Author Topic: Emailing pictures as attachments  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Emailing pictures as attachments
« on: November 15, 2005, 02:13:39 PM »
I've noticed some of my friends use their photo editors to email pictures.  Sometimes, the interface can be confusing.  

Here is another procedure which is available.

I prepare an ordinary email using Outlook.  Of course, some folks use Outlook Express.

Then, you might prefer to say Insert File, rather than Insert Picture.  File makes an attachment, and Picture puts it in the email body.  Your recipient will find it easier to process an attachment.

The only confusion is determining where the picture resides.

Some years ago, it was in a plain old folder (directory) which you created.  Now Microsoft has helped us develop another method.

First, please recognize there may be multiple users logging onto your computer.

Get the Desktop and open My Computer
Open  the C: drive
Open Documents & Settings
Open the User containing the desired pictures
Open My Documents
Open My Pictures
At the top, select View and choose Thumbnails.
Select the pictures you wish to email.  Sometimes you can hold the <CNTL> key, and go around selecting individual items to insert.  

That's all there is to it.  That way, You wont have to bother with the Picture program.

Bill
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 02:20:53 PM by Michigunner »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Emailing pictures as attachments
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 03:52:41 PM »
Bill,

I work a bit differently, partly because I have been using a puter for so many years.  ''My whatever'' folders have zero value to me and I hate them!!  I keep all folders on other drives or partitions, prefering to keep 'C' drive all but dedictaed to system - I have altogether at max, about 25 named drives!!!   You mention emailing as attachments so I assume you mean exactly that, as against posting pics here.

I have used for years a text (ASCII) only email client ''Forté Agent" - it safeguards me from a lot of potential prob's that can come from html clients like Outlook.  If I want to attach any file I just click on an ''attach'' button and then a mini explorer box opens so I can drill down to file source and select.

I process any pics I have in an image app' - I use Micrografx Picture Publisher - it's been in use for years too but is similar to PhotoShop, and still does all I need.  So, tweaks and resizing and compression are all done there and I finish up with my (usually reduced size) pic available in a folder.

For web use I keep a lot of pics on one of my servers - in fact sometimes sending somebody a link so they can retrieve pic that way too.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 04:22:07 PM »
Sounds good, Chris.  I neglected to mention the all-important topic of size reduction for emailing.

I have just met lots of people who are busy making money and they don't have much time for playing with computers.  No offense to you and me, of course.   :)

Sometimes it is not clear to folks about the organization of the file system, beginning with My Computer and proceding down.

I have also always arranged my own folders and tried to exercise control.  Lately, I'm starting to flow along with Microsoft with their My Documents and My Pictures.

Soon, we should have a talking head on the screen and it will bring us to full productive use of the facilities.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 06:30:13 PM »
[size=13] we should have a talking head on the screen[/size]

No - please no --- ;D ;D  Not that!!!

I am too old school Bill to want such stuff - I still work seemingly at a way lower level than many.  If I mention paths, Win Explorer, file extensions - many things - I get blank looks.  if it ain't on someone's desktop - they seem clueless.:).  As for system files - ''what are those?" LOL.

My XP Pro is tailored so it looks just like my dear ol' Win2k ......... but when I am unlucky enough to have to try and use an un tweaked puter with XP - I groan at all the top level crap!:)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.