Author Topic: Cogan modified R9  (Read 5375 times)

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
Cogan modified R9
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:03:56 PM »
Someone recently sent me pics of of Cogan modified R9 with chrome slide and frame, front and rear frame hand checkered, ported, '8 ball' style black dot sights, plus I don't remember what else. I am sure others on here would enjoy seeing it it as much as I did.

One of the MANY meds I take is Donepezil, that is for memory loss. So sadly I don't remember who the owner is. IF it is you I am sure others would enjoy seeing it as much as I did. Thanks. 

kevinqjhps
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Cogan modified R9
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 07:18:50 PM »
I believe we had one of those come through our shop for warrantee repair once. Nice work by Cogan, but the porting does nothing in the way of curbing anything. The ports actually made the gun jam with loss of pressure, so we installed a fresh stock barrel and slide and the  gun functioned fine again. Just saying.............
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 08:42:07 PM »
Kevin

I sent you the pictures of the Cogan as that was the gun I wanted the VZ grips for.

Here is a thread from a while back that I added to when I did some chronographing to compare the velocities of the ported gun versus a standard R9.  I shot the two guns on the same day with ammo from the same boxes.  The standard R9 was the gun that had a new barrel installed by Williams to replace the old defective one.  It surprised me but the velocities were the same. 

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=6850.msg91121#msg91121

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 08:51:04 PM »
I believe we had one of those come through our shop for warrantee repair once. Nice work by Cogan, but the porting does nothing in the way of curbing anything. The ports actually made the gun jam with loss of pressure, so we installed a fresh stock barrel and slide and the  gun functioned fine again. Just saying.............

Hi Eric,

Don't know ANYTHING about it but it did look like it had everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink . To a R9 fan it was a thing of total beauty. Had to have a 'tidy' sum tied up in it, BUT in my opinion worth every penny........except the porting.  ::) ::) ::)
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 08:56:26 PM »
I now have new wallpaper. Thanks Bob. That is nicest I have ever seen. Anyone top it? :o :o :o :o
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 02:08:58 AM »
I now have new wallpaper. Thanks Bob. That is nicest I have ever seen. Anyone top it? :o :o :o :o
soon.  🤘🏻😉

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »

Hi Eric,

Don't know ANYTHING about it but it did look like it had everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink . To a R9 fan it was a thing of total beauty. Had to have a 'tidy' sum tied up in it, BUT in my opinion worth every penny........except the porting.  ::) ::) ::)

Oh yeah, no doubt a great looking gun, but porting a short barrel, to me, is not the way to go. But what do I know......  lol
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 09:32:02 PM »
You know a lot.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:52:40 PM »
Hey, I bought the gun as it is.  I probably would not port one either.

That said, the porting works quite well, it really took the "snap" out of the 124 grain Gold Dots.  I would guess 20 to 30% reduction in recoil, just a guess.  I am still curious on the velocity reduction.  I was shocked at the numbers I got compared with the standard R9.  Cogan says it is under 10%. 

I could not tell any noise difference out side.  Cogan again says it is minimal when you are porting any gun with a 3" barrel anyway.

The checkering on the front strap, back strap, and the trigger guard is really a big plus and makes the gun look better also.

I like the Dotted Sights and again, it makes the gun look more 'finished'.

The porting on this R9 did nothing to affect the functioning, it shoots great.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:20:09 PM by MRC »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 06:48:37 PM »
You know a lot.

lol ~ Thanks tracker.