Author Topic: Can it be done and by who?  (Read 21554 times)

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
Re: Can it be done and by who?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 12:38:35 PM »
Just ran across this thread.

I call B.S. that tritium can't be installed in an R9s! I would say that they don't want to fool with the amount of trouble it would be.

I have a Colt Nite Lite (correct spelling) that has tritium sights. It was a Colt Custom Shop .380 Mustang with tritium sights. Those sights are TINY!!!

Here is a photo I found of the Nite Lite:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 01:47:43 PM by PursuitSS »
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »
That guy probably never even held an R9.

I have S & M ASSOC Colt  GoV custom with night sights, so does my brother.

So what.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 12:37:49 AM »
I have a Kahr P380 with night sights, but that doesn't put then in an R9.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 12:51:40 AM »
Great, John! :D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kcub

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 10:53:18 AM »
Each and every Sig P238 has night sites.  

They are basically just an improved and updated Colt Mustang.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »
Each and every gun I have seen with night sights has removable
sights, not sights that are milled with the slide blank.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kcub

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 07:35:59 PM »
and that's just how the Mustang started out

Here's a dumb question, is there such a thing as tritium paint?

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 08:55:51 PM »
Tririum is regulated by the NRC and is not sold in the US.
I also found this info about trying to make paint with it for night sights.

For luminous sights, I recommend just getting a Trijicon sight.
Because it uses a phosphor-coated capsule filled with tritium gas, it will glow brighter than anything you can cook up at home for the simple reason that the beta is so low in energy that any solid or liquid absorbs most of them before they can reach the phosphor.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 11:24:11 PM »
Good info, John!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 09:50:13 AM »
How about luminova paint.   That is what Breitling and others use to make the dials and hands on a watch glow in the dark.   It may also be regulated by the NRC, I don't know, but it is very popularly used by a lot of watch companies.  Even Rolex has gone to it.   The first problem would be to find a "watch maker" who works with it who wants to fool around with a handgun slide.   The second problem would be how well it's going to stay on when it is constantly exposed to solvents oil and the elements.   In order to explore those possibilties you would need to start searching the net for someone who specializes in reluming watch dials and hands.   There are places that do that.    I don't have a link but there was a watch person in Flagstaff, Arizona, who did do faces and hands a couple of years ago because he did a watch for me.

Whether or not one needs night sights on a pistol like a Rohrbaugh is another subject altogether.    I personally think that one might be very disappointed with the result and with the utility.   The Rohrbaugh is a fine pistol for it's intended purpose.   It is not nor was it ever intended to be a 50 yard match grade gun.   It is a fairly close range defensive pistol whose chief asset is it's small size and quality.   It is a lot better than a "Push/Pull" gun.   That's a term I coined in my classes for a pistol for people who can't shoot or seem to learn to shoot properly.   It means  Push the gun into the target till the front sight disappears and pull the trigger till the target either disappears or you can see through it.  It's a facetious way of dealing with people who can't seem to get the light to come on about trigger control and focusing on the front sight and was always delivered with humor and good nature because as most of us know, in real life, it won't work for a variety of reasons.

But for those who want night sights,  if you think you want them, it's only money....get what you want or think you need.  Even if it's purely psychological, if you think it helps it probably will.   As for me I'll do without them on these mini guns.    

Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 04:51:41 PM »
I checked with a watch maker, there are actually some very small inserts some of them use but they can not provide them to the outside world. :'(
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 05:31:49 PM »
This NAA G380 has "Gutter Snipe" sights with tritium inserts. After nine years they still glow in the dark.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 10:00:55 PM »
I've got TruGlo Tritium Night Sights on a new Glock 17, Gen 4; sure hope they're that good in that length of time.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »
This NAA G380 has "Gutter Snipe" sights with tritium inserts. After nine years they still glow in the dark.

Love that set up.

Just plain simple and cool.

I have the same set up on a custom Colt Defective Special.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:18:42 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kowski1911

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »
all i can say is the reason there isnt a nite sighted rohrbaugh yet is there is too thin of material in the slide to support a night sight. Though there is experimentation going on at the rohrbaugh factory to find a reliable way to have a night sight as we speak.
kyle