Author Topic: all stainless version  (Read 33510 times)

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
Re: all stainless version
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 02:05:27 AM »
I would like nothing more than to see an all stainless version of the Rohrbaugh. The only reason I haven't bought one, is because I don't really like aluminum alloy frames. I would buy an all stainless Rohrbaugh R9s in a heartbeat. I pocket carry a Kahr MK9 and a spare 7 round clip weakside daily, so I hardly imagine how the tiny bit of weight increase of a fully stainless Rohrbaugh would not be a good thing. And yes, I would like to be able to shoot +P.

If it was all stainless you could shoot +P 124gr Gold Dots or +P 124gr. Rangers, that would also be so sweet.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 02:07:37 AM by PsychoSword »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 04:34:41 PM »
Welcome PS :) - I too would consider a stainless as I am another who would not object to the weight increase.  

As said before tho - ain't gonna happen I doubt - not in a long time if ever.  I do accept the std pressure limitation - +P ain't really that much more ''up there'' plus, once broke in I regard my R9 as carry a lot, shoot a little (relatively).
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 04:58:16 PM »
Per my chrono, in shorter barrels such as the Rohrbaugh - there is no appreciable difference in speed of the bullet from standard to +p and ++p and +p+.

There is however, a HUGE difference in the size and brightness of muzzle flash!!!!  The standard is therefore better anyway IMHO. ;D
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 06:38:35 PM »
PsychoSword, I guess you are coming from the position that stainless steel would be stronger than an alloy frame. However, most new guns with alloy frames will take thousands of rounds of use without any problem. Eric Rohrbaugh has over 5,000 rounds thru his R9.  The only thing one gets with +P ammo in a little gun is more flash and recoil.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2005, 12:14:02 AM »
I would like nothing more than to see an all stainless version of the Rohrbaugh. The only reason I haven't bought one, is because I don't really like aluminum alloy frames. I would buy an all stainless Rohrbaugh R9s in a heartbeat. I pocket carry a Kahr MK9 and a spare 7 round clip weakside daily, so I hardly imagine how the tiny bit of weight increase of a fully stainless Rohrbaugh would not be a good thing. And yes, I would like to be able to shoot +P.

If it was all stainless you could shoot +P 124gr Gold Dots or +P 124gr. Rangers, that would also be so sweet.

PsychoSword..
         Welcome to the board.. :)
The wt. difference would probably not be a problem..I just think that out of the Pup that "standard" 9mm is the way to go!!  ;)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005, 10:58:06 PM »
PS:

Welsome to the Forum.  

Although in most other matters I am a "stainless steel" advocate, with regard to the Rohrbaugh I agree with the views expressed just above by Chris, Jody, Tom, and Brenden.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2005, 02:18:26 AM »
I understand where you guys are coming from. It's more my personal prejudice against anything other than stainless or carbon steel more than anything. That's just me, I'd rather have a stainless frame shooting standard pressure than an aluminum one.

Regarding the +P out of a short barrel, the chrono numbers I've seen myself from my Kahr MK9's 3" barrel will dispute what has been said in this thread. There is definately still a difference between standard pressure, +P, NATO and +P+ that I have verified myself.

Now, regarding the Rohrbaugh, for some reason the velocity numbers I've seen online are less than what I've seen and personally chrono'd from my Kahr. I don't know if perhaps +P would just be less of a benefit in a Rohrbaugh, than other guns will similiar barrel lengths. That may be so. I would be fairly happy shooting standard pressure loads out of a stainless steel framed Rohrbaugh, but I would prefer the +P capability.

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 12:38:24 PM »
Given that my EDC is a 1911/.45 of one form or another, and the R9 is my BUG, I personally prefer the gun as-is.  An all-steel 1911 is heavy enough.  I guess all stainless would be good if it was your primary carry, though.  The only time my R9 is my primary is if I have to run to the store and I don't want to suit up with the "bat belt".

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 01:03:30 PM »
I, too, like the weight of the current R9, and wouldn't want to lug around another 4 to 6 ounces in a pocket pistol.

But I am concerned a bit with the wear my gun and others are showing in the frame area above the takedown pin.  I wonder if Rohrbaugh could design a pair of 4140 or 4340 steel inserts for the barrel to ride against? The weight increase would be negligible, and frame machining wouldn't greatly affected.  If I still had access to a machine shop, I'd probably be cutting metal...

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 04:16:22 PM »
I have the same wear pattern.  I will continue to monitor it.  Currently, I lube the gun with Militec oil everywhere and Protec grease (same as Wilson Ultima Lube) on the high wear points.  I have a feeling that the wear will proceed to a point, and then stop.  I don't think that it's that big a deal right now, as I don't plan on putting much ammo through the piece, but that said, I don't want the gun to beat itself to death, either.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 09:25:08 PM »
[size=13]I have a feeling that the wear will proceed to a point, and then stop.[/size]

My thinking exactly.  I have not inspected Eric's ''old faithful'' - his demo R9 with in excess of 5,000 rounds thru it but he told me that was still in great shape.

I think the process is self limiting and the area that gets a bit marred is IMO of no major structural significance regarding compromizing the gun's function.

If tho I saw major deterioration of something like the slide/frame rails, then I might be concerned. ;)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2005, 05:51:09 PM »
Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P designed for short barrels.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=4&s2=3

Are some of you guys still dead set against choice now?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 05:53:35 PM by PsychoSword »

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2005, 05:53:11 PM »
Per my chrono, in shorter barrels such as the Rohrbaugh - there is no appreciable difference in speed of the bullet from standard to +p and ++p and +p+.

There is however, a HUGE difference in the size and brightness of muzzle flash!!!!  The standard is therefore better anyway IMHO. ;D

My experience has been the opposite. You know people used to make the same arguement against .380 vs. 9mm in short barreled guns. You still hear it occasionally.

Offline IDM

• Expert
  • What you can't see can hurt you!! Predator UAV
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 03:49:19 PM »
Well call me crazy but Im working on getting a model of the frame into my computer now. Ill see what it might take to make a stainless one. Ill try it in alu first to get my tooling just right. It may be a long project. Im just a one man shop with little resources. But if Some of you guys would buy my grips I may find some more time and money to start on this new project!!lol ;D
ill post a pic or 2 later.
Bryce
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 03:51:47 PM by IDM »
Bryce Proctor
Owner IDM llc
Predator and Predator B  Mfg. Engineer

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2007, 06:08:15 PM »
Bryce,

You constantly amaze me.  I admire anyone contemplating the task you are considering.

One word of WARNING.  Before you start cranking out frames you had better check in to the proper license from the BATF.

Always cover your a**.  The gubmint is not there to help you.

And by the way.  IF you can produce a stainless frame for the R9 we will probably do some more business.  But give the license thing some thought.  If you make frames they will have to be treated as a regular handgun.  All shipping will have to go through an FFL to the purchaser.  Paperwork will be the same as buying a handgun.

You CAN make a frame for YOURSELF and it is completly legal so you can work on a prototype with no worries.  The safe thing to do is to place your SS# on the frame.  That is not a requirememt but have heard from others who have made their own rifles that it is the safe thing to do.  It will be hard to explain to a Police Officer who can't possibly know all the in and outs of guns why there are no numbers on the gun you are carrying.  If you make 3 or 4 prototypes I would destroy all but one to be on the safe side.

I don't want anything bad to happen to ya buddy.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 06:23:27 PM by riffraff »
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member