Author Topic: Robar, Shoot First or Send in New?  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Robar, Shoot First or Send in New?
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:57:44 PM »
Well after Corey and KJ's difference of opinion on one thread about NP3 coating and then on a previous thread about a month or so ago me and these two differed the same.

Corey says to shoot the gun a while to let the wear patterns settle in and then coat.  That way the NP3 won't wear (I am paraphrasing).

Me and KJ say the NP3 is so hard it ain't gunna wear, so just go ahead and send in a brand spankin'.

So, I decided to get it from the horse's mouth and call Robar and ask them what's best.

It turns out we were all right, but the prize really goes to Corey.

Robar says that while they have never seen any NP3 wear down, they would reccomend shooting a new gun for a while to make sure there are not going to be any wear issues.

We should have listened to Corey in the first place ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:58:52 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

ccoorreeyy

Re: Robar, Shoot First or Send in New?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:23 PM »
 ;D

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:02:35 PM »
Go ahead and Gloat, give it 2 or 3!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »
Of course Robar would recommend that. They don't want you to send it in for warranty work down the road  ;)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 09:10:46 PM »
I think I said somewhere:  I WANT IT NEW!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline bama

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »
As I showed on the other thread, my R9s was Robar'ed from the factory. I have shot & carried it without any concern, for ~300 rounds. I can't see any discernable wear on mine.
Dr John Meade
Director of Tactical Medicine
Suarez International

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:26:59 PM »
I thought it looked really good.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »
I just found what I thought I remembered to be my reason for recommending shooting before NP3'ing.  This poster had rail "wear" on his NEW ROBAR Rohrbaugh after only 34 shots.  The coating on the rails in those "wear in" spots is now gone.  I still think/say that shooting a R9 a hundered or two times before NP3 coating would be best.  But that is just my opinion.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1266975126;start=9#9

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 06:54:17 PM »
I had forgotten that thread.  I probably won't be doing Robar.  For me, that was the reason I wanted it, to prevent wear.  I know, now, if it's been fired 150 or 200 rds, that may be all the wear it will see and the Robar may prevent any more.

You did good, Corey!  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 08:10:51 PM »
 My reasons for going with the Robar finish were the increased lubricity and all internal parts being coated, protecting them from corrosion and wear. My gun had been fired before the trip to Robar.
   I don't think any coating would stop stainless from wearing aluminum. Coating all the internal parts will and does make them work smoother.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 08:56:41 PM »
I agree, John.  I was just hoping I had found something to prevent the wear.

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 09:01:14 AM »
My reasons for going with the Robar finish were the increased lubricity and all internal parts being coated, protecting them from corrosion and wear. My gun had been fired before the trip to Robar.
   I don't think any coating would stop stainless from wearing aluminum. Coating all the internal parts will and does make them work smoother.

John

One of the things I used to do some years ago when I was building custom 1911's as a sideline, was to selectively mask off both the slide and frame rails and send them out to be electroless nickle plated.   That gave very good lubricity and cut down on wear.   This was mainly on Colt LW Commanders.  Seemed to work just fine.   If that's what you are after "wear resistance" that might be a  thought.  However, while there are lots of people doing an electroless nickle process today, the cost of  masking etc might be a little much for what you get from it.
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms