Author Topic: Looks like Remington's R9 variation  (Read 18915 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Looks like Remington's R9 variation
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 06:02:40 PM »
Legally, of course, the designs are theirs...  However you would think it appropriate to acknowledge the history of the design.  In fact, some customers might find that to be a selling point, no?

I would agree with you Duane, except that in my opinion, the majority of gun owners that would even think about purchasing a firearm from Remington, especially in that price range, have never even heard of the name Rohrbaugh. A small amount of potential customers might find that to be a selling point. I think that Remington has a larger market share on their mind.

I agree wiyh you Norm, they are looking at the Glock 42/CW380 crowd,
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:26:18 PM by MRC »

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 06:54:48 PM »

I have always been surprised at how many gun owners and firearms compatible people have never heard of the Rohrbaugh. In fact, other than this forum I have not met one except at a small, exclusive gun store in Dallas.

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 07:30:12 PM »

I have always been surprised at how many gun owners and firearms compatible people have never heard of the Rohrbaugh. In fact, other than this forum I have not met one except at a small, exclusive gun store in Dallas.

I think the same is with Bobergs, not many have heard of them.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 09:21:31 PM »

Approximately, how many Bobergs have been sold?

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 09:29:51 PM »
Good question?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 10:16:08 PM »
I would agree with you Duane, except that in my opinion, the majority of gun owners that would even think about purchasing a firearm from Remington, especially in that price range, have never even heard of the name Rohrbaugh. A small amount of potential customers might find that to be a selling point. I think that Remington has a larger market share on their mind.

I agree with this -- that is why I said "some."  At any rate, it would be an interesting story and it wouldn't likely discourage anyone from buying.

I think you could spin it as Remington purchased this award winning design for a high quality "boutique" pistol and has brought it to everyman with the magic of Remington efficiency, etc.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 10:24:52 PM »
I just watched the gunblast RM380 YouTube video. Those still pics when it shows the back of he gun with the hammer and the barrel are most certainly not made to the quality of the rohrbaugh guns.  I was not familiar with metal injection molded parts before but those look terrible. What a shame.
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 11:56:38 PM »
Don't forget the 200 years of Remington experience that went into this gun!! 8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 07:47:12 AM »
WOW! Just a "wee bit" of familiar design cues in that "new" introduction, I'd say!

You'd think they'd try to disguise its lineage maybe just a little...

Then again, maybe not. Once you buy out a company, you then own their designs. It would seem to me that at least acknowledging its obvious heritage would be the honorable thing to do. After all, they mentioned the ill-fated R-51 was an updated version of the Pederson "hesitation locked" action design.

Very good point Ted. We did our best to do the honorable things thoughout our years, and I feel good about that . . . . . ecr
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:51:16 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 08:07:25 AM »
Eric,
     And you did sir,you did!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 08:31:17 AM »

Very good point Ted. We did our best to do the honorable things thoughout our years, and I feel good about that . . . . . ecr

As well you should, Eric; that's a very critical measure of a man, IMO! No matter where you go, what you do, or what cards you're dealt, if you have honor, you have a lot going for you.

You guys certainly designed and built a very cool little pistol while you were at it, and I feel very fortunate that I bought my R9 Stealth when I did!
Ted

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »
The number of Rohrbaugh handguns manufactured and sold may be relatively few in number compared to the products of many other handgun manufacturers, but if you own one you are entitled to take pride in knowing that you own a unique piece of history in the development of firearms for personal defense -- something that is not only a handgun but also a functional work of art.  By way of example:

[/
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 11:12:17 PM »

"Life Is Good"

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 11:26:03 PM »
-- something that is not only a handgun but also a functional work of art.  By way of example:

[/

And you sure make a strong case for the "functional work of art" there, Richard! :D
Ted