Author Topic: DOUBLETAP  (Read 80492 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Re: DOUBLETAP
« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2012, 09:39:35 AM »
I wanted one of those in 9mm and I was always sorry I didn't get one, although I didn't know the spents cases to be pryed out manually with your fingernails.

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »
Yes, their isn't anyway to lift
them free from the chamber
like a .38 Special Type round
which has a rim at the base of
the brass. I wanted a 9mm
because of its higher pressure
will usually outperform an
equivalent weight Projectile
in a .38 Special.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:57:58 AM by billib »

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »
Note to entrepreneurs:  another good example of how NOT to handle a product release.

If they ever do get someone to reliably manufacture the Double Tap, they will have a much harder time filling orders because they only succeeded in pissing off thousands of potential customers who now distrust them. 
Ted

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »
I wanted one of those in 9mm and I was always sorry I didn't get one, although I didn't know the spents cases to be pryed out manually with your fingernails.

Don't know why 45 ACP would be any different for Double Tap.

The Bond and American Derringer function the same way.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2012, 06:49:38 PM »
I had a 9mm derringer and you didn't have to pluck the empties out with your fingernails, the extractor worked just fine.  ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2012, 07:04:30 AM »
I had a 9mm derringer and you didn't have to pluck the empties out with your fingernails, the extractor worked just fine.  ;D

What make was it ?
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2012, 08:39:51 AM »
When I first read about the Double Tap - they only had info about it being the smallest .45 and I immediately thought "there is no way I am going to shoot a .45 that small.."  But at the end of the press release there was a blurb that the DoubleTap would be offered in 9mm, and then I became interested in the little 2 shot.

Compare doubletap 2 vs R9 7 in nearly similar packages.  R9 every time if 9mm considered.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #202 on: October 25, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »
Note to entrepreneurs:  another good example of how NOT to handle a product release.

If they ever do get someone to reliably manufacture the Double Tap, they will have a much harder time filling orders because they only succeeded in pissing off thousands of potential customers who now distrust them.

Ya - and Charter Arms with their 9mm CARR (now called PITBULL in 9mm), it's suppossedly been coming out soon FOREVER

I wrote the company an e-mail on July 11th asking when the revolver would be coming out and Dee Ecker wrote that they were shipping to distributors but they were already backordered by 12 weeks.

Well it's been more than 12 weeks and those revolvers are nowhere to be seen - they're not in the hands of distributors.

I've basically given up on getting one of those, and by the time they do come out my money will probably already be spent.  I'll probably buy an Alfa Proj import instead - The 3" revolver in 9mm sold out fast this year, Dan at Czechpoint USA said they're getting more in January.

So much for Charter Arms...

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2012, 09:54:16 AM »
I'm sure that the Charter Arms that is in business
today isn't the same Charter Arms of the past. For
whatever thats worth.

I use to have a Model 60 Smith. My friend had the
Charter Arms equivalent model pistol to the 60. I
pock carried or carried under my arm in a Leather
Holster that suspended the 60 Upside Down. He
carried the same way.

His Charter Arms would develop Surface Rust. We
switched for a month and it would rust for me as well
but the 60 remained free of Surface Rust so it wasn't
his fault the Charter Arms rusted. YES, it was cleaned
properly and wiped down regularly. Cheap Stainless
I guess.

I wanted a Chartes Arms Bulldog .44 Special in Stainless
until the rust issue. I ended up selling him my 60 and I
bought a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm. Had to defeat its
HORRIBLE magazine safety! Hate it when a gun CAN"T
go bang when the trigger is pulled. I guess nothin's
perfect.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is.......will the
current Charter Arms be a higher quality then in
its past? I don't remember any Gun Magazine
reporting on a Rust issue with Charter Arms pistols.
Of course, the Internet would expose any problems.
Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet for us back then.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #204 on: June 04, 2013, 11:55:30 AM »
I really did not think these would ever make it to the marketplace but here they are.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=345671800

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=345569544

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #205 on: June 04, 2013, 01:34:25 PM »
I would be leery of these coming up for sale now without knowing if they are in full production or not. Here is a link and update that mentions their manufacturing partner, Azimuth Technology, LLC, out of Florida. It looks like they have made some enhancements from the original prototypes. I still think I would give it some time before purchase consideration. Heizer is out of it but whose name still pulls up the link.

http://heizerfirearms.com/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:44:57 PM by tracker »

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #206 on: June 05, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »
It's a long strange story.  Heizer is now coming out with their own version of the Doubletap.  From my understanding, they have a 2 shot as well as a single shot in 410/45LC. 

Ray Kohout moved his interests away from Heizer and partnered with Azimuth for production, packing, shipping, etc.  Ray founded Doubletap Defense as the name of his new venture without Heizer involvement.

Still don't know if or when I'll be getting a T&E for review.  So much time has gone by since 10/2011, I'm probably way down or off their list now.  I guess we'll see what happens over the next few months.

Funny how we had zero new Derringer models in the market and now we have 3. 
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #207 on: June 05, 2013, 07:48:08 PM »

and here is the Heizer Pocket Shotgun; since it looks very similar to the DoubleTap this should be an interesting odyssey to follow in the future.

http://heizerdefense.com/

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2013, 01:59:12 AM »
The product page has the HD1 and HD2 pictured.

http://heizerdefense.com/products.html

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #209 on: June 06, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »

and here is the Heizer Pocket Shotgun; since it looks very similar to the DoubleTap this should be an interesting odyssey to follow in the future.

http://heizerdefense.com/

:o
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety