Author Topic: Please excuse this noobie question.............  (Read 2123 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Please excuse this noobie question.............
« on: July 21, 2020, 04:20:11 PM »
Took the little guys out for a day at the range last week and on the way back could not remember how may rounds I'd put through each ones springs.  So, ordered a 5 pack of outer recoil springs from Wolff.  Figured I would replace them and start counting from zero again.

Package arrived yesterday and I decided to spend the afternoon cleaning handguns and replacing springs in them and a few other guns.

Question I have, and I should know this or at least be able find it on the forum is, why are my new springs a coil or two longer than the ones I got from the factory?  I know that Wolff made the OEM springs.  These don't have a 'cut' end and a finished end, both ends are finished.

I got them in with the usual level of difficulty, and they appear to function correctly.  However I will not be able to function check my everyday carry gun for a week or so. 

Should I cut them to match the original ones, or leave them alone?

BTW, if any of you get an invitation from a VIP member of the Athena gun club in Houston, go!  Got invited and took advantage of it.  I've never shot in the members only area and it's nice. Private range, private cigar lounge, private lockers and restrooms, stack of free targets in the range, private sitting area with snacks and drinks, private entrance, etc.  1st class establishment.  Nice difference from the side of the range that caters to the proletariat.

Offline Griff

• Expert
Re: Please excuse this noobie question.............
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 04:31:01 PM »
The springs shorten once they have been installed and compressed through some cycles, whether from racking or firing.
Even if they haven't gone through the recommended number of cycles to require replacing, they will still have shortened by a coil or two.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 04:58:07 PM »
Eric mentioned that they switched from recoil springs with a cut end to finished on both ends, this was because the cut end springs could be installed incorrectly. And yes, they’re slightly longer.
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 05:56:49 PM »
Eric mentioned that they switched from recoil springs with a cut end to finished on both ends, this was because the cut end springs could be installed incorrectly. And yes, they’re slightly longer.

Yes Sir. . . . . What he said.  lol

A number of "Defects" came back with jamming slides. Well, the owner or gunsmith would put the recoil spring in backward, as if that's the companies fault, and return it to us as if it was defective. The damage that did to the inside was not pretty. So, we designed the spring to be finished and closed at both ends, then you can not install it backward anymore.  Funny how so many other auto pistols had closed and open recoil springs and you never heard of one of them being installed wrong!? Ah well. . . . . so it goes.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 06:29:53 PM »
Got it, thanks.

So, I've got some vintage (used and un-used springs) in my collection.  That would explain the difference.

Just so everyone knows, if using the early, original springs the 'cut' side goes into the cup at the front, correct???

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 06:49:03 PM »
That is correct.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 09:09:43 AM »
Yes, that is correct Mike.  Now you're good to go!
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 01:57:30 PM »
Thanks guys for all the help.  I decided to take a picture so that any future viewers will understand the issue I faced yesterday.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 08:42:24 PM »
Nicely done Mike. Thanks from all of us here!