Author Topic: Farmie on Gunbroker  (Read 2539 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Farmie on Gunbroker
« on: June 14, 2018, 11:13:18 PM »
Tell me more about this gun, I thought I might have a clue but this one has me baffled.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775224604

I thought by 706 they were being made in Deer Park. (My 6XX is a Deer Park)  Slide clearly says Farmingdale

Thinking it might be one of those that cracked the slide and got it replaced. 

Just don't see enough wear on the rails to think it has had but a few rounds through it.  Would not think a original slide would have cracked that early.

Is this just one of those out of sequence guns?

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Farmie on Gunbroker
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:43:52 AM »
Hey Mike, nice post and a good find!

The low down on that R9:

It looks unfired. If you notice the spare outer recoil spring ~ it is the original one to that gun as it has the one end finished and the other end, which faced forward in the gun, is of the open design like the 1911 Colts were. Another observance of mine is this: look at photograph #14. That shows the slide, barrel and recoil system as a unit ready to be installed on the frame. If you take notice. . . . in the right side of that photo you can see the back end of the slide. That is the original slide to that R9. How do I know you all are asking. . . . Ha haa. . . . In those early days, look at the back of that slide and you can see that there is a point at the end of the slide. Shortly after the early guns were made, we rounded that back of the slides by hand on a bench grinding/buffer wheel! It comes just before the cracking slide issue also I believe. That is a rare and complete "Safe Queen" gun if I ever saw one and yes, a collector would do well in making the purchase if you are looking for an early unfired unit. There it is.

Also, that should be a regular sequenced R9, not out of order at that time.

Oh, one last thing by the way. . . . We never put ear plug cases in with our R9s. So, whoever told the owner that tidbit, is quit mistaken.

Good Luck to the seller. . . . . He has a gem of an early R9 in his possession for sure!

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:45:50 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.