Author Topic: ADVICE FOR A NEWBIE PLEASE  (Read 5708 times)

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
ADVICE FOR A NEWBIE PLEASE
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »
Picked up an R9-S on total impulse yesterday. Have been looking for the right carry pistol forever. Have a Springer EMP 40 which is awesome but too heavy for me to carry. Have a Seecamp .32 but have mild reliability issues and feel underpowered. Have a Glock Gen 4 27 but too bulky. So I walked out with the R9 only to later suffer from a case of buyers remorse. Read what I could find online and was even more discouraged. The one thing missing...Hardly anyone talks about how they shoot. If I knew it was going to be a sweet shot I'd keep for sure. Don't want to shoot it and lose the NIB status and value....any feedback...thx!!

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: ADVICE FOR A NEWBIE PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »
First let me welcome you to the group and congratulate you on the purchase of the best 9mm pocket pistol made.
  The NIB status will be there if you don't shoot it but its still a used gun because you took it home. You could shoot a mag through it and still get the same price for it. ;D
  You must have missed some post on how they shoot, [COLOR="Red"]most are amazed at the accuracy for such a small gun, myself included.
  If you are extremely recoil sensitive sell it now. The recoil is what you would expect from a 13oz 9mm but not unmanageable or abusive by any means.[/COLOR] If you want punishing recoil try a 12oz S&W with full power 357 ammo. :o
  I say take the gun to the range and run at least two mags through it, if you don't love it let it go.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:35:32 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:47:22 AM »
You really don't think value wise there's a difference in having never put a round thru a new gun vs. shooting 2 mags? Not trying to be a wise guy...really don't know! Also...have put some .357 rounds thru the S&W 340PD and suffice it to say I no longer own that piece! Absolutely ridiculous!

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:01:31 AM »
It sounds like you have already made up your mind you won't like it and it won't be any good no matter how good it really is.  Might better sell it.   :-/

Offline dano

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »
You really don't think value wise there's a difference in having never put a round thru a new gun vs. shooting 2 mags? Not trying to be a wise guy...really don't know!

The pistol was shot several times and cleaned at the factory, then sold to you. You can do the same. Try it, you might like it, if you don't - you will never know.......
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »
...Hardly anyone talks about how they shoot. If I knew it was going to be a sweet shot I'd keep for sure

Guess u don't read so well dude.

Offline dano

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 11:57:28 AM »
They shoot very well! I read just fine. You should read the range reports! DUDE!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:57:55 AM by dano »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 12:02:46 PM »
Just a quick note reference the SW 340 pd is a 357 but really meant to carry 38+p rounds makes it a much better gun.

As for the R-9 shooting it is not a range gun and when I use to go I would shoot about 25-50 rounds through it depending on my mood. Accuracy the gun was great and some of it was the shooter :), it does have a kick to it as most small guns but rarely a man out there that does not like it or handle it... JMO

Great gun I would buy another oh and will...

Good Luck with your decision.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:04:06 PM by garymass »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:33:40 PM »
margator:

Congratulations! You now own what I consider to be the finest pocket pistol on the planet. But don't take just my word for it. Check out what Roy Huntington of American Handgunner has written about the R9:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_171_28/ai_n6123162/?tag=rbxcra.2.a.22

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_194_32/ai_n25469392/

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_2_33/ai_n31326687/?tag=rbxcra.2.a.11

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline SandMan

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »
... agree w/dano. There is a whole section on the Forum of nothing but individual experiences shooting one.

But, reading will never take the place of shooting.  Where are you located? - perhaps there is a Forum member nearby....

Offline gbelleh

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:06:45 PM »
The R9 is a fine little piece of machinery, but I consider it a defensive pistol, not a fun range gun.  But it shoots just fine, and is plenty accurate for me at 0-7 yards.  Adding textured VZ grips really helped make it less slippery when shooting too.
gbelleh

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:32 PM »
Everyone has provided excellent advice.

First of all congradulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum!

I have bought and sold too many pistols to list here. Some i shot and some i did not. The first R9 i shot, i loved and started to collect them. I now own four and have no regrets.

I feel you would not loose value if you shoot 2 mags through it to test it out. You wont be able to determine if you like it or not unless you do so.

I shoot one mag a month, clean and put the PUP back in my pocket. The recoil i feel is snappy. It is not unmanagable at all. This is not the gun you take to the range and shoot all day long. It is a gun you carry alot and shoot a little. I am not saying the gun wont last a long time if shot alot! This is just my opinion. :)

I hope this helps in your decision! ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:19:13 PM by wolverine_450 »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 01:44:36 PM »
Picked up an R9-S on total impulse yesterday. Have been looking for the right carry pistol forever. Have a Springer EMP 40 which is awesome but too heavy for me to carry. Have a Seecamp .32 but have mild reliability issues and feel underpowered. Have a Glock Gen 4 27 but too bulky. So I walked out with the R9 only to later suffer from a case of buyers remorse. Read what I could find online and was even more discouraged. The one thing missing...Hardly anyone talks about how they shoot. If I knew it was going to be a sweet shot I'd keep for sure. Don't want to shoot it and lose the NIB status and value....any feedback...thx!!

First off Dude, you were the one who asked for feedback.

Unless you over paid for the gun shooting two mags through it will not effect the resale price, its not a Kel-Tec or an LCP were you see at least two for sale on every gun forum.
 I addressed your question on how they shoot in my first reply.
[COLOR="Red"]most are amazed at the accuracy for such a small gun, myself included.
  If you are extremely recoil sensitive sell it now. The recoil is what you would expect from a 13oz 9mm but not unmanageable or abusive by any means.[/COLOR]

Even IF the price went down a few dollars after shooting it you would have the satisfaction of knowing if it was the gun for you and not wondering if you sold the best pocket pistol you ever owned.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 01:59:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

If you do decide to shoot it be sure to use good ammo. I prefer 115gr Gold Dots. Others have other preferences, but all will probably agree that quality ammo is a must.

Rick

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 03:38:25 PM »
Margator - welcome to the forum!

And first off, be happy about your purchase.  You have purchase the Holy Grail of pocket pistols.  It is the smallest, and lightest 9mm oin the planet.   And as Yankee said, recoil is manageable.  And I am a prime example.

I have nerve damage in both hands, from the tips of both little  and  ring fingers all the way up to my shoulders.  My grip in those two fingers on each hand is that of a 5 year old.
Some guys here say they can only shoot a couple of mags per session, some say one box, some , 50.  I've gone 100 and stopped just because I am out of ammo or out of time.  I have no problems at ALL.  
I'm not bragging, just fact.  Maybe it's my background.  I shoot competition every weekend and have the training and concentration - I don't know.  But, I am not a young big guy.  I am 5' 10", medium frame overweight 55yr old man.
If I can do it, most anyone can.

Don't give up.

Would you pass up the chance to drive a Shelby Cobra just because it had 500 HSP?

And besides, if control is a problem, Yankee sells Mag extentions on the classifieds.  Members swear by them, as far as the extrta control they get.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:39:37 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE