Author Topic: How many carry at anti-gun office?  (Read 7199 times)

Offline Kevin Goebel

Re: How many carry at anti-gun office?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2004, 08:11:02 PM »
In Michigan the law permits an employer to restrict the right of the employee to carry in the workplace.

The proposed Wisconsin law would also allow employers to restrict the right. I'm trying to find and document instances of where John Doe had the right and CCW permit to carry, didn't carry at work because Mr. Dithers is a hoplophobe and forbade ccw at work, and was killed on the job when Bumstead went postal over not gettnig a raise, followed by the widow Jane Doe suing the company for depriving John Doe of the right to defend himself.

The law will determine whether an employer can legally prohibit/allow concealed carry, but some lawsuits rendering liability decisions will probably determine employer policy about concealed carry. If anyone knows of litigation in this matter in any ccw state, I would like to know about it.

Thanks.

Kevin

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2004, 08:59:48 PM »
There is a concept in law called the "assumption of risk" doctrine. For example if you go to a baseball game, it is implied that you assume the risk of being hit by a ball. Likewise, if you sought a job with an employer that would not let you remain armed, then you assume the risk associated with your decision.

If you don't want to be employed by an employer that restricts your right to remain armed, then you quit. It is as simple as that.

Offline Kevin Goebel

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2004, 04:18:10 AM »
There is a concept in law called the "assumption of risk" doctrine. For example if you go to a baseball game, it is implied that you assume the risk of being hit by a ball. Likewise, if you sought a job with an employer that would not let you remain armed, then you assume the risk associated with your decision.

If you don't want to be employed by an employer that restricts your right to remain armed, then you quit. It is as simple as that.

Argh.... ok. So, I guess in a tight labor market, prospective employees should tell recruiters they are looking for indoor ranges instead of "wellness centers", and to dump the company picnics for IPSC matchs.

By the way, does that "assumption of risk" doctrine protect me from liability? If you ring my doorbell on Sunday morning with copies of Watchtower in your hand,  it is implied that you assume the risk of being hit by...   ;D

Kevin

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2004, 09:33:58 AM »
 ::) Sometimes it takes something like this thread to remind me how lucky I am: I'm self-employed, so I AM the boss.  I carry any weapon I like in my digs, which always includes at least one handgun and one knife.  The walls of my private office are festooned with animal skins, 6 swords, one battleaxe, and one 15th century pole arm.  C'mon in, bad guys!