Author Topic: Larger carry guns  (Read 18502 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Larger carry guns
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »
My usual primary weapon when the R9s is in the "backup" role is a monogrammed Colt 1991A1 Government Model -- customized, "melted," and hard chromed by Clark Custom Guns and equipped with Sambar Stag grips, BoMar adjustable sights, and a pulsating LaserMax for night work.  (This tack driver is a pure pleasure to view, to hold, and to shoot.  It is one of the luxuries with which I have indulged myself in the twilight of my years.)

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2005, 08:35:16 AM »
My "primary" gun during the work week is the R-9.  When I can carry larger though, I do.  My larger guns are 1911 variants, with the exception of the Ruger SP-101.

How about a picture of that gun, Richard?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 10:48:49 AM »
Duane:

I am nowhere near the league in which you and Chris play when it comes to digital photography.  However, I shall try to take and post a photo of the Colt in the next few days.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 12:59:05 PM »
Chris, When you look at a glass of water that is half full. Do you think it is half full or half empty? Or is it the wrong size glass?    The .45acp is my favorite, officers model or defender both light weight with night sights.  Just work on the safety dedent.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 01:54:29 PM »
Daily carry is either G23 in Sidearmor Gen 4 or Sig 232 in some noname leather I found at flea market stuck in my briefcase.  I don't like off body carry so I need to keep saving my beans for my R9s.  Unfortunately the dishwasher just died and there goes the disposable cash.  Oh well.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 05:39:13 PM »
Tom .... hmmm half full/half empty!??  haha ... the old faithful.!

These days ''half full'' ... I have learned to try and temper pessimism! :D  Mind you - the ''wrong size glass'' is for sure another approach!

I certainly, re carry, do favor large ... not being phased by weight .... and preferring, if not cal benefits, capacity.  226 is currently doing duty tho once hot weather arrives, probably back to SP and R9 BUG.  Mind you - R9 still sees BUG duty even now.

I did, not long ago pick up an NAA mini in .22 mag, with the spare cyl for .22lr (similar to Duane's IIRC) ....... here is a pic - I have some others too, as yet not processed for size.  This gun is of course totally the other end of the spectrum and not really relevant to this particular thread!!!

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2005, 05:42:26 PM »
Yep -- looks like my little gun exactly, 'cept I didn't spring for the conversion cylinder.  I had one before and found that I never used the .22 LR cylinder, so I didn't bother...

Now THAT is the gun I carry when I am not carrying a gun...

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 05:53:59 PM »
Chris,  It sounds great that the glass is half full. Now that is a gun as Duane puts it that he carrys when he is not carrying. My choice is R9 when not carrying and .45acp light wt., when I am carrying. The speed six still does truck duty all the  time. Tom

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 05:59:44 PM »
I reckon like you Tom, R9 is also my carrying when not carrying.!  This mini is partly shere micro-engineering indulgence ... it is very nicely made.  I have found tho that this is perhaps the most concealable of about anything - in the ankle region ... better even than R9 and so - it will at times be ''on board''. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2005, 04:19:58 PM »
One just has to make a decision about what to carry, each time out depending on what one is wearing, weather & etc. If you start going with multiples, sooner or later  you over load the body with extra weight that can slow you down. HAHA   Tom

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2005, 08:54:50 PM »
I've pretty much settled on 2 guns and 1 knife for most purposes.  Spare ammo for the primary gun but not the backup.

Those mini-revolvers are very nice.  I have the .22 lr. version and the .22 mag. version is definitely on my future purchase list.  They are the only guns that I can wear in an ankle holster with the sock pulled up over the holster, and have it look like a bunched up sock and not something huge stuffed in the sock.

The only problem is that no one makes a really good ankle holster for it.  The only one available is the one from NAA, which is not bad for what it is, but has no padding between the gun and your leg.  I'd also much rather have the gun held in by molded leather rather than the retention strap.  The strap is easy to release with my index finger while drawing, but I have on a few occasions bumped the holster and unsnapped the snap.

Check out the "down under" holster from Ron Graham.

http://www.palehorseholsters.com/prod01.htm
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Larger carry guns
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2005, 07:03:19 PM »
>>Myhobbit a NAA mini in .22 Mag...!  Yep...Myhobbit for sure...!...TW<<

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2005, 09:54:18 AM »
My primary is a Glock 36. By BUG varies. The NAA 380 Guardian, the Rohrbaugh R9s, or a NAA Mini 22 mag with a 1&5/8 inch barrel.

I carry the mini revolver in a Ron Graham neck holster. Usually only in the winter under a sweatshirt.

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2005, 02:25:50 AM »
Until I get a Rohrbaugh, I have a NAA Guardian .380 in a pocket holster...or when dressed a little heavier this beauty that I just had breathed on by Gemini Customs.

I have lurked a while but this is my first post.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 02:27:14 AM by logical »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2005, 09:54:37 AM »
With apologies for the quality of the photography, and thanks to Duane and Chris for the assistance in understanding the process, here is a photo of my Clark Customized Colt 1991A1 with its LaserMax activated.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 11:35:01 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"