Author Topic: HELP PLEASE - New Owner - Pistol Won't Run  (Read 10418 times)

Offline rikhek

Re: HELP PLEASE - New Owner - Pistol Won't Run
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 01:49:41 PM »
Eric,

I earlier posted my surprise that the repair is not covered by warranty.  I would have thought it was covered by a lifetime warranty to all owners, not just original purchaser.  I'm shocked the lawyers would have made this a condition of the sale to Remington due to liability concerns?  Is Williams correct on the warranty coverage is only to original purchasers?

Rick

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 07:52:00 PM »
I think it was always original owner.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 08:25:01 PM »
Yes, the warranty was to the original owner only. While we did take care of almost every single R9 that came back anyway, it did give us "an out" if the person sending it back was totally abusive to the firearm and expected the company to repair it even when it was obviously mistreated to the max by several owners. That said, Williams and Remington have been doing good work for the R9 but I am not involved with any of their policies or companies whatsoever at this point. After a short stint at Remington in their "R&D" department, that was the end of it for Karl and I. It's really up to them to do what they can for you, the current owner. I'm sorry to hear they won't do anything for you, to include a possible replacement with their new RM380 (Rohrbaugh R380 variant). Heck, those are inexpensive enough and would certainly be "good will" for the industry. But, what do I know? I hope something can be done with your pistol Rick. Perhaps a seasoned pistolsmith can get it tuned up for you if Remington decides they are out of it at this point. There is nothing I can do at this point unfortunately, I'm sorry to say.

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline rikhek

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 12:25:05 PM »
Thanks Eric.  I imagine Williams will get it lined out in short order.  As it jams in an identical manner every time I don't think their gunsmith will have much difficulty identifying the problem and resolving.  From a mechanical perspective I would think it will be a piece of cake.  It's not a complicated machine.

Offline mikejd

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 08:55:15 PM »
Any update on this. Just wondering how you made out.

Offline rikhek

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »
Just received my R9 back from Williams Gun Sights 5 weeks to the day after I shipped it to them.

Regarding the issue, WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER to Forum members thomasconnor (who just happens to be my brother in PA) and backupr9.  These two guys pretty much zero'd in on and correctly diagnosed the problem as being extractor related per the Williams Repair Order.

The Williams Repair Order states:

"Replaced extractor and polished chamber.  Tested OK".

The repair order also has the following statement written on it with a long line then drawn through it crossing it out:

"Emailed Ken about warranty???"

Sort of interesting the way the repair transaction went with Williams:

When talking to them prior to shipment I told them I wasn't the original owner.  As such, they informed me it wouldn't be covered under warranty.  They stated upon diagnosis they'd call with an estimate to repair and to get the go ahead from me.  I never received a call.  Today I received the gun back and a copy of repair order from Williams via UPS Express shipping.  The repair order also stated:

"No charge.  Remington warranty".

I'm thinking I owe "Ken" a nice adult beverage if I ever find out who he is.  I'm guessing he might be a Remington employee who authorized the repair under warranty even though it wasn't under warranty.  They also didn't charge me for the return UPS Express shipping.

I find it interesting that they never contacted me about anything throughout the entire repair ordeal.  Sort of a shame as I was wanting to order/buy several spare springs and was going to tell them to throw in the box to avoid shipping charges in the future on springs.  They never contacted me to confirm receipt of the pistol, never contacted to discuss the issue they found, never called to get authorization to repair, and the best part is they never contacted to collect payment for repairs or shipping.

The commentary provided above is not a complaint, rather a factual summary of the transaction.  I would have preferred some communication but I can live without especially considering they never contacted me to get money!

Now I just need to get out and shoot it to ensure it runs as designed.  I'm pretty certain I'll be good to go.  I'll post how the R9 runs once I can get out to shoot it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:56:15 PM by rikhek »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 07:56:48 PM »
Sniff, Sniff...............I'm a sucker for a story with a happy ending.

:P

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
"Sort of a shame as I was wanting to order/buy several spare springs and was going to tell them to throw in the box to avoid shipping charges in the future on springs. "

Williams is great, but their $15-20 minimum shipping is a little steep for a $5 spring.  I wish they had a $2-3 puffy envelope option, but I guess that wouldn't cover the cost of the guy who has to take time to fill the order.

Offline rikhek

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2019, 04:48:16 PM »
I just ran about 20 clips or 120 rounds of the wide variety of ammo listed in my original post with ZERO FTF’s. Ran like a champ with one exception. It didn’t like reloads I bought some 20+ years ago at a gun show. However, these FLF incidents were due to a soft primer strike. Repeated trigger pulls resulted in the pistol firing. I’m not surprised or disappointed in the reloads as it ran 100% with “cheap factory” loads. I’m very happy I now have a gun I’m not willing to carry for fear of a FTF 

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2019, 08:42:35 PM »
Great to hear Rik. 

A fine story with a fantastic ending.

Carry it in health now.

Stay Safe...……

ECR
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »
Rik, glad yours is now running.  As an old British sports car enthusiast, I would compare the R9 to my big Healeys and E-type Jags....they were incredibly competent when carefully maintained, and the driver would be on top of the world.  When they were “broken” I was in a major depression/anxiety funk until it was fixed.  Same with my R9’s....love/hate?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 04:45:51 PM »
I love that analogy as I too had old British sports car while in school around 1971. It was a 1953 Triumph TR2.

Great when it ran well, and, to much surprise, THAT particular car did run well all the while I owned it and never gave me an issue.

I don't know what that was all about as they were notoriously unreliable cars, but that is the truth with that car.   

I ran the tar out of that one! lol

So good to hear your R9 is running well again.

ecr

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 09:46:27 AM »
I just don't get the English sports car analogy, a Rohrbaugh will eventually quit dripping oil.

8)

Q: What's the difference between a classic Jag owner and a classic Triumph owner?
A: The Jag owner washes his hands AFTER he's been for a pee, and the Triumph owner...

Q: How do you double the value of a Triumph?
A: Fill it up with gas!

Q: What do you call an MG with dual exhaust?
A: A Wheelbarrow!

Q: What are the two questions you hear most from the passenger in your MGBGT?
A1: Is it HOT in here?
A2. Do you smell gas?

Q: When does a man open the door of the car for his wife?
A1.When he has a new car.
A2.When he has a new wife.

Little Billy and his Dad were down at the autocross watching the Spitfires zipping through the cones.
Little Billy looks up to his Dad and says, "Dad, when I grow up, I want to be a Spitfire driver."
His Dad looks down at him and says, "You can't do both, son."

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:40:46 AM by MikeInTexas »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2019, 02:53:22 PM »
Mike, well done!  Best laugh I’ve had in weeks!
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 09:32:30 PM »
Yes, good chuckles Mike. Thank You!

Eric R