Author Topic: Silvertips  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Silvertips
« on: January 04, 2011, 06:36:06 PM »
I have not shot silvertips for years. I use to carry them in my 32 Seecamp. At one time that was the gun maker's recommended round. Then they changed the hardness of the bullet and there were feeding problems. So much so that Seecamp stopped recommending them. Has anyone had any problems with them?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:43:32 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Silvertips
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 06:55:39 PM »

No.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:04 PM »
No
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:37:51 PM »
No.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline rodell

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:34:51 AM »
I shot 50 of them last weekend through the R9S and every one fed, fired, and flung just like they are supposed to.

Only one gun from enough ...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »
I have not shot silvertips for years. I use to carry them in my 32 Seecamp. At one time that was the gun maker's recommended round. Then they changed the hardness of the bullet and there were feeding problems. So much so that Seecamp stopped recommending them. Has anyone had any problems with them?

I think Winchester got the message and corrected the problem caused by their change in Silver Tip production -- another validation of the maxim, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

This link to Larry Seecamp's Forum may be of interest with regard to his currently recommended loads for the LWS32 and LWS380:

http://www.seecamp.com/ammunition.htm
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
tHANKSRe: Silvertips
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »
Thanks for the up date.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 06:30:03 AM »
This link to Larry Seecamp's Forum may be of interest

Richard thanks for that link - it is an interesting read. Seecamps are fine pistols and I think the Rohrbaugh shares some DNA with them.

When you shrink a design down in size it's logical to have to start making some assumptions about ammo and that some ammo is going to work better than other ammo. Larry's post shows just how far that goes.

In particular I found his comments about lot numbers and his recommendation that you should shoot some rounds from the same lot number you carry make a lot of sense but are something I would never have thought about.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:33:06 AM by JR956678 »