Author Topic: 357 sig Sounds like a real showstopper... I just bought a sig 239 : )  (Read 18473 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
I am somewhat interested in this cartridge. I like the fact that it has been counted as a very potent handgun round as well as being offered in a small frame handgun. I like it better than the 45 conceptually because you can get more rounds in a small package.

I'm not the biggest double action /single action fan and really like the Glock format.

It seems there is not a single stack .357 out there except for a Sig 239. Is that correct or is anybody else have an answer for this? I've looked into a 357 sig barrel for a shield 40 or other single stack 40's, like a Kahr to no avail.

If Glock would make a single stack 9 then perhaps they will also make a 40 and then someone will pick up on the 357 sig barrel for the 40. It would actually fill two gaps in the market out there. The single stack glock as well as a single stack 357 other than sig.

Any other ideas on how to get to a single stack 357 sig.? Anyone have any experience carrying a 329? I am afraid of the weight quite frankly. And the trigger.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:33:45 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: 357 sig Sounds like a real showstopper
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 04:53:22 PM »

I think you mean the Sig 239, which is an excellent pistol.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »

Also, you can easily convert your G-27 to a .357 Sig caliber with an after market barrel from Storm Lake Barrels, for example. I own several Storm Lake barrels, one for a G-22 and one for a G-26 in the same 9mm caliber and like them very much. Storm Lake makes a specific .357 Sig barrel for your G-27.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 07:24:13 PM »

I think you mean the Sig 239, which is an excellent pistol.

I guess I got lisdexic. Sorry ::) You are right. 239.  I changed it on the original post. Thanks Tracker.

I have a bunch of German sigs, but have never gotten super confident with the double action single action. I do have the 357 barrel for my Glock 27. It is quite a handful in the little, light polymar gun IMO. Very accurate but it tends to send a shockwave through the body when running a box through. I like the idea of the heavier stainless steel slide and alloy frame of the 239.

I've been eyeing one for a while.

Hmmmmmmmm.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 07:47:55 PM »

You can't have it both ways with a .357 Sig and a lightweight concealed carry gun. As has been previously mentioned your hearing will be damaged if you fire a .357 anything without hearing protection.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
It's an interesting piece to me. It would be about the equivalent of toting a officer sized 1911, but a few more rounds and potentially better ballistics.

I do always practice with hearing protection, but realize .357 sig is excessively loud.

It seems to fill a niche that I would like to have in the collection.

Hmmmmmmmm.

John Stuart Mill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 08:45:02 PM »

It looks like the big boys in Texas law enforcement like the .45 or the .357 Sig.

FACTS ABOUT GUNS
GUN REVIEWS
GEAR REVIEWS
FORUM
PRO SHOP

Texas DPS SOG Picks the SIG SAUER 1911 TACOPS
By Dan Zimmerman on October 19, 2012

No, the caps lock isn’t stuck. DPS SOG? That’s Department of Public Safety, Special Operations Group to you and me. And SIG wants you to know that the Texas Rangers won’t be carrying some plastic fantastic on their appointed rounds. Instead, they’ve decided to pack SIG’s big boy tactical 1911. Press release after the jump . . .

EXETER, N.H. (Oct 17, 2012) — SIG SAUER®,  a U.S.-based leading manufacturer of law enforcement and military firearms, has been selected by the Texas Department of Public Safety’s (DPS) Special Operations Group (SOG) to provide .45 Auto 1911 TACOPs as the agency’s official sidearm.

The SOG is the tactical unit of the Texas DPS that includes the Texas Ranger Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Team, the Texas Ranger Reconnaissance Team, and the Special Response Team.

“SIG SAUER has a long history of service with the famed Texas Rangers, and are honored to see it continue,” said Gary Wade, SIG SAUER vice president of law enforcement, government and military sales. “It’s fitting that such a renowned agency has selected what many consider the all-American handgun in the 1911.”

The intensive testing process began when the group sought out a large-caliber handgun capable of making fast and accurate follow-up shots. After intensive endurance and environmental testing was concluded, the SIG SAUER 1911 TACOPs pistol was selected by the Texas Ranger SWAT Team. Since then, DPS SOG has authorized officers the option of carrying either the 1911 TACOPs or their duty issued SIG SAUER P226 DAK in .357SIG.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 09:06:16 PM »
Now you have my wheels turning.

I saw this gun on sigs web site a while ago and think it's a really cool concept.

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/01/sig-sauer-tacops-1911-357sig-full-size-pistol/#axzz3KQ22AXZR

Here is a brief article on the 4 varieties they offer in the 1911/.357 sig combo. 2 of them are compact carry models.

Thanks for the article about the Rangers Tracker.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 09:31:56 PM »
http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911carry-nightmare.aspx

Very cool gun, but it is approx 9 oz heavier than the 239. I have a 511 sig 1911 fastback that doesn't get carried due to weight. Slim enough and I think I could get along with the cocked and locked concept of carrying a 1911 with the help of a training aid to always rest the thumb on the safety when firing a 1911, but that weight is a stopper for me.

If I fall in love with the .357 sig cartridge perhaps I would talk myself into one for a bedside or a car gun.

It is a beauty. And such a neat idea to couple the 1911 with such an innovative, powerful round. I think I will add this to my top 10 reasons NOT to mess with a Ranger ever, ever, ever. Those are some bad dudes. Glad to be on the same side of the law as them : )

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 08:11:33 AM »
I have always liked he 357 sig and have had conversions for all my Glocks and my 229 Sig also.

In my opinion, the Glock 23 is the best platform for the 357.  You have 13 +1 capacity of a very accurate, easy to shoot, and devastating round on a DAO Glock format.  Suits me fine.

I also put a 6" BarSto barrel chambered for 9 X25 Dillon in my G20.  That makes quite a combination.  A 125 gr bullet at 1700+ fps with 15 + 1 capacity.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 11:49:18 AM »
I think I will order a conversion barrel for my G23 and I may end up with the 239 as well. I'm just such a sucker for an older German Sig at a fair price even though they are heavy and have "the trigger". Maybe I can carry the single stack model. If not I will entertain the 23 and try the 27 a little more. It was a lot of juice for the little 27 IMO.

An interesting thing about the recoil was that my shots were as accurate or more accurate than running the 9 mm barrel. It's like the shock went out in all directions rather than a muzzle flip from the 40 or a  push back like a 45. Quite an interesting little round.

I was also entertaining getting a model 29 and looking at the conversion barrel for the 9 x 25 Dylan. I guess I just figure that the 357 sig is my next logical step to evolve in. I really like .357 sig conceptually. A buddy of mine carries one in a Glock 32 in North Carolina. He has black bear problems around his campsite quite frequently and feels very confident in that round for Black bear. I think he does not load hollow points though. I'm pretty sure he loads it with heavy cast lead or some sort of hardball.

John Stuart Mill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 12:54:34 PM »

Several years ago I asked a Texas State Highway Patrolman why they switched from the .40 S&W to the .357 Sig and he told me that the .357 Sig groups were considerably tighter than the .40 S&W. So, you have the desired combination of stopping power and accuracy. The cost of ammo and availability may be a different matter for the average gun toting citizen, however.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »
I am thinking that a .40 conversion barrel or Georgia arms will help this guy get enough time behind the trigger so that we don't break the proverbial bank trying to get good with the pistolé.

Also, on ammunition depot I have been buying 50 round boxes of .357 sig in Ranger T and HST for about $35 a box. Not bad IMO. Lawman is also not too bad either.

I also found that 124 gr 9mm  Lawman on Lucky gunner for about .25 per round. Stocked up for the R9's, Kimber Solo and whatever else I may want to shoot quality 124 grain out of. I think i was paying about .21 per round for junky 115 gr tulamo. Glad to see availability up and prices down-ish.

Stocking up before prices and availability get iffy again.

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 08:50:35 AM »
htt
If I fall in love with the .357 sig cartridge perhaps I would talk myself into one for a bedside or a car gun.
----------------
Fire that thing in a car and immediately research hearing aid options!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 09:02:35 AM »
htt
----------------
Fire that thing in a car and immediately research hearing aid options!

This is a good insight. Thanks backup.

John Stuart Mill