Author Topic: #9 up for sale in utah.  (Read 10166 times)

Offline jayson

• Sharpshooter
  • happy shooting!
#9 up for sale in utah.
« on: May 21, 2013, 09:31:57 PM »
I was surfing the web when I Saw this farmie put up for sale in Utah.  Serial number is r109 on pics and price is 1399.  Just a heads up. Here's the link.

http://utahgunexchange.com/ads/rohrbaugh-r9s-9mm-are-you-man-enough/
Jayson D

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: #9 up for sale in utah.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »

That is wonderful, descriptive prose.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 10:03:49 PM »

That is wonderful, descriptive prose.

None of which is correct
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:17:56 PM »
I agree; that is why one has to be careful.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »
That certainly isn't "#9." It might be appropriate to resurrect this old thread from 2009:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=4839.msg55039;topicseen#msg55039
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline jayson

• Sharpshooter
  • happy shooting!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »
Pretty interesting read.  I hope whoever tries to buy this does the necessary research before purchasing.
Jayson D

Offline Nunzio

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 12:05:32 PM »
Ah yes, Gentlemen, 'tis I of whom you speak.  Prose, REALLY!?  Thanks for the kind comments and also the not-so-kind.  I believe the information in my ad is absolutely correct.  I've researched what's available on the web and also been told on  at least two different occasions by Rohrbaugh personnel that my pistol is, in fact, one of the first shipped.  So, obviously, someone is incorrect.  Might be me, might be some others who seem to have their panties in a bunch over it. 

I've represented my pistol to the best of my knowlege and without intent to defraud.  If someone who might be interested in the purchase of this firearm doesn't want to believe what I've laid out then they can verify it to their own satisfaction or walk away.  I care not whatever their/your decision is. 

Also, for those of you who insist on knowing the gritty details of things that are totally NOT your business, I've requested written documentation from Rohrbaugh as to where my particular s.n. lies.  That information would, of course, be provided to potential purchasers. 

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »
Nunzio:

Good luck with your sale.  As for the serial numbering sequence, I trust you will let it know if it is other than reflected in the above-linked thread from 2009.

Don't be a stranger. If you admire the R9 as your advertisement indicates, you will find a lot of company here.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 06:13:08 PM »
Good luck with the sale of R109

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »

Is Irwindale close to Farmingdale?

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 09:15:18 PM »
I hope that I did not offend the seller with my earlier comment and retract what I said because despite the added opinions the listing details describing R9s in general were correct. The only statement with factual errors is this one:

“This particular one is the super-rare first production run made at the Irwindale, N.Y. facility and has a s.n. below 10, was one of the first 5 ever shipped.”

Before I say anymore I would like to say that this is a RARE gun and I believe the seller is asking a fair price even though it is not the 9th R9 off the line.

I will use a picture of the 141 twins (#141 and #R141) to elaborate on what Richard posted and help the seller correct the details of his listing. (Note I do not own these guns, another forum member does/did)

As you can see there were guns produced prior to guns with the R prefix serial numbers. They started at 101 and went through 147. In addition to those 47 guns there were a handful of custom serial number guns produced to the same specs as the original 47 before they reinforced the slide and added the R prefix. A clear way to tell that your R109 came later is that it is not marked "R9s" while every pre R prefix gun with sights is marked "R9s". You can see this is the above picture. #141 is marked "R9s" while R141 is only marked "R9" even though it has sights. With that said there is an occasional R prefix gun marked R9s but that is only because the slide was made prior to BATF requiring the slides only be marked R9 regardless if the gun has sights or not. Let us know if you have any questions. If I had to guess I would say that you have about the 65th R9 off the line and the 9th with the reinforced slide/R prefix.

Also, your gun was made in Farmingdale, NY not Irwindale, NY.

-Ryan

NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Nunzio

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 11:37:01 AM »
G'day Gents!  Thanks for the warm welcome and additional info.  I did contact Rohrbaugh and had the distinct pleasure of speaking with Maria once again.  More documentation is on the way, and yes, I will share it with members of this forum.  Admittedly, I do not know as much about these fine little pistols as I would like.  This one accompanied me many a dismal night as back-up to my duty gun.  One is never alone when there's an R9 in their pocket..lol!  And, once again, fat fingers prevail, as I did post an incorrect place of origin.  I had stated that the gun was made in Irwindale, NY, when actually, it was made in Farmingdale, NY.  I'm not sure there even IS an Irwindale, NY.  Ah well, that was then, this is now. 

They ARE wonderful little guns and one of the few that actually live up to, and beyond the advertising.  But, sadly, I've decided to dispose of mine because I now need something a little more "arthritis friendly" to accompany me into those dark places and it's just too fine a piece to languish in my vault.  And now that I'm retired, ultimate concealability is just not the issue it once was.  If the Rohrbaugh 45 ever becomes available I'd love to have a pop at one of those. 

And, "no offense taken".  Hope you all have a great day!

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 11:12:28 AM »
Well he took down the old listing and made a new one: http://utahgunexchange.com/ads/rohrbaugh-r9s/

Removed the picture showing the R109 serial number.
Sticking to his guns that this one of the first 10 made and shipped.  :(

Anyone willing to bet that when he sells this the buyer will log into the forum, proudly post his or her new find and will get some bad news. Guess that is life.
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Nunzio

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 01:55:35 PM »
Why are YOU so interested in my business?  If I choose to not reveal the s.n. of my gun, it's my business, NOT YOURS.  It was done only in the interest of security.  Do you publish all the s.n.'s of your guns on the internet?  I've said it before and I'll say it again: guys like you make my ass ache.  You're just another self-proclaimed expert.  You need to do two things: (1) do some real research in lieu of basing your totally incorrect remarks on supposition and (2) get a life.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »
Duane - This thread should probably be locked from further comment.
NRA LIFE MEMBER.