Author Topic: Grips - Rubber!    (Read 17928 times)

Offline JHawk

Grips - Rubber!  
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:37:18 PM »
Yeah, I know it spoils the looks and can stick in the pockets, etc, etc.  
I am finding myself carrying the R9 more and more these days as a BUG. Last month I took a defensive pistol class and for a few hours we practiced a number of drills using our small hideout guns.  I had the only Rohrbaugh and the others used were J frames.  I came away with a new appreciation for my pup both in accuracy and overall manageability.  Its a handsome pistol with a warriors soul!

However getting a grip on it from either a pocket holster or IWB holster was a challenge.  Even with practice it is a drawback (no pun intended) - IMHO.  What I would love to have is an option similar to that of a J frame.  A hard rubber type of Hogue monogrip that is slightly chunkier without interfering with the mag release or slide.  Yeah, it would aid in recoil but quite frankly I will only shoot 50 rounds out of it monthly and the recoil is not bad.  Just thinking out loud.......

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Grips - Rubber!  
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:45:38 PM »
Yep!  It does help to vent once in awhile.  Wishing you the best.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 04:09:55 PM »
You might like the Hogue slip on rubber grips. I use one and am happy with it.

Rick

Offline JHawk

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:26:21 PM »
You might like the Hogue slip on rubber grips. I use one and am happy with it.

Rick

Good point!  I saw these the other day and next time I am at the shop I will see how they fit the grip.  

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »
You can try the Hogue grips that they have at the Rohrbaugh store..

I would think that anything much more of a grip that is on the pup, would make it much harder to draw out of the pocket in an efficient manner..

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 07:05:32 PM »
I have what I think is the smallest one they make, and trimmed about 1/4" off to get the grip to fit well.

Rick

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »
An alternative to the pocket sticking of rubber is ghetto checkering, i.e skateboard tape.
It surprisingly works quite well even though it looks like hell.

BTW - I love your comment about the pup having a "warrior's soul".

How true.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Robfu

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 12:17:14 AM »
Pachmayr makes a slip on I am using now and to me it is not quite as gummy as the Hogue, it did also fit better for me then my Hogue slip on, because there was no trimming at all with the Pachmayr.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 04:55:41 PM »
       I have a Colt Defender in .45 acp that had the Hogue wrap around grips. They were comfortable, they provided all the stability you could ask for, but damn they were ugly!! I took them off, installed a set of Esmeralda custom grips and never looked back. Some things just shouldn't be allowed to ruin the looks of a beautiful gun.     Gene
birdman

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 06:44:28 PM »
* * * I took them off, installed a set of Esmeralda custom grips and never looked back. Some things just shouldn't be allowed to ruin the looks of a beautiful gun.     Gene

Pictures, Gene?   8)

Before I learned of Esmeralda and her work, I had outfitted my "showpiece" 1911 with Sambar Stag grips. Ever since seeing her work, I've been trying to resist the temptation to order a pair of her masterpieces:

http://www.esmeralda.cc/
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 08:29:53 PM »
    Richard, I wish I could post a picture. But, along with being a complete computer illiterate, I don't even own a digital camera. I've seen pictures that you posted of your 1911, the grips look great. I don't have a gun with sambar grips, but I do have two Bob Dozier skinning knives with sambar grips. It works great for that.    Gene
birdman

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 11:26:50 AM »
Pachmayr makes a slip on I am using now and to me it is not quite as gummy as the Hogue, it did also fit better for me then my Hogue slip on, because there was no trimming at all with the Pachmayr.

Robfu,  First, welcome to the forum. While I have not had any problems with the Hogue, I am open to other products. I looked on the Pachmayr website, and am guessing the #4 grip is the one you use. Thanks for the recommendation.

Rick

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »

Pictures, Gene?   8)

Before I learned of Esmeralda and her work, I had outfitted my "showpiece" 1911 with Sambar Stag grips. Ever since seeing her work, I've been trying to resist the temptation to order a pair of her masterpieces:

http://www.esmeralda.cc/

I have a pair of Esmeralda's on one of my Wilson's.

It's the checkered rattlesnake scales with engraved rattlesnake as well.

They are awesome.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 06:07:59 PM »

I have a pair of Esmeralda's on one of my Wilson's.

It's the checkered rattlesnake scales with engraved rattlesnake as well.

They are awesome.

Reinz:

That's like placing a cold brew in front of a thirsty man on a hot summer day.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 06:39:41 PM »
Agreed

and

the problem with Esmeralda is--

trying to pick out which gorgeous grips to get :-/