Author Topic: Finally made it to the range  (Read 5755 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Finally made it to the range
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:24:22 AM »
I had not had time to hit the range for 5 months...finally got out there with silhouette targets, R9 Covert, Boberg XR9S and Seecamp LWS .32.  Fired the R9 first, and the first mag at 7-8 yards was very disappointing...the pistol did it's job, but I was holding it too lightly (like a golf club perhaps?) and pulling down and left.  After rethinking and reviewing, a firmer grip and forearm corrected the problem nicely and it shot to point...shows that regular practice is necessary, at least for me, if I am to carry CCW.   Eventually I put 50 rounds of Lawman 124, 13 of Federal HST 124 and 7 of Gold Dot 124 through the R9 with flawless function.  The grip screws required tightening, as always, after firing (and in spite of use of O-rings and better screws)...not a problem if one simply does the tightening every 50 rounds.  The pistol was last lubricated after the range trip 5 months ago using EEZOX, and was still perfectly lubricated after being carried all that time.

The Seecamp also functioned perfectly, and grouped (all except one flier-my fault) in the kill zone.  My Boberg is a wonderful pistol, the best sight picture of the group, very accurate with target style shooting but also with point and let 'er rip style, all with very little felt recoil.  I do wish it was a bit smaller, but it is nevertheless a reasonable pocket carry in cargo pants with loose fit. 

Since there remains considerable uncertainty regarding the status of Rohrbaugh springs and parts, and since I clearly require regular practice to shoot effectively, I am putting the R9's (both of them) in the safe and will instead, without whining, moaning or beating my chest, carry one of the other two pistols mentioned above until the situation is resolved. 
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
Re: Finally made it to the range
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »
Thanks for the report, I would love to get a boberg on day. How is your shooting hand after that?

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »
I wear a shooting glove on the range for the R9 and the LWS .32.  Don't need it for the Boberg.  I have some arthritis in my wrists that becomes noticeably painful after 50 to 100 rounds, depending  on calibre and weapon.  Boberg is an excellent choice if you can afford the cost.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »
I was disappointed that I shot the CM9 more accurately than my R9 because I really love the R9.  I know I need a coach to watch me shoot I just haven't found someone yet.

I was having a problem with trailing down and to the left - my first shot would be a bullseye and then the rest would drift lower and to the left.

I wear a shooting glove because the R9 thumps my trigger finger pretty good when it goes off.  I wear a shooting glove with the CM9 too - because that damned slide stop gouges the hell out of my shooting thumb.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:29:38 AM »
I've not fired the CM9 but hear it's a nice piece.  As far as the problem with the R9, once I remembered to:
        1.  Keep a very firm grip
        2.  Keep a very stiff wrist and forearm
        3.  Not flinch, a problem I've begun to experience in the past year, mostly from just not getting         
             to the range enough
the shots were all center chest with one (last shot) flyer still a little low and left.  I do better in a two hand modified Weaver stance, but usually practice one hand (dominant) in Weaver or dueling stance.  I do wish I could burn up $1000 worth of ammo in a month, but just don't have those resources.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 08:52:45 AM »
I've not fired the CM9 but hear it's a nice piece.  As far as the problem with the R9, once I remembered to:
        1.  Keep a very firm grip
        2.  Keep a very stiff wrist and forearm
        3.  Not flinch, a problem I've begun to experience in the past year, mostly from just not getting         
             to the range enough
the shots were all center chest with one (last shot) flyer still a little low and left.  I do better in a two hand modified Weaver stance, but usually practice one hand (dominant) in Weaver or dueling stance.  I do wish I could burn up $1000 worth of ammo in a month, but just don't have those resources.

This is exactly why I prefer the both the Solo and th PM9 for pocket carry.

My R9 shoots plenty accurate enough if I do everything that John has outlined, but draw it out of your pocket and try to get 7 shots off with reasonable speed and accuracy and I find I start to lose my grip before the mag is empty.  Not so with the Solo or PM9. 

I just feel much more confident with the Solo or PM9 in my pocket.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »
Good point MRC.  I guess my unrealistic hope is that the first few rounds will settle any serious social issue that I am too unwary to avoid.  In the end we just need to carry what fits our hand, eye, style and pocket book.  I do look forward to shooting a CM9 when the opportunity presents.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis