Author Topic: SKYY range reports  (Read 3166 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
SKYY range reports
« on: January 24, 2006, 01:06:08 PM »
I know many of us have been itching to read about this gun - and on Combat Carry two guys have done just that.  I have permission to copy the stuff over and thought y'all would find it of interest.

First by Robert Childers --

[size=13]
I took my new CPX-1 to the range today and put 125 rounds thru it before I had to cut my trip short. Below is my evaluation of the CPX-1 and a comparison of it against a full size Ruger P-85 and the ultra compact Kel-Tec P-38T.

Ammo used and how it performed.
I used four different types of 115-grain ball ammo for my test, WWB, American Eagle, regular CCI Blazer and CCI brass. I fired approximately thirty rounds of each brand, sometimes with one brand per magazine and other times with the different brands mixed together at random. I had no failure's of any kind with the brands used aside from two hang fires after about the 10th and 15th rounds. Both fired after a second pull on the trigger. I remembered a comment I read in another post that the trigger needs to be fully released to reset and after I made an effort to ensure I did so, there were no more problems. I fired single, slow aimed shots, groups of two or three, fired off two full magazines as fast as I could pull the trigger and there were no problems of any kind. Nine rounds fitted easily into eack of the two magazines. The gun didn't seem to prefer any particular brand, though I didn't have any hollow points or semi-wad cutters on had to try out.

How the gun performed.
I am not a big fan of DAO pistols, but the trigger pull on the CPX was very smooth, even more so than with my smaller P-38T. There was no noticeable trigger creep and the pull was consistent from shot to shot. Another shooter was also at the range with a Glock (I didn't get the model), tried the CPX and commented how much easier and smoother the trigger on the CPX was compared to his gun. The loaded magazines were easy to load into the gun and there were no problems with ejecting empty mags or having them stick in the magazine well. At 15' the gun hit POA, at 25', it hit slightly high and to the left. Using slow fire, I was able to put five shots into a 3" circle at 15' regularly. At 25' the POI increased to about 8", with most shot's under 6". The grip was comfortable, but after 40-50 shots, the mag base began to bother my little finger (it got downright sore). After I placed my pinky under the mag, the problem stopped, but it would be easier with a flat base plate. Nothing came loose, there were no broken or malfunctioning parts and the gun performed as advertised.

A comparison with two other guns.
My P-85 is a full size, service type pistol holding 15+ rounds compared to the much lighter and smaller 9 shot CPX-1. The P-85 is more accurate and has less felt recoil then the CPX, but is considerably larger and at least twice as heavy as the CPX. The P-38T is about 1/3 smaller than the CPX and about as much lighter in weight. Due to the size of the gun, the P-38T has similar felt recoil to the CPX, though it's chambered for the 380 vs. 9mm. The P-38T is less accurate at any range beyond 10' and more difficult to hold well and control. On the other hand, the K-T is much easier to conceal than any other semi-auto I've seen in caliber 380 or larger and is a true "pocket gun" compared to even the CPX. The SKYY will go into a pocket, but they should be cargo type pockets at the very least. The closest gun I have in size to the CPX is a Bersa Thunder 380. The Bersa is both larger and heavier than the 9mm CPX while the CPX holds 2 more rounds and is slightly thicker than the Bersa.

Overall opinion.
My CPX cost $220 NIB, has a solid stainless steel slide, two magazines, better fit and finish and trigger and an ambi safety, things it's closest competitor, the K-T P-11, doesn't offer, at least as standard. It was easy to control, was accurate at the ranges it's expected to be used at (under 25') and is a real bargain at a price of under $250. While a DOA pistol, the trigger was smooth and with it's small size, rounded shape and lack of sharp edges and external hammer, should make a very good carry gun. While definitely not a target pistol, I would recommend the CPX-1 to anyone looking for a home defense or carry gun. I have one and it's going to be a keeper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to use it if you like. The one complaint I have, aside from the sore finger, is the take down pin requires a tool of some kind, like a slotted screwdriver tip or small knife blade, to remove. I actually used the blade edge of some fingernail clippers I carry. It's a bit of a pain, but then again, I also need to use some sort of edge to push out the pin on my CZ or Witness. Aside from that, I think it's a fine little gun, easily comparable to any other ultra compact 9mm I've seen and at about half the price (or less) than most of them. Time will tell how it will hold up after another 1,000 rounds, but it's off to a good start. BTW, when I broke it down for cleaning, the only way I could tell it had been fired was by some powder residue around the mouth of the barrel and chamber, and not too much of that!
[/size]
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: SKYY range reports
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 01:07:59 PM »
Here is the link to factory page BTW - http://www.skyyindustries.com/gun_cpx-1b.html

The other report was from ''Rock&Glock'' -

[size=13]
My wife and I both range tested our new Skyy's (two) yesterday. We both put 75 rounds of CCI Blazer (aluminum) 115 gr. FMJ through our respective guns. No FTF's, no FTE's to that point. Perfect. Targeting similar to yours, rachilders, except I'll admit, I'm not as good a shot.  The owner of our club then wanted to look at them closer. He's a 1911 guy, but was visibly impressed with fit and finish for the price point.

I field stripped mine, and apparently when I reassembled it, the recoil spring cup didn't seat in the barrel indent exactly as designed.  After 10-20 more in mine, I got three light strikes and the second strike failed. I ejected each, and tried to fire again. failure.  I put the gun away, to strip and clean at home.

My wife started into her second "100 count", and the trigger started to fail to reset. She started shooting her Beretta, and left her Skyy for me to tinker with. I fired it several more times, then the trigger failed to reset for me a couple of times.  

Upon stripping at home last night, there was nothing observably wrong with hers. I cleaned and lubed it good.

I field stripped mine, and found that the recoil spring rod was slightly bent at the end.  I straightened it, cleaned it, and put both away.

This AM I called Skyy. I explained the occurrences on both guns to the service rep. He asked me to USP Priority mail them to him for warranty coverage. The bent rod, as well as a spring on the trigger of my wife's. He was extremely helpful, and promised he'd turn them around in a day, and have them back to me USP Priority.  He'll also give them a top to bottom look while they're in the shop.

He indicated he'd only seen two bent rods before, and two loose trigger springs, so he told me he was both surprised and apologetic.

All in all, I felt good (great) about the service and "can do" type positive attitude. He also promised to throw in a couple of free breakdown pins (I lose little things occasionally, and wanted a "back up"). He also indicated that they have flat bottom mag floors/plates in production so customers can choose flat or extended grip mags.

So, my overall impressions are still mixed: Fun to shoot, easy to shoot, accurate for what I'll use it for, will conceal very well for its caliber, and will hopefully become 110% reliable (one of my "absolutes"). My wife agrees with this analysis regarding her Skyy.

I agree with ra's overall comments. I cannot make the comparisons to the other pistols as he did, however, so I have no opinion there.

Upon their return, We plan on an extended range trip or two, including several hundred rounds through both, before we'll pass judgment on CC'ing them. Hope it will be positive - it looks like a winner - so far.

We'll post more range reports when completed.
[/size]
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Pocket_Pistol

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 01:55:56 AM »
New Skyy Micro 9mm - Not yet available.
Web page:  http://www.skyyindustries.com/Newspage.html

Seems to be approximately R-9 size.

Model MPX-9 9mm

Length = 5.3
Height = 3.65
Width = .80
Weight = 12oz
Trigger - double strike capability - same smooth, comfortable action as our CPX-1
Capacity 6+1
Comes with 2 magazines and our custom child resistant trigger guard lock
Stainless steel slide and barrel
Color Configuration - Black or Two-Tone
MSRP $389.00
Lifetime Warranty - Anyone - Anywhere - Anytime
Pocket Pistol

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 11:58:47 PM »
Sounds like it has potential.

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 01:33:21 AM »
Wow!

Sounds like they have some money behind them to bring all of this out.

~Very interesting.