Author Topic: Chambering Issues....  (Read 3399 times)

Offline jarich42

Chambering Issues....
« on: March 24, 2005, 11:20:48 AM »
There is a post in the water cooler section about a new R9 with FTF problems. I am waiting on my R9 to arrive and certainly hope this is not the norm for this gun. Before deciding on the R9 in did a lot of research and chose the R9 because of its quality. I realize this is a relatively new gun in the market place but while researching all of the press (legitimate press) was very positive and I did not think FTF issues (reliability when it counts) was going to be an issue. The other pistols that I was considering all had quality or reliability issues and I thought that spending the extra money and getting a better product would alleviate these concerns.
Has anyone else had any reliablity issues with their R9?

Offline jarcher

• Master
Re: Chambering Issues....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 03:36:28 PM »
You can see my posting here:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1111627730

I am not giving up yet though.  Where is the thread you mentioned?  I could not locate it in the water cooler section...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 03:37:02 PM by jarcher »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 04:50:16 PM »
To my knowledge, all of the FTF issues the factory is aware of have been discussed on this board.

Utlimately, only one went "unresolved" that I know of -- and the exact nature of the failures is the subject of some debate.

The problem with Internet discussion forums is that problems get blown way out of proportion.  There will be one thread about one gun and people assume the worst.  People don't log on every day to report they are happy with their gun -- but they sure log on to complaint about them. You know the drill -- Glock .40s blow up, Kahrs have magazine disconnect failures, Kimbers have MIM part failures, Kel-Tecs are kit guns that need gunsmithing to function properly, etc.

The R-9 is one of the highest, if not the highest, quality production gun available, supported by exemplary customer service.  I suppose that individual guns may have a problem on occassion -- but its rare.  Each gun that leave the factory is test fired by either Eric or Karl.

I responded to the thread in question too -- as you will see.  The best way to avoid problems is to use the recommended ammo -- which is top quality stuff.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 05:07:40 PM »
The R-9 is one of the highest, if not the highest, quality production gun available, supported by exemplary customer service.  I suppose that individual guns may have a problem on occassion -- but its rare.  Each gun that leave the factory is test fired by either Eric or Karl.

This is why I am not too concerned. I admit I am annoyed, but not terribly concerned.  I expect this issue with my pistol will get resolved in short order.  I just hope I don;t have to spring for shipping back to Long Island.

I responded to the thread in question too -- as you will see.  The best way to avoid problems is to use the recommended ammo -- which is top quality stuff.

I am going to try that as soon as I can scare some up.  Still, I think a high quality pistol should eat any good quality ammo.  Certianally Winchester RA9T and American Eagle is high quality ammo.  My concern is getting into a Seecamp type situation.  That pistol was designed around the Winchester Silvertip.  It worked great for years, but then Winchester changed the silvertip.  

But I don't want to jump to any conclusions.  I'll talk to Eric or whoever calls back and see what they say.  I'm confident a resolution is fourthcoming.

Offline glazier

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 12:14:52 AM »
Well, I've ordered my R-9 and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.  By all reports, the R-9 seems like the perfect carry package I've been looking for!  I've read the posts.. GDHP, proper lube, etc., etc..  I give the benefit of the doubt to every thing and every one. Hovever, I insist that any firearm that I carry works each and every time without exception.  So far only one handgun has met my expectations.... Let's hope the Rohrbaugh R9 is the next one!    :-/
Measure Twice...CUT Once!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 04:36:24 PM »
glazier - welcome here :)

I hope your wait will not be too long.  Do tho judge the reliability factor by choice of best ammo for the gun.  I do know with either of mine, some ammo will most definitely have potential for occasional malfunctions.

The GD's however - no problem and with those on board I know the pup will perform when asked.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 05:48:03 PM »
My 115gr GDHP arrived today.  If I am very lucky, I'll get to try it out tonight, but most likely it won't be for a while.  :'(

I'll post another update after then.

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 08:48:47 PM »
I think you will be happy with the G.D. Jarcher.  I ordered a bunch from Ammo Man and have had no problems with the round nor the gun..  Let us know when you get a chance to try them out... ;)   Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 12:03:28 AM »
Jarcher, hopefully you won't have any problems with the Gold Dots. I fired over 600 rounds through my R9S with NO failures of any kind. I had my first failure last week at somewhere around round 700. It was with a Gold Dot, but I think I limp wristed it. I had been firing several other guns and took my R9s out of my pocket just to shoot the mag and replace ammo. My hand was already sore and tired from shooting other guns, and 3rd round failed to feed. Im sure you do this already, but make sure you provide good, solid, locked wrist hold when firing. Good luck!

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 02:25:50 AM »
Hi All...

I updated the thread about my first range trip with my experience from the second range trip:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1111627730;start=15

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 12:41:17 PM »
wow Jarcher, just read your linked posting....if you notice in my above post, the only failure I have had so far was on third round also. Interesting coincidence.