Author Topic: Grip Tape ?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline Fun_with_Guns

Grip Tape ?
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »
I've carried an R9 for over 5 years and about a year ago I took some extra "skate board" tape for IPSC shooting and put a strip on the front of the frame under the trigger guard.  It helps me draw it out of my front pocket easier/quicker and more importantly, grip it.

I'm new to the Forum and would like advice on ammo still.  Currently carrying Hornady Critical Defense (3 clips fired, no problems).  Ordered Winchester PDX1 but haven't tried them.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Grip Tape ?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 01:00:57 AM »
Jim,
   Welcome to the group. Some people had issues with hard primers in the CD ammo, Hornady gets primers from Seller & Bellot and Winchester and the S&B primers tend to be hard and would not always fire in the pup.
Speere Gold Dot and Winchester Silvertip 115gr. are the recommended fodder. I have fired many other brands in my pup with no issues and I carry 147gr Winchester Ranger LE ammo.

You must have a pretty low serial number, is it a Farmingdale model ?

John
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 01:08:00 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 06:32:58 AM »
Jim.  Welcome to the Forum.  What John said about ammo.  Sounds like you do have a fairly low serial no.  Enjoy the Forum and come back often.  Again, welcome.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fun_with_Guns

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 01:48:44 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice on ammo.  My gun's serial # is R8xx but the slide says Deer Park , N.Y. on the left hand side.  Purchase in summer of 2005.

What's the hoopla about "Farmingdale" guns?  I'm assuming that mine isn't.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 01:54:32 PM »
Farmingdale was the first place where Rohrbaugh made their guns and then moved to Deer Park, NY.  Only about 300 guns were made at the Farmingdale location, so they are considered rare and had Blue Carbon Fiber grips.  The grips, too, are considered rare and aren't made anymore.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 01:56:50 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »

I have a S/N 7XX that was a Farmingdale with black C/F grips, so they must have moved just prior to the 8XX nos..

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 02:36:35 PM »
I have a S/N 7XX that was a Farmingdale with black C/F grips, so they must have moved just prior to the 8XX nos..

Nobody (including Rohrbaugh) knows.  Your R7XX is the highest Farmingdale slide gun that I know of.  The highest Farmingdale that I knew of before yours is R600.  Yours may be the record holder!!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:39:24 PM by ccoorreeyy »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 03:10:50 PM »

It is also possible that they took some Farmingdale slides to Deer Park with them but as you said no one knows for certain.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 03:29:10 PM »
I checked my invoice and it was dated February 2005 from Tom Watson. The factory moved to Deer Park around that time frame but the "Deer Park" slides went out in July 2005 so they were probably shipping Farmingdale guns from Feb. to July even though they were in Deer Park.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:31:17 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 03:46:33 PM »
Very good point.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »
It will "never" be known for sure,with the record keeping,slide changing,re-anodizing,etc.

Let's just say that Farmies are early and that some of us like them and cherish them for what they are!!

I also cherish them for being the best 9mm pocket rocket available to protect my family-and that is what the Pup ia all about!! ;D 8)

Just a .02cents moment...
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 05:28:38 PM »
Yep!  Some of us do like the early Farmies; a lot!   :D

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »

Jim,
I noticed that the PDX1 only comes in .9mm 124 gr +P and 147 gr. in standard pressure. Which one did you order?

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 06:30:36 AM »
My first Rohrbaugh was purchased in the 2005 era, it was serial No. R6XX it had a Deer Park stamping. I ordered the R9 when they were in Farmingdale, then they closed for the move.

Welcome Jim, the ammunition is all over the place, and I believe the cause for many pistol malfunctions.
I've limited the ammunition I use in the R9 to Gold Dots and Silvertips.

I went shooting last night, brought my very trusted S&W model 66-1 revolver and had some misfires with 38 specials, these were however store bought reloads, but I never had that many misfires.