Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 210674 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...
« Reply #630 on: October 19, 2015, 10:54:47 PM »
No Josh. . . . . Just cycling the slide to remove or replace a round is not affecting the recoil spring count as it is not taking the hit from a round being fired. Different set of dynamics in play Good Sir!  ;-)

Eric R.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #631 on: October 20, 2015, 11:28:05 AM »
If you put it back into the safe why do you need to eject the loaded round to make the gun secure? I know you have children at home but just ejecting the round in the barrel doesn't make the gun safe if the loaded mag is still in the gun. My HST in the pipe usually never leaves it unless I pull the trigger.

I do use the R9 and one other pistol most of the time and can just holster them in the safe with the round chambered. Perhaps I will consider modifying my practice.

Thanks for the good idea tracker.

I used to put my holstered gun loaded into the safe also, but I stopped that a couple of years ago.  I felt I would be using my P380 quite soon and i did not.  Months later I get it out just to look at it and did not check it first (stupid).

Nothing hurt but I learned my lesson.  It is just not a good idea and I live by myself.  JMO

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #632 on: October 20, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »
Reasonable minds will differ on this subject and one factor is probably the number of your carry pistols. Mine is always the R9 and I always know that it is loaded. Forgetting to chamber a round can work to your disservice also.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #633 on: October 20, 2015, 12:41:45 PM »
If you put it back into the safe why do you need to eject the loaded round to make the gun secure? I know you have children at home but just ejecting the round in the barrel doesn't make the gun safe if the loaded mag is still in the gun. My HST in the pipe usually never leaves it unless I pull the trigger.

I have a few too many guns in my rotation to be honest. I have made it my practice to only chamber a round in a weapon I'm carrying. May not be necessary for some, but my people tend to be a slightly scatter brained folk from time to time and I have found myself fooling around with a pistol for a solid 30 seconds before actually thinking "is there a round in this chamber?" Not good. So I elimainate that by unloading prior to re safing. Then no finger on the trigger. Then racking and inspecting the firearm prior to messing with it.

If it's a weapon I'm carrying or bedside it's hot and always treated as such.

Good question. Probably overkill for some people.

I do use the R9 and one other pistol most of the time and can just holster them in the safe with the round chambered. Perhaps I will consider modifying my practice.

Thanks for the good idea tracker.

Good move Josh...I agree fully.  I used to keep a live weapon in the gunsafe in case I was forced to open it under threat, but decided that there was too much risk.  I do keep a sign in each safe that says "all gun here are loaded" as a reminder myself and my grown boys when there comes a time for them to open the safes.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #634 on: October 20, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »
Reasonable minds will differ on this subject and one factor is probably the number of your carry pistols. Mine is always the R9 and I always know that it is loaded. Forgetting to chamber a round can work to your disservice also.

tracker, you are exactly right.  At times I have been carrying too many different guns.  I have been on the Solo for quite some time and I never unload it except shooting at the range and it never goes in the safe.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #635 on: October 20, 2015, 06:58:04 PM »

In any case there is a lot to be said for keeping it simple.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #636 on: October 20, 2015, 10:48:40 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I appreciate the thoughts and think we are all on the same page. If a guy has too many guns in carry rotation to keep track of which ones are loaded and which ones aren't, then don't leave it loaded : )

I am still on a mission to find the perfect all around carry piece but I find myself in a few different clothing and weather scenarios that keep me  vacillating. With the R9 being very reliable it's my 1st pick for pocket carry on days clothing keeps a holster off of my belt. Other than that I am bouncing between the ol G27 and Frankenglock 30S and 239 in 357 Sig for IWB. Still love the 27 and I honestly shoot it as well as a 26 with +p 9mm.

So perhaps until I streamline a bit more I'll keep on. That being said I see how it makes sense to put  a carry pistol in the safe with a round if it's a primary carry piece and your rotation is narrow.

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:51:01 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #637 on: October 21, 2015, 10:26:14 AM »
By Josh, I think you've got it; especially with those ear splitting hand cannons.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #638 on: January 13, 2022, 10:58:35 PM »
Hey fellas, just jumped on to say hey and thanks for all of the awesome help getting my first R9 rolling smoothly. It’s morphed into my usual daily carry for the last 5 years or so and I still love the thing.

Glad to see most of the old names still posting regularly.

Hope you all stay well! You guys are awesome.

John Stuart Mill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #639 on: January 14, 2022, 05:08:01 PM »
Great to hear from you again, Josh in the Hoosier state.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #640 on: January 14, 2022, 08:06:58 PM »
Hello Josh. . . . . . Carrying the R9 for some 5 years now!?   Niiiiice..............

Great to see you here again. . . . . and yes, even I am still around checking in.

Stay safe out there good Sir!

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #641 on: January 15, 2022, 10:15:14 AM »
Well darn it Josh, ‘bout time you checked in!…The Forum is very quiet, but still valuable.  Come back occasionally and say “Hi”.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis