... which would by default (right side anyways) have to have an included steel back plate...... for stiffness as much as anything.  Outer surface a finish much like Hogue rubbers .... good for grip etc. (and snagging in pocket too perhaps .. hmmm)

Meantime ...... guess I'll get by!! ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 11:15:05 AM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 01:01:50 PM »
I'm still waiting for my silversmith friend to finish casting a sterling silver pair of grips for my R9s.  Being a perfectionist, he takes his own sweet time.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 01:10:02 PM »
 That is just so inconsiderate of him !

I'm not being rude here,  Richard is my friend.
[I feel the need for a disclaimer, when I post  ::)]
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 02:26:06 PM »
RJ:

No disclaimer is needed.  There's not a rude bone in your body.  Besides, I've learned that none of you artists can be rushed.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline HLG

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 03:13:03 PM »
I wonder if a nice pair of wood checkered grips would work on the "little pup"?

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 04:05:41 PM »
My understanding is that they went with carbon fiber because it can be pretty strong for so thin of grips - and it's very very light.

I'd be concerned that wood grips would either add a lot to the thickness of the pistol, or be too thin to be very durable.

As for colors, I'd expect it would be easy (once demand/supply levels out) to offer grips in darn near any color, as carbon fiber is available in a variety of colors.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 04:09:29 PM »
I would like grips of a graphite grey or black color.
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 05:34:07 PM »
I understand that the prototype's grips were made of aircraft aluminum.  I know one thing.  They were beautiful.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 05:35:08 PM »
I understand that the prototype's grips were made of aircraft aluminum.  I know one thing.  They were beautiful.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 07:46:48 PM »
I'm sure glad they got rid of the slide release lever and made the grips thinner.

The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 08:50:56 PM »
Justin:

Thanks for the photo.  I think that's the one I remember.

The silver grips my friend is casting are molded from the carbon fiber grips which came with the R9s.  It will add about 2 ounces to the weight of the piece, but it should still be under 15 ounces.  I've become used to the weight of a G380 with silver grips which tilts the scales at about 19 ounces.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"