Author Topic: Recoil Spring Guide Rod  (Read 3941 times)

Offline justin2992

• Expert
Recoil Spring Guide Rod
« on: July 20, 2004, 11:51:41 PM »
Anyone else who has the more recently released guns notice that the visible end of the recoil spring guide rod is now shiny and not matte finished to match the slide and barrel.  Here is a pic of the original matte finished version:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 11:53:58 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Recoil Spring Guide Rod
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 11:16:59 AM »
Matt finish here Justin ... wasn't aware there'd been any change actually.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 01:22:31 PM »
Best photo I have seen yet of the muzzle end of the slide,  I love that precision de-horning of the sharp edges. This was always the first thing I would do after getting a new gun home.   *Colt* was the worst offender.  You could shave yourself with the bottom edge of the slide !!
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 02:38:23 PM »
Yikes - I gotta try a shot of that!!  ::) ;D

White balance set a bit warm.  

I do find that now I have had approx 300 rnds thru the pup, that the projecting portion of recoil spring guide is quite hard to completely rid of powder blackening .. a very gentle clean with #9 and finest wire wool does remove most but - it is quite reluctant to come off completely.

The yellow blob BTW on foresight is my Bright Sights paint . I have two green spots applied either side of rear sight.... think I posted a pic of that some while ago.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 03:39:54 PM »
Chris:
Does that brand of sight paint stay on?  If so, is there any trick to have it stay in place?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 04:31:36 PM »
Mike - it has stayed on so far - but then my carry of R9 is very limited ... hoping that #2 R9 will be the ''workhorse''.  In fact, where the pain is is well protected from abrasion with pocket or rig ... but hardly put it to ultimate test yet.

I think main thing is ..... prep' the surface properly - zero grease ... so, wipe off with iso propyl alcohol to ensure clean.  I apply with toothpick.

We did discuss some while back .. the usefullness of having two small ''dimples'' either side of rear sight and a small depression on foresight ...... such that anyone wanting to apply paint could, knowing it'd be protected by being recessed.  That to me would be way to go.  The paint tho is inherently (it seems to me) pretty tough on adhesion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll just add that pic again .. my sight paint ..... slightly more precise than actual cos I tweaked the image a bit!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 04:35:17 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 10:49:12 PM »
Thanks Chris.  That sight picture would sure help me.  I don't know why firearm manufacturers have, over the past 10 or so years, been making their sights so much more difficult to see.  They are all guilty of it.  Years ago they made sights that allowed one to easily acquire a chrystal clear sight picture.  They seem to have suffered this lapse of quality control somewhere around my 45th birthday.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 09:23:14 AM »
R9SCarry,
I see that your early example of the R9 has different contours on the dust cover area than the later versions. Later versions appear to be more rounded than yours. Interesting. Both look good to me. I wonder if there have been any other running changes made so far?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 09:40:00 AM »
Tell you what Harry - you're a darned site more observant than I am ... and yeah, it does seem so.  Like you I'm not fussed either way.

I'd say now that probably ''things'' have settled into a pretty consistent pattern now ...
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site