Author Topic: I just ordered the Apache Ankle Rig...  (Read 4761 times)

Offline STEPHEN_D

I just ordered the Apache Ankle Rig...
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:05:27 PM »
I just orderd the Apache Ankle Rig from the Rohrbaugh store.  My complaint with this item is that the R9 is too heavy for the ankle holster without a support strap.  It either has to be strapped on super tight which becomes uncomfortable within 5 minutes, or it slips down and stabs the top of my foot when I walk.  I called Maria at Rohrbaugh and they do not stock the support strap.  She suggested that I contact DeSantis directly, which manufacturers this item.  I e-mailed them and they sent me a link to purchase the support strap which is an additional $15 plus $8.50 shipping/handling.  

I am wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue, and your advice on how I should proceeed.  (Please no "ankle holsters are all worthless")  

Thank you,
STEPHEN D

Offline RickP

• Expert
Re: I just ordered the Apache Ankle Rig...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:34:18 PM »
I have the ankle holster also, though I haven't worn it out yet as I'm still waiting for my CCW. Seems OK around the house though. I'm glad to know there is a support strap available if I have the same problem.

Rick

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:34:51 PM »
Before you order the strap try wearng two socks on.  One between the gun and foot and the other over the gun.  I have a galco that I use with a LCP and tried it a couple days with my R9 and had no problems using two socks.
Corey

PS I do wear boots daily and the muzzle rest just inside the top of the boot and that might be helping me also.

Offline rod m1

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 09:38:29 PM »
Please keep use posted on your findings.

Offline STEPHEN_D

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 11:51:34 PM »
I tried the double sock thing.  It does help somewhat hold the pistol in place, however I still need to velcro the ankle holster on tight enough that it doesn't slide down.  This was not comfortable very long, and even with my desk job I could not tolerate it past lunch.  

I've already taken the initial hit for the ankle hoster, so it's either quit now or invest another chunk and try the support strap.  I will probably try the strap, if nothing more than to let the group know if it works or not.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 11:57:01 PM »
Let us know.  I guess mine worked better because it could not go down.  The boot top limmited the muzzle from going any lower.

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 11:59:02 AM »
CCW finally arrived and am using the ankle rig today. So far it dosen't bother me. Hope I can say the same thing at the end of the day.

Rick

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 05:39:50 PM »
CCW finally arrived and am using the ankle rig today. So far it dosen't bother me. Hope I can say the same thing at the end of the day.

Rick

Rick:

Good luck with the ankle rig. I own one but haven't learned to like it much. I wish I did. It makes a lot of sense for CCW.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 09:29:42 PM »
OK, Ankle rig report.

Put it on about 8:00AM took it off when I got home 7:40PM. Overall I am pleased with it. I positioned it with the sheepskin just above my anklebone, and it stayed put all day. When sitting for a time, especially this afternoon, I became very aware of it, but a little walk I guess moved some blood around and it was fine. The holster kept the pup steady on my ankle, not much movement at all. Gonna do it again tomorrow.

Rick

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 10:15:13 PM »
Glad to hear its working for you!  Thanks for the report.  Is the sheepskin soft?

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »
Glad to hear its working for you!  Thanks for the report.  Is the sheepskin soft?

I guess sheepskin is the wrong term. Its fleece that is under the gun cushioning it against your leg.

Rick

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 08:46:56 PM »
My ankle rig was hard on my ankle bone at first.  My wife sewed in a piece of real sheep skin to pad it.  It works well now.  Ankle carry take a long time to get used to.  Drives me crazy so I never carry there any more.

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 04:20:40 PM »
I've worn the Apache ankle rig for 5 days now and it works great for me. I almost forgrt its there. A heavy sock helps.

Rick

On edit: forgrt=forget :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 04:21:58 PM by RickP »

Offline STEPHEN_D

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 02:52:21 PM »
I received my support strap Monday.  I'm now on my 2nd day in a row wearing it with no issues.  I wear dress pants to work with thin dress socks and it is noticeable but not uncomfortable at all.  So far, I feel like this is the perfect solution for me for everyday carry.  

STEPHEN D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:53:30 PM by STEPHEN_D »

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 04:49:19 PM »
Good deal.  Glad to hear it.