Author Topic: Loving my new Kimber Solo... 1700 rounds and counting.  (Read 64484 times)

Offline Ljutic

• Master
Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo + Range Report on it
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 12:56:36 PM »
Great to hear.  Not to Hyjack your solo thread, but has anyone shot the Solo and Boberg xr9s? I'm curious how they compare back to back from a user.

Personally, I'd take the Boberg over the Solo because I can shoot it better.  You can also get reasonable terminal performance with standard pressure ammunition due to the longer barrel.  Recoil is a personal thing, but I feel like I could run Federal HST 124 +P through a Boberg all day long without experiencing recoil fatigue.  I never shoot more than a box of 50 on a range trip due to the expense involved.

Solo pocket carries easier in similar Remora pocket holsters.

Good looks don't get it done, but it's difficult not to feel a teeny bit of pride of ownership when you stuff this in your pocket.

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:01 PM »
This has nothing to do with the Boberg, but the solo rather...

Now up to 487 rounds with only one failure to extract when I used cheap range ammo in 115 gr instead of recommended ammo.

Wow!!

Only cleaned the gun twice so far.

Wow!!

Accurate as can be with a GREAT site pic.

Wow!!

No metallic dusting after firing it.

Wow!!

Doesn't beat my hand to pieces even after 150 rounds today.

Wow!!

$675

Wow!!

A whopping 1/2" overall length longer than R9.

Fair trade off.

Night sights and Crimson Trace offered.

Wow!!

+P rated.

Wow!!

Haven't tightened grip screws yet.

Wow!!

Haven't read a blog once to figure out how to shoot it successfully.

Wow!!

Shoots great left handed with one hand and intentionally limp wristing it.

Wow!!

No broken pieces or ANY visible wear after 487 rounds.

Wow!!

Well it's not as good of a pistol as the R9 as you could figure, but it's been pretty impressive so far.

If you don't have one you may want to get one bros.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:36:47 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 09:33:05 PM »
First of all, I wanted a pistol / cartridge combination that would penetrate at least 12" of ballistic gelatin in the IWBA 4 denim protocol.

I also wanted a light weight pistol that disappeared into my front pocket.

I also wanted something that was manageable to fire.

There are some (not many) 380 cartridges now that will do that, but when I bought the R9 I wasn't aware of any.  Everything that I'd seen at the time had 380 JHPs stopping around 10"-11" and FMJs zipping out the back of 18" blocks of gelatin.

.40 S&W "pocket" pistols weren't that pocketable, IMO.   You can only make a .40 S&W so small and so light.

The 9mm seemed to be the cartridge that could be shot out of a 14 ounce 5 1/4" package and the Rohrbaugh seemed to be the smallest lightestt 9mm pistol that would fire the 9mm cartridge reliably.  Mine has been 100% with 12gr & 147gr Gold Dots, 124gr & 147gr Lawman TMJ, and 147gr Ranger "T" Series RA9T.

Here are some ammo tests of what you can expect from some standard pressure ammo out of the R9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3VfWkWMzOI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lGqdMdbir0&list=PLgNSGOEQko_M90AMdRCDMgd-w4Yozc27i

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKE4VKPRFTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKE4VKPRFTQ

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 11:54:40 AM »
Ljutic said

"Personally, I'd take the Boberg over the Solo because I can shoot it better.  You can also get reasonable terminal performance with standard pressure ammunition due to the longer barrel.  Recoil is a personal thing, but I feel like I could run Federal HST 124 +P through a Boberg all day long without experiencing recoil fatigue.  I never shoot more than a box of 50 on a range trip due to the expense involved."

I have to say that you nailed it when you said to shoot what you shoot best.  The difference for me between the Solo, PM9, and the Boberg as far as accuracy is very slight with the Boberg probably winning.  The Solo seems to point more naturally for me and the more conventional operation suits me better

One thing I do not like about the Solo is the ambidextrous magazine release, but it has never caused me any trouble.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 11:46:14 PM »
Went to the range today and did a bit of experimenting with the solo.

I had a box of Italian brass max Tula 115 gr I wanted to run since the steel is dirty and had a very hard Berdan primer. I wanted the euro ammo because Mr Rohrbaugh told me it was hotter than typical range ammo. He said not to run em in the R9. Well it ran all 50 with no problem.

Also ran 7 rem golden saber 124 +P

And 6 more gold dot.

That make 67 today and  a flawless 554 rounds to date. You may note that I had 2 FTE that was with the 115 gr American Eagle. I'm not holding that against the Solo though. Seemed ammo related for sure.

Seems to fire good warm ammo just fine regardless of the grains.

I've ordered a 500 box of 124 gr Winchester NATO that are reportedly hotter than standard range ammo. I'm going for 1000. Then break in the new spring and away we go.

Oh I did clean it today and after about 250-300 (or so) it had a small trace of metallic dusting, but way milder than R9. Rails look better on the Kimber (500+ rounds vs 350+? On the R9)

There's more coming soon I hope.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:27:44 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 07:52:07 PM »
Make that another 50 rounds of Speer lawman 124 today

That makes 604

I did experience one malfunction today.

Although they all fed and ejected wonderfully during normal operations within all mags; when I was feeding a second mag with the slide held open it failed to feed up the next round properly.

Don't know what that was all about, but it was the first malfunction of this variety to date. Hope its the last.

This little gun is a beast.

Also shot the Seecamp 380. WOW! Anyone want to buy a little .380 : )?

That thing hurts so bad every time you pull the trigger lol. Ouch! I've got about 100 rounds of so through it in the year I've had it, but there is no getting used to it. It just hurts. Lol.

In final, the solo just shoots so accurately I am amazed for such a small pistol. Excellent.

And oh LJutic, I do NOW carry 124 gr +p golden sabers. Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:11:42 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 11:16:34 PM »
Added 50 more Speer lawman to the round count today.

654 rounds with only 2 FTE when using cheap American eagle 115 gr

And only one FTF when changing mags. Still haven't figured that deal out. Hope to not see it again : )
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:24:13 AM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 11:20:21 PM »
Bought some more of the Tula Brass Maxx today that I will look forward to running tomorrow on some training in the rain :) hope to feed the 96 rounds through it and put it up to 750 with only the 2 FTE out of the AE 115 and one FTF from the mag change.

I am ready to call this thing good. Ok I was honestly ready 150 rounds ago, BUT it has been a dream to get familiarized with and do some defensive training with.

I will update tomorrow for anyone who cares.

...crickets

Lol.

John Stuart Mill

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2014, 08:22:35 AM »

I will update tomorrow for anyone who cares.

...crickets

Josh,

Glad to hear you like the Solo. I have no doubt that when things come back online with Rohrbaugh they will get your gun sorted and you will have two great pocket guns.

Best,
Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 08:43:15 AM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I believe you are correct. It may take a long time due to the timing and all, but I believe if they are going to keep the name alive it will be made right and I'm excited to GRD (that means get er done).

I really love the gun conceptually. And it sounds like it is a platform that can go beyond conceptually if it can be tweaked in such a way as to make it reliable. I believe it will happen. Just need patience. That's where the Solo comes into play. I needed something to fill the gap left behind by the absence of the R9. It actually does more with its extra size and weight than the R9 can do, BUT I still want my R9 back in the lineup because it is smaller and lighter for pocket carry : )

Oh the troubles of living in America in 2014. We sure can get spoiled with all of the technology and advancements. I'm sure people would have loved to have something 1/2 as nice in twice the size of either gun 50 years ago.

Anyway I have not lost my zeal nor hope for wanting to love my R9 : )

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »
Since I know y'all are waiting with 'bated breath I thought I would add this post.

I ran another 50 rounds of 115 Tula Brass Maxx and 50 rounds of 124 lawman through it today. I had 2 Failures to fire. Looked like light strikes or hard primers. I blame the Tula cheap ammo since the 50 lawman were as always perfect

Make the 750 rounds now with only 2 FTE out of cheap 115 Amer Eagle and now 2 Failure to Fire out of cheap Tula 115 gr.

Shoots one hole still from 7 paces.

Still impressed.

Can't wait for the new shop to open : )

John Stuart Mill

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 07:39:45 PM »
What's really ironic here is the fact that I've heard Kimber had lots of QC problems and was discouraged to purchase one from a couple guys I know and threads I've read. 

Guess you really do hear about everything on the internet. 

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2014, 12:32:28 AM »
I heard they had some issues with the early models; however according to MRC most of the problems came from people running the wrong kind of ammo. The gun calls for 124 or heavier PREMIUM ammo.

When I have ran PREMIUM ammo it's been 100% (even 115 gr WST)

Well it looks as though they have it figured out.

I went ahead and sprung for the crimson trace grips for it and got those on tonight, so I guess I'll have to try to fire it some more tomorrow.

Also, I am noticing the right safety switch has gotten a wiggle loose on the post.

I'm certain the gun would function even if it fell off of the post, but I'll bet she will be heading back to the factory soon for a fix.

I sure wish XS Big Dot made some sights for it. I REALLY like those sights on my G27.

Anyone else have experience with them? VERY quick sight acquisition!

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »
Add 50 more so we are now up to 800 rounds. I had a couple more failures to ignite today with the range ammo (federal I think). It was 115 and cycled great, but they must use a harder primer. Got the laser sighted in and it's pinging steel in rapid fashion.

Gun looks very solid and basically sturdy on the inside in spite of the slight wiggle to the right safety. Very well built gun.

MRC: you are an engineer and you like the design of this gun eh? I can see why. Runs REAL well. THANKS AGAIN for the hot tip on an excellent firearm.

So to date we have bought the gun for $675 + tax

Laser grips for $270

3 xtra mags (one is an 8 round) $70

For a total of $1015

I definately feel like I have a SOLID piece of steel in the pocket/waist band with a great warranty and now laser for this investment.

Is the black starting to come off? Yep it sure is at the base where the mags feed. I view it as patina. My R9 also is experiencing the same.

Is it for everybody? Probably not. I'm kinda like LJ it seems. I like mouse guns. That's kinda what I find myself drawn to and I like having one I can do some pretty heavy training with. It's nice to do more than target practice. I feel like this piece is more of a micro fighting pistol whereas the R9 is more of a gentleman's piece to carry as a backup or in a civil environment where you could get a problem. This will dump a mag of +P in a hurry on target. Different roles that they fill for sure, but I think if you are in the market for something you can carry often shoot often this would be a nice one to have.

I guess that's it for now. If I didn't see the views going up I would quit posting on here. But it seems a few are watching ever so quitely. Shhhhhhhhhhhh. Read much and post little. Wait... If everybody does that their won't be anything to read but old news. Just sayin. At the same time if ya got nothing to say I guess it is best to shut up. I'm shutting up now :)

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:32:52 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 07:49:34 AM »
JoshA said

"MRC: you are an engineer and you like the design of this gun eh? I can see why. Runs REAL well. THANKS AGAIN for the hot tip on an excellent firearm."

Josh, yes I like the Solo as a carry gun.  The one thing I do not like about it is the ambidextrous magazine release.  I will say though, it has not been a problem for me when carrying.

I would caution you that pistols this small do not have the durability of say a steel framed 1911.  They can be worn out and shot until they are useless to the owner.  +P ammo will speed this process up.

One thing I would check if I were you is the slide/barrel locking lugs on your Solo.  This point takes a lot of abuse and can be damaged.  I do like the Sig/Glock type lockup better than the Kimber Solo tyoe.

I know there are people here who will disagree, but the polymer framed pistols have proven themselves to be more durable than the alloy framed pistols.  Weight reduction is just an added bonus.