Author Topic: Thunderbolt  Range Report  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt  Range Report
« on: April 15, 2006, 07:54:36 PM »
Hey Folks,

My last post was about shopping for ammo; today, I tried out two totally different (new to me) loadings.

Magtech: 92.6 gr. SCHP (solid copper hollow point) oal:1.110 in.  8)
Speer: 124 gr. Gold Dot Hollow Points. oal: 1.126 in.

This time I was able to get on the 7yd. line for my 20 rounds of each. The wind was about 20 mph. gusting to 30 or more; at least at was directly at my back.

I started off with two mags of the Gold Dots and should have stopped there with that 1.75 inch group of twelve. Then I decided to go ahead and "finish off" the box and opened up that group to a little over 3.5 inches  :-/ . The Gold Dots had one slight feeding problem during firing and the very first round went straight into the feed ramp and held the slide open  ??? .

The Mag Tech 92.6 gr. Solid Copper Hollow Points all fed and fired without incident. They seem more eager to negotiate the feed ramp and into the chamber  :) (at least so far). Accuracy wasn't quite as good as the Gold Dots (quite possibly me with assistance from the wind) about 5 inches  :( . Another thing, recoil seemed slightly less.  Also noted the M.T. fired cases, the primer on about half of them hardly showed any indention at all (I'm thinking that the anvil in the primer might be closer to the surface  ???  ??? )   The data on the Mag Tech box shows: 92.6 gr., MV 1330 fps., ME 364 lbs. Honestly, I'm kinda excited  ;) about these rounds.

I ordered two boxes of each for my test from Midway and I'm pretty happy with both but I'm leaning toward the Mag Techs. The cost was pretty decent and shipping was absorbed by all of the other "stuff" that I ordered along with them. A Pachmayr slip on grip was among this "other stuff" and it Rocks  ;D (just what I needed). On disassembly, the pup wasn't very dirty at all.

Regards,
Thunderbolt
"Since you have chosen to elect a man with a timber toe to succeed me, you may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."   Hon. Davey Crockett