Author Topic: Why in the world would anyone...  (Read 16233 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Why in the world would anyone...
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2004, 03:26:09 PM »
Frenchy - nothing much to add to the thread, which has many very useful comments .... but I doubt I have issued a welcome yet to yourself .. or Mudboy ... just wanted to put that right!

Welcome aboard. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Frenchy

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2004, 05:03:13 PM »
Thanks for the cordial welcome Chris...it's much appreciated.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2004, 05:36:36 PM »
Frenchy:

I'm tuning in late to this thread, having been up in the mountains scaring some trout for the past three days.  

Welcome to the Forum.

I jumped in with my order for one of the Rohrbaughs not long after the 2000 Shot Show, where the famous prototype was unveiled.  As a result, I have one of the earliest ones released to the public.  I ordered it simply because I could not forego owning a pocket pistol as revolutionary, small, light, powerful, and well designed as the Rohrbaugh.  I consider the price to have been a bargain.

RS  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Stook

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2004, 08:09:25 PM »
Richard, I wholeheartedly agree.  Quality and uniqueness are worth more than a monetary price.  I have one of the early H&K P7 (serial #19xxx, back when a brand new one was around $450).  Looks to me like over the last 25 years the price on it hasn't gone down too much, neither has the demand.  I thought high $7s was a pretty good price for a used one recently, so now I have two.  You sometimes can pay a little too much, but basing a deciaion on the lowest cost can be the most expensive in the long run.  

BTW, thanks to the "reserved" comments of yourself and others on the board as to the quality of the R9S, I'm now only 3 weeks into my wait for the twins (yes, I ordered 2 at the same time).  Thanks, guys.  They might just be a nice Christmas present.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2004, 08:13:01 PM »
And ...... yet another newcomer!  Great.

Stook - welcome to you too Sir! :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2004, 11:39:54 PM »
Did either of you consider the Kahr PM9 instead, and if not..why not?

nuff said.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2004, 07:52:15 AM »
Stook:

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations!  Twins?  Now that is awesome!

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2004, 10:49:50 AM »
Did either of you consider the Kahr PM9 instead, and if not..why not?

You'll certainly see the difference when you have both.  I own both but put the PM9 away after I received and tested my R9S.  I bought the PM9 for times I wanted the ability to pocket carry a 9mm.  Other times I carried my P3-AT (which is also a great pistol).  Now with the R9S I have a 9mm with the approximate same dimensions as the P3-AT.  

My PM9 needed a trip to Mass. before it was reliable.  It often failed to go fully into battery and needed a slight push to do so.  I understand that was a pretty common problem.  Kahr started using a stronger spring and that seemed to help the problem.  The Kahr gunsmiths were great to work with and did some additional reliability work that I hadn't even asked for.  

I will keep the Kahr as I may someday use it with a belt scabbard.  It was not ideal for pocket carry as you will see when you compare it with the Rohrbaugh.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2004, 11:05:08 AM »
Why didn't Rohrbaugh use polygonal rifling like Kahr for better ballistics?
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2004, 12:28:18 PM »
Justin ..... I'm not convinced that it would make any great difference in this barrel length ... and also can't help thinking the brothers Rohrbaugh would have considered it.  Tho Kahr obviously had their own good reasons.

This barrel has a well cut rifling and I'd say does all it needs to do .. considering in particular the short ranges we would usually be considering.

What do you feel yourself would be the ''advantage factor'' ... do you feel the bullet  ''takes'' polygonal better and so gets its rotational kick more reliably?  Or - put the other way - what do you think might be the downside of conventional rifling.?

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Frenchy

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2004, 12:46:47 PM »
Does anyone have a close-up photo of the magazine release? Thanks.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2004, 01:57:12 PM »
Frenchy - see if these'll help some ..... just took em ... only one view but hopefully gives some sorta impression.  First - general view - then a c/u......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just thought - I'd add a mention re ergonomics of this.  If we are thinking right handed use then .......

Rotation of right wrist to 45º clockwise - or so ..... then, outer edge of left forefinger against front of mag, as left thumb pad pushes rearward on the release.  Immediately upon disengagement, the mag pops out a 1/4" after which removal is easy and can me pretty slick.

Insertion of fresh mag .........align mag reasonably with mag well axis ... push rear of mag against catch to move it rearward and then insert and click home.  This works well but is worth practicing.  Only snag some may have initially, is letting the top round in the mag contact the front portion of mag well .. and this can make it less easy.  If anything, let mag bias a tad toward a forward rake - to better help prevent top bullet ''catching'' at all.

In fact - I do find this mag release system very comfortable to use now ... it's way easier than either my Mak or CZ-52 - and i do NOT miss having a 1911 type release . no probs.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 02:09:05 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Frenchy

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2004, 02:24:52 PM »
Thanks Chris...that's exactly what I was looking for.
Any particular reason that they went with the heel release rather than the button. I noticed Seecamp uses the heel also, while Kel-Tec and NAA use the button.
I'm personally use to the heel release with my Makarovs.

Also...Who makes the magazines for Rohrbaugh?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 02:43:16 PM by Frenchy »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2004, 03:32:43 PM »
[size=13]Any particular reason that they went with the heel release rather than the button.[/size]

Most probably I think to keep the width profile totally uncluttered .... no protrusions to get in the way etc.  Plus - to my mind this release is actually more reliable . The usual cross mag catch - which has to engage in a slot on the mag .. is IMO very prone to being either light on hold or - the other way - and makes for release being less than ideal .... if you will ..... more critical to get right.

Not sure re mag manufacturer ... I'm sure someone did mention .... maybe Mec-Gar ... but really am not sure.  The mags tho are very well made ... a quality item .... and IIRC there had been some minor issues with them a while back .... one of the things that delayed getting stuff out earlier in the year - it had to be got right - and it was.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2004, 03:47:55 PM »
Mags are not by Mec-Gar,  I did know who, and had posted it here,  but the ravages of the years has taken it's toll , again..
RJ=