Author Topic: AR-15 Ideas  (Read 11194 times)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
AR-15 Ideas
« on: March 12, 2015, 07:12:45 AM »
 I have a Noveske Lower that has been in my safe for years. I have decided to build it up and give it to one of my "kids" (All in their 30's). So I am trying to make up my mind on components. I just purchased a LWRC 16" Piston Upper Assy w/ threaded Barrel and Mid Legth free floating hand guard, so the upper is taken care of. What I need to decide on now are, Trigger assembly (Going w/ drop in type), optics, BUIS, And Lower components. I am kicking around building out the lower using Nickle Boron coated pieces just for the look and extra lubrication. (Anyone have any experience with these parts?) Any ideas on optics and BUIS? Any Trigger preferences? I am thinking of Timney but am open to other ideas.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: AR-15 Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 11:10:45 AM »

Depending on how far you want to go I'm sure that David Tubb has a few ideas, including springs:

http://www.davidtubb.com

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 11:46:55 AM »
Wow! I checked him out. That man can talk about springs!  I may have to call him as my trigger setup will not have user servicable springs and my Upper assembly Group comes with a Buffer spring and bolt matched up by LWRC for the Piston setup. So I am curios as to his thoughts on whether I should do anything with the springs I am sent.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 01:23:43 PM »
I like my magpul BUIS, for the optics look at the Vortex Strike-fire 2, you can pick them up for sub $200 and they have a life time warranty to include fire. For the trigger that is all on the person firing it, I like a nice 2 stage trigger but to be honest a stock Colt 6920 trigger is ok. I would get a mil spec heavy buffer, tube, and stock over a commercial one, but that is just me. Post some pic when you get it done, and good luck with the parts search!

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 03:17:26 PM »
Are you running the Polymer Magpul BUIS or Pro version?

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 08:00:10 PM »
I have the polymer one right now and it seems to hold a zero, but I also don't use it much other to ensure it's still zeroed. I have the A-frame fix front site right now so only the singe rear site. I am going to change it out  for a black one, as well as the rest of the furniture one day and set the weapon up just as I had in Afghanistan.   If you need both then I would look at the pro, especially if you plan on using them often.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:25:13 AM »
Sounds good. I will look into the Pro. I am on the fence between Magpul or Diamond Head for BUIS. I found and ordered a trigger guard yesterday. It is made by Magpul and Modified by Molon Labe'. Has the USN Fouled Anchor cut into it in gold color. Very unusual touch, it is the same emblem worn by all Navy Chiefs, I like little custom touches. And thanks for serving Bro.

Chief
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:40:59 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 06:51:51 AM »
What kind of Optics are you guys running on your AR's?

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »
Just ordered my Butt Stock. Took alot of digging but found one that does everything I am looking for. Collapsible, Recoil reduction, rubber pad, 5 sling locations, adjustable cheek pad, battery storage, and picatinny rail
It is made by Fab Defense Called the GL-ShockPCP. Made in Israel. Really a nice piece.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 06:31:19 PM »
post some pictures when you get done building it.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 07:10:01 AM »
Will do, It will be a while yet for a few reasons. Such as 1. I am not in a hurry, want to find just the right parts , plus it is not a necessity just a fun thing to do. and 2. Most of what I seem to be finding that I want is not available locally as I am not just throwing together a gun. One of the reasons I was looking for a "recoil reduction" type stock was that I am building a piston gun (LWRC) and they tend to kick more than the direct impingement type .

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »
Well, everything is ordered with the exception of Sites, Optics, and Drop-in trigger assy. Alot of companies it seems do not ship in a hurry. (good example is Brownells)

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
 I was just poking around Craigslist this morning and found a guy selling a new set of Diamond Head BUIS.  Took me about 10 minutes to call hime and leave to pick them up. One more thing off my list of needs and saved money! Win Win. Very nice sights. Now just need trigger assembly and optics. (In addition to lower parts I am waiting for from Brownells.
Chief

Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »
cool, one step closer to pics!

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 07:34:26 AM »
Yup, getting closer, Brownells seems to be my largest hold up. Looking at drop in fire control assemblies now. On the fence between CMC Straight trigger and Timney. CMC has the edge on price right off the bat being $100 cheaper .

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member