Author Topic: Another 1st Impressoin  (Read 3280 times)

Offline skorpyd

• Sharpshooter
Another 1st Impressoin
« on: January 06, 2011, 02:49:24 PM »
Finally made it to the range to try out the new pup.   As expected the recoil was brisk.  My first joint of the trigger finger is a bit sore.   Trigger pull long but smooth.  I used up one box 20, of 147gr gold dots. One box 25 of golden saber 124gr, and one box 20 of Mac Ammo 115gr jhp.   The Mac were at a local gun show and made by a local company.  They had a nice story at the show and the box looked nice so I thought I would give em a try.

The Gold Dots and the Sabers both performed flawlessly.  I was shooting 7 yards 2 handed and shot a bit better group with the sabers.

I see most people are using the 115 gr gold dots, but I couldn't find any at the couple of stores I went to.   I see some of you guy's get them through online suppliers how does that work?   Can they send them direct to me?

The Mac Ammo were a different story.   The first round FTF,
looked at it and it had indentation in the primer.  the rest of that clip all fired.   Second clip the 3rd or 4th round FTF, again with a dent in primer.   Third clip first round FTF with primer dented.    At that point I took all remaining rounds, including the FTF's, of Mac Ammo and put them in my old Ruger P-85 and they all went bang.

I guess I am to assume that the R9S has a fairly weak firing system.  Obviously I won't be using Mac Ammo in it again.    
It will be found an unjust and unwise jealously to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition that he may abuse it.
George Washington

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Another 1st Impressoin
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 03:10:33 PM »

Mac probably uses foreign primers, many of which are hard and not compatible with the R9 and other short barreled 9mm. pistols, as you discovered. There are many good online ammo shippers: ammotogo and ammoman are two familiar ones. Ammoman has free shipping.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
Well...  I wouldn't say "weak," I would say well-tuned.  Karl has always said the R-9 is a Ferrari and its designed to run on premium gas.   If you use top quality ammo, you will be fine.  They could have made the hammer fall harder to set off every primer out there, but the trigger wouldn't be as nice.  Everything is trade-off, and I can live with this one.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »
skorpyd,
    I believe between tracker & Duane they covered the cause of the FTFs.
  As to ordering ammo online, yes they ship directly to you and often by US mail. (you and I can not ship ammo that way only by UPS or Fed-Ex)
  Be careful when ordering the Gold Dot 115gr because they come in standard pressure and +P+

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 08:17:50 PM »
skorpyd.  Excellent reponses above and as Duane says, be sure use quality ammo.  You'll save yourself a lot of pain and grief in doing so.  The R9 needs to be fed the good stuff.  It's a thoroughbred, so to speak.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:34:52 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln