Author Topic: Rohrbaugh R9s  versus  Ruger LCP  (Read 8386 times)

Offline RetiredBadge

• Sharpshooter
Rohrbaugh R9s  versus  Ruger LCP
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:50:03 PM »
Rohrbaugh R9s in 9mm the Ruger .380.  I was wanting to know the difference before I bought the "expensive" Rohrbaugh.  It is the PERFECT pocket gun.  I have carried pistols since 1979 and this has got the best after all these years.  ;D

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 05:04:43 AM by RetiredBadge »

Offline eddie_c-clamp

• Expert
Re: Rohrbaugh R9s  versus  Ruger LCP
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 10:23:10 AM »
Carries since 1979 and now have the best........Speaks volumes :)

Offline andyzx6r

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 05:35:18 PM »
I own both.  And personally carry each for different reasons.  The Rohrbaugh is simply a piece of art that is more powerful.  I carry the LCP when I am out in the yard or going to do alot of manual labor the LCP fits the job.  If I am going out for dinner or an event Rohrbaugh is my first choice where it will not see the elements like the LCP will.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »
I agree with that philosophy and have decided to alternate
the pup with  the Keltec PF9 just for such less auspicious
carry events; I know, it is ugly and cheap looking but it is
accurate and reliable just like the PA3T and I was one of
its worst critics.  

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 07:59:27 PM »
RetiredBadge:

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on acquiring what I consider to be the finest pocket pistol yet produced.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 10:30:49 PM »
Comparison? what comparison?  Not to be a horse's a$$, But you're trying to compare the best pocket 9mm in the world to a 380?
Yea I know all the excitement right now all around Ruger's new mighty mouse.  Don't get me wrong, I love Rugers, I have dozens of them.  But I wish someone in the gun press would have the balls to come out and say " Ruger just copied Kel-Tec's 3AT" .  Yes,  the big giant copied little ol Kel Tec. And it is Obvious as HeII.  Yet no one has even hinted to it.

Yes I will buy one when i find one because I know it will be a good product because it is a "Ruger", even though I know it really is a Kel-tec.   But I won't compare it to my R9, It is not even in the same ballpark.   As others have said, you use it for different occasions.

Oh-by the way- welcome to the fire, I mean campfire  :D

JMHO
Reinz
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:37:31 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline jetman

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 12:23:04 PM »
Thanks for the side by side pics of the LCP vs. the R9! I was contemplating waiting to see an LCP in person before buying my R9 and am glad I went ahead and bought my R9 anyway! I love this little "pup" and amazed that the LCP .380 is only a VERY little bit smaller than the full power 9mm R9. I'm very happy I went ahead and spent the extra $$$ for the R9! The ONLY thing I would like to see changed on the R9 is the mag release! I'm really not that fond of the mag release and wish it had a more conventional button type like other handguns for a quicker reload.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 12:25:13 PM by jetman »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 01:29:13 PM »
retired badge, welcome to the forum. The big difference is it's a 9mm.

jetman, when this is used for its purpose you will most likely not need to reload.  it's going to be close and personal.Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline eddie_c-clamp

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 09:46:31 PM »
 I like the looks of the LCP and a friend has one and he loves it.....I think the best thing about the Ruger is the relatively low price.....All that said I aint gonna buy me one, I got a LWS .380 ;D

Offline Carter

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 02:17:05 PM »
The ONLY thing I would like to see changed on the R9 is the mag release! I'm really not that fond of the mag release and wish it had a more conventional button type like other handguns for a quicker reload.

In a pocket pistol, the mag release in the conventional location can be prone to accidental release since it's often used without any holster.
The Rohrbaugh design gives a perfectly smooth profile that lessens that possibility.

One of the things I like about the R9S is the mag release where it's at.
Just a thought...