Author Topic: Anyone have experience with a Glock 30 S + FRANKENGLOCK  (Read 7745 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Anyone have experience with a Glock 30 S + FRANKENGLOCK
« on: February 02, 2015, 04:53:42 PM »
ok so it's dead on here this Monday after the super bowl, so I figure I will post this and attempt some feedback.

I like the Glock 36, but hate carrying a spare Glock mag because they are so thick.

I like a 1911 ultra carry 2 and a spare mag is bearable, BUT as I started looking at weight and measurements on the Glock 30 S I learned it weighs loaded just about what my ultra carry II weighs empty and has an additional 3 rounds on board and is the Prefered (For me) striker fire system blah, blah, blah.

Well before I shell out $600 (tax on top of $529 & that doesn't get night sights either : ) for a G30 S I figured I would see how it carries on one of you guys. Is it just too big? It's a bit smaller than a G 19 and the same loaded weight.

If it works it could potentially replace my 36 and 21 and be a better carry option than either.

Thoughts anyone?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:36:59 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Anyone have experience with a Glock 30 S?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:12:37 PM »
I have no personal experience with the Glock 30, but I have several friends who have them and really like them.  Of course these guys have never met a Glock they did not love.

I have all but given up on the Boberg XR45 and found a XDs 45 at a good price and picked it up.  The original owner shot 50 rounds through it and brought it back to the same store and traded it on a XDs 9mm because of recoil.

I have only shot it twice but I really like it.  It is not a pocket gun anyway and it came with the extended mag so with 7 +1 rounds of 45 it has pretty good firepower.  Recoil is very manageable and accuracy is great.  I have had no malfunctions so far.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 08:22:32 PM »
I have no personal experience with the Glock 30, but I have several friends who have them and really like them.  Of course these guys have never met a Glock they did not love.

I have all but given up on the Boberg XR45 and found a XDs 45 at a good price and picked it up.  The original owner shot 50 rounds through it and brought it back to the same store and traded it on a XDs 9mm because of recoil.

I have only shot it twice but I really like it.  It is not a pocket gun anyway and it came with the extended mag so with 7 +1 rounds of 45 it has pretty good firepower.  Recoil is very manageable and accuracy is great.  I have had no malfunctions so far.

I really like the XDS AS WELL. NEVER HAD AN ISSUE OUT OF IT (100-200 rds) IT ACTUALLY BECAME MUCH BETTER TO SHOOT WHEN I PUT A SET OF TALON GRIPS ON IT AND A PIERCE  +0 EXTENSION. LOVE THE SIGHTS TOO.

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE G30. Debating ...

What's the issue with the Boberg MRC ?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:26:37 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 08:51:41 PM »
Once I got the magazine thing straightened out the Boberg has been very reliable.  All it took to fix the magazines was to take one coil off.

My problem and many others also is the trigger.  The pull length on the 45 is 1/4" longer than the 9mm.  It is just too long for me to reach.  Now I shoot Wildey's and Auto Mags and grips don't get any larger than those guys, but they have a fairly descent single action trigger.  The XR45 has a v-e-r-y l-o-n-g pull and an equally long reset.  By the time you get off 7 round of rapid fire my hand is turning on the grip and I am losing it along with accuracy.

The striker fired XDs is just fine.  I think I am done with DAO hammer fired pistols.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:54:08 PM by MRC »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »
FWIW; Here is an interesting combination: Mating a Gen 3 Glock 36 slide with a Gen 4 Glock 30 frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsgwu61j55g
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:32:06 PM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 09:19:59 PM »
Once I got the magazine thing straightened out the Boberg has been very reliable.  All it took to fix the magazines was to take one coil off.

My problem and many others also is the trigger.  The pull length on the 45 is 1/4" longer than the 9mm.  It is just too long for me to reach.  Now I shoot Wildey's and Auto Mags and grips don't get any larger than those guys, but they have a fairly descent single action trigger.  The XR45 has a v-e-r-y l-o-n-g pull and an equally long reset.  By the time you get off 7 round of rapid fire my hand is turning on the grip and I am losing it along with accuracy.

The striker fired XDs is just fine.  I think I am done with DAO hammer fired pistols.

I see. Thanks for the explanation. The XDS is nice IMO.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 09:34:02 PM »

FWIW; Here is an interesting combination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsgwu61j55g

Ahhh. The Frankenglock. Yes. I actually thought about buying a 29 SF so I could do this and keep my 36 and add a 29 SF and a 30 S with only one additional purchase. In other words 3 guns for the price of 2 : )

When I called Glock and asked them if the 36 slide and the 30 S slides were identical he repeatedly answered and said we would recomend that you just buy the 30 S. I would then ask AGAIN "is the 36 slide and the 30 S slide the same or are there differences?". He answered the question as if on a stand in a court of law and when I pointed out that he wasn't answering the question (very politely I might add) he finally said that it had a different configuration. Lol. I think he may have been lying (ok perhaps it was mental gymnastics to "tell the truth"), but who knows.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:35:59 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 09:47:47 PM »
For those who may be perplexed by this hybrid combination the Glock 36 slide is 1.10" wide versus the Glock 30 slide width of 1.27". The Glock 30 has a magazine capacity of 10 and the Glock 36 mag is a single stack of 6.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:08:47 PM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 10:29:03 PM »
Sorry. I just read my post and it looks quite atrocious. Sorry all. Thanks Tracker.

I may go that way in the end. I do go to Canada (Black bear) and a 10 mm would be on the bucket list if I could get rid of an extra gun or two first. I also would like to try out  for the 30 s if it's not too much for the IWB. seems a bit chunky.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:21:09 PM »
I looked a 30 S over at the LGS today and it wasn't appreciably larger than my G27.

I really think I may buy a gen 4 G29 and a 30 mag and slap on a 36 slide and rock a Frankenglock.

Say I won't : )

I can hear all of you fellow Americans rolling your eyeballs now. Haha. Such a potent package of 11, 45 ACP or 14 with a G 21 mag and a $12 grip adaptor. Only 3 oz heavier than a G27. Wow. I know I'm a nerd, but what else stacks up to that size, shootability, weight and fire power?

I realize it's not the only gun manufacturer that can make a good pistol, but when you look at the numbers it is impressive IMO especially when added to reliability.

Anyone have a good reason on why I should not Frankenglock?? Any reports of failure?

Here is a good read on the "birth of the G30 S". It was really around a lot sooner than this in the hands of Glock enthusiasts.

http://americanhandgunner.com/the-glock-30s/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:33:50 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Anyone have experience with a Glock 30 S + FRANKENGLOCK
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 02:36:46 PM »
Ok. I love the G30S. Initially anyway. Not much bigger than a G27. Same weight as a 19. 11 powerful .45 acp. Slap a light and a extended grip in for bedside protection if desired.

Allows me to lose the G21 if desired and really get down to one primary gun for home and CCW.

Ran 150 rounds of typical Wally World special. 3 different types.

Smooth.

Purchased a gen 4 G29 and a mag for a G 30. Slapped my 36 slide on it and away we went.

Why you ask? Oh, glad you asked. For the mere (haha) price of 2 guns I have 3 in essence.

Slim G36 for light weight and highest concealability.

G29 to take into the woods of Canada or wherever bear may be present.

G30 S (aka FrankenGLOCK) for 11 round capability and the ability to bump up to the G21 mags with the gripXTEND product that makes it like one grip.

Cool thing is that it weighs in LOADED at the same approx weight of my Kimber ultra carry II

Anyone want to buy a Kimber ultra carry II and a Glock 21?

So far I'm lovin it. I'll continue to annoy you fellows with updates.

Thanks for the idea Tracker. That's another $600 this forum has cost me. Haha.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:07:44 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »
Good on you, Josh; that is very creative. Your lgs must love to see you walk in the door.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »
Good on you, Josh; that is very creative. Your lgs must love to see you walk in the door.

That probably explains why they always tend to laugh when I'm leaving. Haha.

I am thinking this will end up being one of my long term favorite CCW pieces. If 30 oz is an acceptable Belt holster weight, you are not opposed the the "G" word and you are looking for a great balance of firepower, weight, recoil manageability, footprint (LxHxW) and all of the normal perks that come with owning a Glock then I would recommend giving this a look see.

Honestly it has kind of flown under the radar in my search for a great (Ok perfect) CCW package.

As I was weighing whether or not to make the Frankenglock Come to life I seem to remember that Massad Ayoob tends to favor one as well. If my memory is serving me correctly I can see why.

Anyway I'll look forward to seeing if it grows as fond to me as the G26/27/33 format has.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:26:45 AM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »
Good read if you are remotely interested in the G30S

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2013/04/perfection-refined/2/

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 11:06:39 PM »
Well we are at 400 rounds without one issue out of the FrankenGlock as of today.

Not one FTE or FTF of course.

Just received the Xgrip for the G21 mag and quick attach Glock light. I think this would in essence allow me to rid myself of the G21 and have amazing versatility between 3 Glock pistols.

G27 with 9,.40 and .357 sig barrels
G36 7 rounds of slim .45
G29 10 mm for black bear protection

36+29 = FrankenGlock or G30S

I dare say that it has a R9 quality about it in one sense...

It has the most power in the smallest package in .45. I don't think there is a better fire power to size/weight ratio out there. Please give me the heads up if there is.

Of course that's where it ends as any other comparisons would border on ridiculous, but think about it. 11 rounds of .45 in a 30 oz package. No real need (debatable) for a spare mag. Über reliable. I know it's just a Glock, but it is a fine machine. Not the only fine machine, but for IWB carry its a bunch of very controllable power in a small and lightweight and reliable and rugged and accesorizable and affordable package. Ok I'm a little stoked about this addition to big fire power in a small package piece.

For those who care it's about like carrying a G19 or G23. Same basic weight and just a bit smaller.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:45:43 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill