Author Topic: Hedley Holster question  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Hedley Holster question
« on: February 21, 2006, 01:40:33 PM »
Should I oil/wax it at all?

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Hedley Holster question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:10:33 PM »
I've owned a number of RJ's pocket holsters for several years and use wax rather than oil for their maintenance.  Back in the days when I owned horses and was using neatsfoot oil to treat the leather tack, I would also use it on my holsters.  Neatsfoot oil can be pretty messy, though, and I no longer use it for holster maintenance.

Most of my pocket holsters are black.  If one of them begins to lose color at the wear points, I use alcohol to strip off the wax, re-dye it with Fiebing's Leather Dye, and then reapply the wax.

If you can find it, Renaissance Wax is about as good as it gets.  Otherwise, I use plain old Kiwi Paste Polish (the soldier's friend).
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 07:58:23 PM »

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 08:04:09 PM »
That's "the Right Stuff"!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Seven

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 09:19:13 PM »
Yeah, that's one of the waxes I use for book conservation, as well.  You can get it from www.lightimpressionsdirect.com as item #8282 for $19.95 + shipping.  It'll last you forever.

Another really good product is Hewit's "Leather Cleaning & Preservative Wax".  Hewit is a British leather-supplier (for very high end leathers such as I use), and this product is perfect for cleaning and rejuvenating all leathers (except suedes).  You'll probably have to Google it for a supplier.

Like Science Fiction?  Read my novel for free:  
http://www.communionofdreams.com/

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 01:42:04 PM »
Are there different "right" products for differently tanned leathers (oil vs vegetable, vs chrome)?
Welcome home

Offline Seven

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 12:26:05 AM »
Not to my knowledge, though I'm really only familiar with the vegetable-tanned ones.  Since you're dealing with micro-crystalline waxes (both Rensaissance & Hewit), which are chemically inert, it shouldn't matter.  

Like Science Fiction?  Read my novel for free:  
http://www.communionofdreams.com/