Author Topic: New Guy from Charlotte  (Read 8106 times)

Offline Dberg

• NRA Patron  Life Member
New Guy from Charlotte
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:24:56 PM »
Hello all.  Great forum you all have here.  I have had my R9 Stealth now for a week and love it.  I fought hard not to want this weapon but couldn't resist due to the ease of concealment.  I chose this instead of the Kimber Ultra Raptor.  It's not as pretty but very functional.  So looking through the forum I have seen some of you who have had Robar service it and some have had Cogan.  If you all don't mind I would love to hear what you think about each and the differences.  I would like to have the sites bored and epoxy painted as well as either stippling or checkered on the handle.  I like the idea of the the pup having the NP3 or chrome but would love to hear yalls thoughts on it.  I spoke to both companies and it's about the same in price but Robar said they never heard of anyone doing the sites.  Cogan recommends porting as well.  Not sure about that one since I think it may collect pocket stuff.  I also ordered two holsters from Meco based on the recommendations on this forum.

Thanks ahead for your time.

Semper Fi
Mike
Semper Fi

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: New Guy from Charlotte
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 04:29:46 PM »

Welcome Mike. I've heard good things about both of them. Robar does the internals whereas Cogan does not. Bob Cogan, on the other hand is a real gentlemen and c/s oriented. Take your pick.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:49:11 PM »
Mike.  Welcome to the Forum.  Congrats on the Stealth.  tracker is right on.  I am on the fence between the two and am leaning toward Robar, because they can coat the internals.  This helps in keeping the little wonder clean and makes all those parts slick.  Again welcome, and post often.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:21:34 PM »
Mike,
  An official first post welcome. As I mentioned in our PMs before, Robar did the sight dots on my pup, maybe the guy who did them is no longer there. I think either place is a good choice. I wanted the internals coated and for that reason went with Robar.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dberg

• NRA Patron  Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 05:25:24 PM »
Good to hear John.  I am leaning more towards Robar.  Any thoughts on porting?
Semper Fi

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »
Dberg - Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service!

While my Rohrbauh is not NP3'd, I have two other carry guns that have been treated.  I highly reccomend it!  I also have certain parts on other guns treated as well.  
You will not be disappointed.
Again, while my Rohrbaugh is not ported, I have other carry guns ported.  There are pluses and minuses.
I think it would probably be best to hear from ccoorreeyy since he has at least two of each in R9s.  I think that would be a more fair assessment.

Enjoy the forum

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
I was going to suggest we check with Corey also, my thoughts would be just that, thoughts, and not facts.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »
Yep.  Go to the source.  Corey will be glad to help.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 08:40:05 PM »
Not much to add to the good posts above except to welcome you to the Forum! Marines are always welcome around here. Thank you for your service to our country.

HOOAH!   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 08:50:27 PM »
I dont have a NP3'ed R9 yet (working on that now  ;)) but I do have a couple that Bob Cogan worked his magic on.  I have/had both a checkered R9 and a stippeled R9.  The checkered one was a better looking gun but the stippeled on looks good too.  The R9 I carry daily is stippeled, ported, sites milled and chrome plated.  I love that gun!  The porting is not for everone but I do love mine with it.  I forget the exact numbers but I think im loosing about 8% of the overall f.p.s..  Follow up shots are much faster and overall recoil is milder too.  

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 08:59:02 PM »
ccoorreey - do you have much increase in the noise factor with your porting?

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 09:05:12 PM »
Yes, I think it is louder.  But I always wear good ear muffs so I can't say how much louder it is.  It's not as loud as my 357 snuby.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »

The problem is that we don't have on our hearing protection when we carry it for self defense.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
If I have to shoot sombody I wont care how loud it is.  I would bet its like when I shoot a deer.  I dont remember it kicking or being loud but I know it was.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 09:54:50 PM »

That may be but carrying a .357 Magnum for concealed carry guarantees a hearing loss.