Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 210760 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Thanks for the insight tracker. This seems logical and I guess since mine is probably not a cracked frame I may be able to request no new frame without talking to me. The warranty fee seems fair as well if required.

I did not know that about Smith & Wesson. I heard they have been very liberal on their warranties, but that must be to original owners.

Thanks.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

Also, after just talking to my gunsmith he suggested that a knowledgeable gunsmith can polish the feed ramp and breech face to possibly address feeding, jamming, and extraction problems. If a new extractor or other part replacement is needed  then the problem couldn't be fixed with no parts available. If I were bobsmith I would have someone gently smooth the ramp and breech. It won't hurt and it might help.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
If I were Bob Smith I would sell Josh A that Rohrbaugh he has for 500 bucks 😜 What do you say Bob?

That actually sounds like a very smart idea tracker. Bob actually mentioned that in a previous post that he was considering polishing his feed ramp and chamber (I think this is the right term), but I think he is too busy posting on this forum about how his Rohrbaugh doesn't work to actually fix it.

Come on Bob. You know that was funny.

By the way Bob I did get a new wrist brace designed for the R9 when I get it fixed. I actually can have the R9 bolted through my wrist bones in order to prevent any limp wristing. I will be posting them for sale on the classified section. They will require a "minor surgery" to install, but I'm expecting great sales.

Forget those wimpy pinky extensions.

Sorry guys. Too much coffee today. Guatamala Antigua made me do it.

I will do my best to behave now.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master

Also, after just talking to my gunsmith he suggested that a knowledgeable gunsmith can polish the feed ramp and breech face to possibly address feeding, jamming, and extraction problems. If a new extractor or other part replacement is needed  then the problem couldn't be fixed with no parts available. If I were bobsmith I would have someone gently smooth the ramp and breech. It won't hurt and it might help.

Thanks for the great info.  I was thinking about having the chamber polished as there are some machining marks which concern me and since I have an extraction issue it seemed logical. Also, I wish we could stiffen the extractor spring. It's real weak.   I imagine I could have that done for about the cost of the fedex tab back to the factory by ANY decent gun smith.  I'm concerned it would be grounds for a warranty denial down the road, so I have held off until to see if a new company comes online. I also don't want to wear out my recoil spring tinkering with it. It has NEVER failed to feed a new cartridge.  It's always the same extraction failure.

I'm confident it will be resolved at some point, though the realist in me thinks it will be at my cost and effort. 

Josh, I'm not trying to be a jerk about it regarding your warranty.  I really hope they do it for you, but I wouldn't count on it.  If the company did sell to Para it doesn't look like they will cover it.  Was that the guess, I can't recall now?  Or was it Freedom Group?  Anyway, here is the first thread that came up on Para warranty work.   Lifetime warranty usually only applies to the original owner.  That's how they limit costs of repairing things and how long they will have liability for the expense of servicing guns. Think about S&W will all the millions of guns they have on the market and if anyone who picked up a beater 5906 from the 90s could send it back for free repairs.   

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=305372

"Any of the other manufactures will stand behind their product ... NOT Para Ordnance USA ... unless you are the signed and sealed original owner! What an easy way out of addressing a problem! My vote in the future will go to someone other than Para."

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
If I were Bob Smith I would sell Josh A that Rohrbaugh he has for 500 bucks 😜 What do you say Bob?

That actually sounds like a very smart idea tracker. Bob actually mentioned that in a previous post that he was considering polishing his feed ramp and chamber (I think this is the right term), but I think he is too busy posting on this forum about how his Rohrbaugh doesn't work to actually fix it.

Come on Bob. You know that was funny.

By the way Bob I did get a new wrist brace designed for the R9 when I get it fixed. I actually can have the R9 bolted through my wrist bones in order to prevent any limp wristing. I will be posting them for sale on the classified section. They will require a "minor surgery" to install, but I'm expecting great sales.

Forget those wimpy pinky extensions.

Sorry guys. Too much coffee today. Guatamala Antigua made me do it.

I will do my best to behave now.

Yeah.. I can get away with personal internet use at the office a little bit ( Alt-Tab rules).  Not sure about working on my pistol here though.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
You're a good sport Bob. Thanks for not getting offended at my folly.

You make a lot of sense with your warranty talk, but perhaps I can receive a little remediation for this minor kerfuffle.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

I just recently talked to a S&W technician and he confirmed that they would only honor warranty work for the original registered buyer. I don't know about their past policy.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Thanks Tracker. Makes sense. That's all I can say. If someone sent in the original card with their name on it I wonder if they would honor it.

Also, for anyone interested in the Kimber solo I just posted pics of there internals after 1000 plus rounds here:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=7312.0

And for the record to all of the naysayers on this little production gun please note that the gun has functioned with 100% reliability when using 124, 147 and premium 115 even when doing a lot of one handed and one handed weak side training.

John Stuart Mill

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
Thanks Tracker. Makes sense. That's all I can say. If someone sent in the original card with their name on it I wonder if they would honor it.

Also, for anyone interested in the Kimber solo I just posted pics of there internals after 1000 plus rounds here:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=7312.0

And for the record to all of the naysayers on this little production gun please note that the gun has functioned with 100% reliability when using 124, 147 and premium 115 even when doing a lot of one handed and one handed weak side training.

Don't worry Josh.  It will be all good soon. They'll make an exception for you, and hook you up! You might get a new one actually.   So you'll save those franklins you're worried about.  I'll put my name on it:)

bob

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
One can always hope Bob : )

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... BUT
« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »
The last discussion on the forum that I recall about previously owned R9 warranty is that the new owner could ship it to the factory and the warranty would be updated, for a price. There was a charge of $100-150 plus shipping for this service but maybe Duane could clarify that previous policy. Everything now is subject to change, of course, and we don't have a good read on it. Still, I think I would wait to deal with the new Rohrbaugh, if possible. The only downside to the previous warranty update policy was that a Farmingdale could be converted to a Deerdale with the installation of a new slide,  for example, because the factory brought everything about the gun up to current spec. That happened to me, as an original owner, with a cracked slide on a Farmingdale. That initially upset me but now the gun is completely reliable and I wouldn't trade it or sell it because it is a carry weapon and not an investment/safe queen.

This original owner warranty restriction concept is not unique in the industry. Smith and Wesson has a rather inflexible stance on the original owner warranty restriction. They will sell or send parts, however.

I would bet a case of Gold Dots that there is a problem with all the Farmingdale Slides as so many have been replaced.  The Bren Tens had slides machined from castings and many had cracks,  The only way to determine which ones was to shoot it until it broke or X-ray the part.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

You would lose the case of Gold Dots; there were only a few, maybe 5, in the 500-700 S/N range that had slide cracks from a bad batch of bar stock. Many Farmingdales before and after that vintage have fired thousands of rounds without an issue. Broad generalizations can often be misguided and distort the facts.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
I have no proof, but I find that hard to believe.  That explanation probably came from the same source who told me this barrel is perfectly normal and all ours look like that.

Bad bar stock would be rare, my guess improper heat treatment.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:15:50 PM by MRC »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

You may find it hard to believe but that is one of the many good things about this forum; members are very willing to make their problems known to the rest of us. The low number of slide cracks came from reporting members here. Of course, there could be some cracked slides that weren't made known to us but that would also be in the single digit minority. I don't know who told you about the bad barrel lands being normal but it wasn't us on the forum. I agree wholeheartedly with you that the barrel quality on those guns was unacceptable. I can verify that all of the R9 barrels did not look like that. Again, generalizations can distort the facts.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
I was told that by Maria after I emailed the pictures to Eric. Eric told her to tell me that as the reason they would not replace the barrel.  I was told if the gun functions, why would I care.

I asked to talk to Eric and he did not want to talk to me.

This pistol did not function.  The second one is 100% reliable and the barrel looks nearly the same.  It also has made this pistol impossible to sell as I believe one needs to disclose any defects when selling a firearm.

That is why I do not believe every thing that comes from the factory.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:31:19 PM by MRC »