Author Topic: A general update.  (Read 2764 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
A general update.
« on: March 27, 2005, 05:55:38 PM »
Eric very kindly took time to call me earlier today.  I have a fluey cold and feel really rough -  hardly in talking mood but - Eric, I can always make time for Eric. :)

Let me bring you up to speed following our chat - best as I can remember.

First and foremost - Eric needs a rest, and badly.!  How many times have I and others referred to ''not knowing how he manages''.  Well - his noble extremes have ultimately bitten back - he is in burn-out.  I am not surprised, one bit... and for him to admit it, I know darned well he is hurting.

He is effectively out of the factory for a good while, tho still involved and very much in touch regarding QC .. a major importance to him as I think we know.  He hopes to have about a month or so off - within which as well as staying in touch with Karl and Co - will be doing some travelling and actually managing some of that to be vacation time (yeah - some will still be business!).  The NRA annual convention in Houston will, since the announcement of the award, of course going to be on the agenda - as is also he hopes a visit to see Bob Jensen (Blackhawk) - Bob and Martha have been on his list for some time now.  It was JeffOTMG who had the first ever R9 - followed by which was Bob's - the first actual Rohrbaugh public sale of the gun... S/N IIRC 102.

Eric is wanting to present to Bob the special R9 that has been made for him - and whilst knowing that Bob's shooting days are probably over, wants that gun, or maybe even his original instead - be able to be sold on - and so yield some much needed funds for them - they have long ago about exhausted their savings dealing with Bob's medical bills.  Martha is still I guess the devoted wife/carer and they are still no doubt trying to manage on fresh air and little more.  BTW - a search over on the High Road will yield probably the first major thread about the R9 - before Bob (Blackhawk) suffered his terrible stroke.... in fact have just looked and - this appears to be the link .. do go read.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=54929

Eric would also I think like folks to know that he will not be as available for phone and emails as has been the case  - not because he does not want to but - simply because he feels he has to devote more time to the gun itself.  His importance placed on QC is but one aspect he will not see slipping, amongst many others, which include ideas for the future of the Company.  I think many of us must admit - we have become spoiled (rotten) by Eric's amazing attention to detail, and us!  Nice as it might be to have that degree of attention continue, in realistic terms I can see it just cannot be done.  It is hoped that Maria can and will deal with most contacts up front - one of the team then of course taking something up as and when needed.  Customer care is in no way to be reduced one bit.

I checked also re the price increase which Eric says is official - as from 31st March there is an increase of 13%.  Even that is actually still hardly going to allow for a break-even.  All this time the sales returns have hardly been adequate.  The list of costs is longer than most folks would imagine.

Think firstly of the astronomic R&D costs incurred over the years - the huge investment in machinery and tooling.  Include also the Fed 10% tax which has always eaten deep into any chance of profit for the Company.  There is also, something most will not immediately think of - annual indemnity insurance.  I didn't press Eric for a figure and neither would I but - let's just say it could well be enough to buy two very nice cars, if I read him right!!  While the new factory will permit production to gear up well over the months - this is again yet another extra expense incurred. So many others too  are hidden, not to mention material costs - which also rarely go down, just up.

I get the feeling that in earlier times, it might have been much more the case that the R9 would have been a much higher priced gun anways - a top-end, luxury item, albeit with a limited niche market.  Perhaps in the $2k plus category. It still serves a niche market but that market is growing - not yet however enough to be paying all the bills.  The price increase is not in any way profiteering - it is both expedient and necessary for survival - it's that simple IMO.

Ok - enough rambling - but hopefully this will give folks a feel for where things are at.  So many know Eric that I feel it is good to share ''family'' info - because we are IMO somewhat of a family, those who own or will soon own an R9.  I shall hope Eric gets the much needed chance to chill out for a few weeks and get himself back on top - I think it was Karl who told him ''enough'' - but this time Eric actually agreed!

Take care Eric ... you have many, many friends.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: A general update.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 06:07:56 PM »
Thank you, Chris, for the update.  And all the best to Eric.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 11:25:21 PM »
Thank's very much Chris.  I feel Eric should take all the time he needs.  I'm surprised he has perservered this long..  My best wishes...  Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 08:37:45 PM »
Eric, Take care of yourself. You and your wife have fun taking time off, taking care of things that need doing and traveling. After the NRA meetings and show in Houston is over give me a call when you get together with the Divas!! Thanks again for all your help. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 10:13:24 PM »
Thanks for the update Chris.  If anyone has ever earned time off, it's Eric.  Hope you are both feeling better!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 04:19:47 PM »
Had a chat today with Karl.  He and I commiserated over this darned flu thing - he said he felt like death last week.!  My chest feels like Mike Tyson has been practicing his punches! ;D

He has said he will send me a CD soon - this will give some pricing info in more detail probably and, he is sending at my request, a copy of the video some of you may have watched on ShotShowTV a while back.

He also mentioned that he has or will have, some new, extra  footage of rapid fire.  I shall hope to place these vids on one of my servers and make them available, as the shotshow site was just streaming - I could not capture it.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 06:02:47 PM »
Chris,
Great update and thanks... ;D
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe