Author Topic: Got my gun, got my holster. Now I just need ammo  (Read 7239 times)

Offline rjinaz85308

• Hopefully a R9s owner soon
Got my gun, got my holster. Now I just need ammo
« on: June 04, 2013, 01:32:12 AM »
You would think in a gun friendly town of over 4 million people you could find ammo.  Not the case.  Trying to find 124grn JHP Gold Dots or equivalent is dang difficult.  So far I have only gotten to shoot my R9 with 115 FMJ and IT DON'T LIKE IT!!

I picked up a nice R9 from a forum member and just got my Recluse today.  I went with the OS Plus pocket holster as I either wear Docker type pants or jeans and it fits in both nicely.  I know some have said it makes no sense to have your extra mag in the same pocket as the gun, but at least it allows me to carry an extra without if flopping around in my off pocket.  Besides it is not to practical to do speed reloading with these anyway<G>

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Got my gun, got my holster. Now I just need ammo
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 12:59:43 AM »
You would think in a gun friendly town of over 4 million people you could find ammo.  Not the case.  '<G>

That's WHY you can't find any ammo.  Them gun friendly folks are buying up ALL of the ammo!  Just like the folks in my gun friendly town.  :)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:02:10 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:05:11 AM »
  I know some have said it makes no sense to have your extra mag in the same pocket as the gun, but at least it allows me to carry an extra without if flopping around in my off pocket.  Besides it is not to practical to do speed reloading with these anyway<G>

Hey, as long as your System works for YOU, that's all that matters.  :)

Good Luck
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
There were some Gold Dots available on one of the  sites recently at almost $30 for 20...gone now.  A buck and a half per shot is scary.  If you can find Lawman in FJM, get it.  It's good practice ammo, but would be a reasonably lethal carry round if that's all that is available....better than a baseball bat anyway (depending on separation and situation of course!).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »
I shoot/ carry the Wilson combat custom ammo and I really like it for my K380.  They use the Hornady XTP bullet, which is supposed to be a really good round. 

Here is the link to their sub sonic bullet....

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/9mm-Parabellum/products/299/

I can't speak for the 9mm round, but I would give it a try.  It is a bit expensive, but then again you own a Rohrbaugh...not a cheap gun to start with.

I carry my 380 with the Recluse holster, and love it.
Dominick
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

bamboobob

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 11:25:39 PM »
Finally got more than 20 rds. Gold dots. ( ordered it in late March they said 6 to 12 months )

What is the difference with "LE"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »
This is from an unverified source but I have heard a similar explanation before:

"Some time ago I spoke with the Speer LE rep regarding the difference between the civilian ammo and the LE ammo. He told me the only difference is that the LE ammo goes through additional quality control checks and has to meet stricter standards. The only other difference is the packaging & labeling. I think the 20 rd boxes are marked Personal Protection and the 50 rds are Law Enforcement. Some years ago the LE stuff used to come in Gold boxes while the civilian ammo was in black boxes, thats now changed, all are black boxes." 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:06:57 PM by tracker »

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »
Tracker......yes you last statement is true.  The LE stands for .....you guessed it....Law Enforcement.  We have the 50 round boxes and are obviously hollow points. 

Dom
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 08:52:07 AM »

Thanks for the confirmation, Dom; to add further confusion I noticed an old box of 20 which is not LE labeled but has, "The Choice For Law Enforcement" underneath the Speer GoldDot label. I think any of the GoldDots will meet our standards and I have never had a problem with any of them, LE, or otherwise. My only problem is that my old box of 20 has a $9.95 price label on it.

bamboobob

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 07:48:45 PM »
Thanks guys for all the info.

That's what I thought:  Packaging and price.
20 round and 50 round look basically the same (black) except:

My boxes read:
(20 round)
Speer
Gold Dot
Personal Protection

(50 round)
Speer LE           Law Enforcement
Gold Dot
Duty Ammunition

Bob

bamboobob