Author Topic: accuracy & keyholing  (Read 1774 times)

Offline prydwen

accuracy & keyholing
« on: August 31, 2006, 07:07:37 AM »
a test of the rohbaugh r9s bac in 2004 reports is shooting 2 inch groups at 25 yards with 124 gdhp..yet here on this site I see people reporting much worse and lots of stoppages...
does not sound that happy for a beturhide pistol.  Was the report a fluke or exaggeration or is such accuracy possible?
and at what distances are people experiencing the keyholing of bullets downrange?  thanks.

Offline prydwen

Re: accuracy & keyholing
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 07:13:19 AM »
by-the-way the article referred to is...
American Handgunner Oct 04, Roy Huntington.

find at:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_mOBTT/is_
28,ai_n6123162/pg_2

think that'll get you to the article anyway...and it was
2.5" at 25 yards...real or not in actual experience of you
rhorbaugh shooters?

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 10:05:25 AM »
Hi prydwen,

Welcome to the forum.

I found the R9S to be a great pistol which met all my high expectations.

It is a special, finely crafted pistol with very close tolerances, and requires more attention than an ordinary pistol.  If cleaned and oiled occasionally, it should be utterly reliable.

The R9 has a special mission of up-close personal defense.  Most proud owners know it was not intended for high-volume range shooting.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 12:16:01 PM »
prydwyn:

First of all, welcome to the Forum.

As for your question, you probably know that Roy Huntington is the Editor of American Handgunner and the Editorial Director of Guns Magazine.  He took those positions after a long career in law enforcement and is known not only for zero tolerance of "BS" but also for great skill with a handgun.  When he reports getting 2.5" groups at 25 yards with one of the R9s, you can be certain that he got 2.5" groups at 25 yards.

I'm not that good (my groups with the Rohrbaugh are usually around 4" to 6" at 25 yards), but my early-edition R9 (No. 132) has shown no vices.

Again, welcome aboard.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:30:32 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 12:48:44 PM »
I also have the highest admiration for Roy and rely on his articles.

I remember sending him an email complaining about coarse language used by Mr. Clint Smith.  I was getting ready to cancel my subscription and wanted to voice an opinion.  That magazine goes out to refined ladies and gentlemen (myself excluded) who read to enjoy firearms, but not crude words.

Roy was very gracious and replyed to the email.  He stuck up for Mr. Smith and explained his reasons.  Basically, he said that all the angry readers needed to lighten up.

I still didn't like it one bit, but stayed on board mainly because of Roy and the personal attention he gave to a single reader.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 02:12:01 PM by Michigunner »

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 07:27:43 PM »
I also have the highest admiration for Roy and rely on his articles.

I remember sending him an email complaining about coarse language used by Mr. Clint Smith.  I was getting ready to cancel my subscription and wanted to voice an opinion.  That magazine goes out to refined ladies and gentlemen (myself excluded) who read to enjoy firearms, but not crude words.

Bill

Off topic, but I agree. There is NO excuse for crude language in a firearms publication.

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline prydwen

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 12:35:18 AM »
thanks all...answers my question well.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 01:31:54 AM »
pry - welcome from me too.

Keyholing (tumbling) is something we were worried about early on - and it is a possibility.

I put a page up on my FAQ site (link in my sig line) which refers to that and includes an explanation.  The occasional slight tumbler does not worry me at all :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline prydwen

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 11:17:51 AM »
great bunch of information there, thanks.
answers ALL of my questions.  (well not
the one about the cosmic forces and such) but
MANY of my questions anyway!